Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #21

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
FWIW, I have never owned a Mainship, but I have worked on several that had poorly engineered exhaust systems that allowed salt water contamination of the turbo, leading to catastrophic engine failure.
Boatdiesel.com and sbmar.com have lots of info on the topic, might be a good idea to educate oneself about this issue before buying.
Never assume that just because it was built that way it is all good.
Engineering gets trumped by aesthetics, and things go wrong.

kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #22

City: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
FWIW, I have never owned a Mainship, but I have worked on several that had poorly engineered exhaust systems that allowed salt water contamination of the turbo, leading to catastrophic engine failure.
Never assume that just because it was built that way it is all good.

SOOO True

I believe most of the exhaust backflood issues were with the 34 Pilots, I don't believe I have ever heard of a 350/390 with this issue.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #23
Guru

The poor exhaust design that leads to water intrusion became mort prevalent around 2000 and hull numbers 198 or so when Mainship started using the Cat 3126 engines. They did not take advantage of the full engine room height with a dry riser thus allowing water to back into the turbo and engine during rough weather when the engine was either not running or at idle.
There were two boats that were trailered (by Mainship) to Ca and were loaded bow down. Both were ruined. Mainship refused to admit there was a design issue with the exhaust and blamed it on a "mistake" of shipping bow down.
Even after several more engines became hydrolocked due to water intrusion Mainship kept denying the issue and continued to use the poor design.
Eventually Mainship performed a fix under a "silent recall" program (they would only repair if someone complained to them). The fix was also poor but it was cheap to do.
Bottom line if you buy one of these models, change the exhaust riser to take full advantage of the engine room height.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
I am on my 3rd Mainship, my first being a Mainship 390. As a trawler platform, the boat was great. Honestly, the only reason we went to the Mainship Pilot's was due a bridge that I have go under when leaving our dock.

My 390 had a single Yanmar 315, which moved us along at about 10-12 knots cruising speed. With the standard bow thruster, backing into a slip was quite easy, even with crosswind. Thoughts on a single diesel is that it is reliable, and most failures are due to fuel issues. Another thought comes from an old article from Capt Pike, where it is noted that when you have one engine you treat it well, with two it is double the expense. Full economy was excellent (something I miss with the Pilot 43). The 390 moves well with a single, and I believe that it was designed that way.

My wife and I have covered the northeast with the 390. It served us well. Enjoy!

IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote