After using our MS 34 HT for a couple of seasons I finally found the source of periodic water in the bilge to be the hull - deck joint.
I repaired / resealed it last fall / this spring and happy to report the fix appears to be "permanent".
I summarized findings and fixes on our boat website and have posted a link over on the Yahoo MS forum.
I thought I'd also post it here so other Mainshipers (as well as other brands) might benefit from the learnings. I've had some comments re: which type of sealant / caulk is appropriate and whether to remove the rubrail at all or simply caulk the external joint as needed.
I don't wish to start a sealant caulk debate so I've suggested that anyone interested do some research and draw their own conclusions re: which caulk is best... although I have provided a few links that support my leaning
1. - Removing the PVC / SS rubrail does provide the ability to fix the root cause of the leakage
2. - For those of us in freezing climes I'd rather NOT have trapped water anywhere it can freeze and create additional problems
3. - I don't want to escalate any debate regarding the +/- of silicone - I'd encourage folks to do their own investigation of the many / varied sources of info and draw their own conclusions.
The link to my summary is on our boat "Bacchus
" website. (See "Bacchus" Projects Pg 4
This includes diagrams, several links to other boaters experience and several resources / articles re: sealants and their selection.
I'd encourage any / all who are experiencing leakage to explore the summary & links and draw their own conclusion.
I'd also like to acknowledge and thank Steven Cyr - another Mainship owner - who has done a fantastic job of sharing his Mainship info on his Stella Blue website (link provided in my summary)
If others have experience, photos, etc of a similar hull - deck joint repair project I'd encourage them to share it here