What are your boating goals of 2024 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo42

Guru
Vessel Name
Endless Summer
Vessel Make
1979 Defever 49
Since there was a topic of 2023 I was kind of curious what all the plans are for 2024.

To kick it off here are our plans are basically set in stone and unless the boat breaks down it looks like this:

Mid March - back to the boat in Kos, Greece and prepare for departure

April - depart Greece, check into Turkey for about 1 month, cruising the area of Bodrum, Marmaris, Gutchek.

May - back to Kos at the end of April, stock up and wait for good weather to cross the Aegean sea. Pass the Channel of Corinthe on the way to the Ionian sea. Pass by Corfu to finally get the alternators hooked up to the wakespeed controllers.

June - make the passage from Corfu to bay of Kotar in Montenegro and then into Croatia. Hanging around in the southern part until the last week, then make our way up to the Northern part of Croatia (Istria) to park the boat near the Roman Arena in Pula for a concert of the Simpe Minds (big fan):thumb:

July - remain in the norhtern part of Croatia to be in Venice, Italy on 20 July for festa del Redentore. Only time in the year you are allowed to pass through Venice with your own dinghy and watch the fireworks show around midnight from your anchorage in front of Piazza San Marco.

Aug - make our way back to South Croatia, visit Kornati national park and hang around the Southern islands, on anchor and as far away as we can from the charter boats :)

Sept - make the passage back to the Ionian, hang around islands of Kefalonia, Zakynthos, Kastos, Ithaka, Lefkas etc

Oct -Nov lift out and repair the deck, removing all the teak and replacing it with marinedeck 2000, plus painting the boat.

Dec winterstorage and leaving the boat in Greece

Expected total distance and hours: 2000 nm and around 400 hrs incl 3 x 36 hour passage.

2024 cruising goals?

1.Make it to Costa Rica (Pacific side) by end of April. Leave boat there for summer

2. Return to Costa Rica in early October and head to Panama Canal.

Peter

Our boat is an ongoing project. Every year I plan to improve the boat .
May 2024: work on the boat on the hard.
Repair goals are:
  • repair damaged fiberglass outer walls at the rear of the cabin
  • Add portholes in the stateroom and head.
  • Bottomcoat
  • Add extra freshwater tank
  • Add day tank and plumbing.
  • Repair swim platform strut(leaks)

We plan to splash end of May.

Then the rest of the summer, live on the boat and cruise around the Great Lakes, Thousand Islands and perhaps up the Rideau.
Haul out for us is always the end of September due to low water in Lake Ontario, especially at our home marina.

Last edited:
We're planning our usual attempt for a long season on Lake Ontario (early April to late October). Only trip planned so far is to travel more of the Erie Canal and meet up with a family friend. Other than that, the goal is just to do as much travel as we can manage within time and money constraints. Maybe we'll run into Max1 somewhere.

No big boat projects planned for this year. Just maintenance and hopefully adding AIS and fuel flow meters.

No big boat projects planned for this year. Just maintenance and hopefully adding AIS and fuel flow meters.

Any idea which fuel flow meters you will be installing ? Have been thinking about them as well, is a bit more accurate and faster than measuring our day tank all the time.

Haul out for us is always the end of September due to low water in Lake Ontario, especially at our home marina.

Is that low water due to not enough rain fall or has it always been like this ? Have seen several videos of the great lakes, would be nice to be able to go there once

Is that low water due to not enough rain fall or has it always been like this ? Have seen several videos of the great lakes, would be nice to be able to go there once

Lake Ontario's water level varies seasonally. Late fall is usually the lowest level. Actual levels vary year to year, and how low the water needs to get before it's a problem varies depending on where you're trying to go. Some places are deeper than others and some marinas are better about dredging than others. Our home marina has never been shallow enough to concern us in the fall, for example. There was one year we were down to 2 feet under the props in our slip, but that was an unusually low water year (and the approach to our slip was a couple feet deeper still).

Any idea which fuel flow meters you will be installing ? Have been thinking about them as well, is a bit more accurate and faster than measuring our day tank all the time.

I'm planning on adding the Simrad NMEA2000 sensors, as they're the cheapest solution I can come up with. No good for diesels though as they can't account for return flow. My engines are gas, so no issue there.

Since there was a topic of 2023 I was kind of curious what all the plans are for 2024.

To kick it off here are our plans are basically set in stone and unless the boat breaks down it looks like this:

Mid March - back to the boat in Kos, Greece and prepare for departure

April - depart Greece, check into Turkey for about 1 month, cruising the area of Bodrum, Marmaris, Gutchek.

May - back to Kos at the end of April, stock up and wait for good weather to cross the Aegean sea. Pass the Channel of Corinthe on the way to the Ionian sea. Pass by Corfu to finally get the alternators hooked up to the wakespeed controllers.

June - make the passage from Corfu to bay of Kotar in Montenegro and then into Croatia. Hanging around in the southern part until the last week, then make our way up to the Northern part of Croatia (Istria) to park the boat near the Roman Arena in Pula for a concert of the Simpe Minds (big fan):thumb:

July - remain in the norhtern part of Croatia to be in Venice, Italy on 20 July for festa del Redentore. Only time in the year you are allowed to pass through Venice with your own dinghy and watch the fireworks show around midnight from your anchorage in front of Piazza San Marco.

Aug - make our way back to South Croatia, visit Kornati national park and hang around the Southern islands, on anchor and as far away as we can from the charter boats :)

Sept - make the passage back to the Ionian, hang around islands of Kefalonia, Zakynthos, Kastos, Ithaka, Lefkas etc

Oct -Nov lift out and repair the deck, removing all the teak and replacing it with marinedeck 2000, plus painting the boat.

Dec winterstorage and leaving the boat in Greece

Expected total distance and hours: 2000 nm and around 400 hrs incl 3 x 36 hour passage.

That’s some serious cruising M, so much culture and diversity in the Eastern Med, all while enjoying the crystal clear and warm water, by July and August.
I hope you’ll be submitting cruising reports and updates during the season, hope all goes well :thumb:

My boating goal is to not to have to call my insurance company. :D

We are planning a 2-3 weeks on the eastern Erie Canal from Lake Champlain, so also the Champlain Canal.

Having a job really buggers up the boating.

That’s some serious cruising M, so much culture and diversity in the Eastern Med, all while enjoying the crystal clear and warm water, by July and August.
I hope you’ll be submitting cruising reports and updates during the season, hope all goes well :thumb:

It sounds like a lot, but for all of you in the States it would be like going from New York to Miami. It is just that we have so many different countries in Europe that makes us cross a lot of them. :)

The Eastern Med is indeed a beautiful part to visit with a boat, it is also one of the reasons why we bought the boat. We have been making videos also this year, had planned to edit them this winter, but my computer broke down 2 weeks ago, still waiting for repair. :ermm:
Once it is back I can post some pictures and eventually can pass the links on Youtube.
But must say, I have seen BC on many Youtube videos, that looks absolutely magical. We would really like to go there with a boat as well.

For us, we are heading back up the Baja in May and will park the boat in Ensenada for the summer and over the winter, with a planned trip to SOCAL in the works.

This positions us for a early start up the coast in 25 exploring to Alaska.

We will be staying close to home this summer. We will go downeast to Lubec and Eastport Maine, then up the St. Croix river to Calais. We may cross into Canada at St. Andrews and head for the St. John river in New Brunswick. Then possibly over to Nova Scotia for scallops at Digby and then maybe past Yarmouth toward Halifax and then ???

No real plans. The Admiral said that she would just like to cruise with no schedule.

1. More long weekends and vacation time on the boat this year. We always say that, but it's a constant battle to shield our boat time from all the other demands in life.

2. If I finish the season with my to-do list shorter, or even net-even, I'll be happy. Hate it when the list is longer in October than it was in April.

3. If I can get the radar arch rehab all squared away, that'll be very satisfying. It's time for a total re-do. Two new GPS mushrooms, remove the old TV saucer antenna that's now obsolete, new AIS antenna, new VHF antenna, install the new radar unit (open array), bolt on the new masthead pole and light, run all those connection and power cables, and finally get the dinghy derrick installed on the aft deck roof. (We're not putting the dinghy up there, some do but we have enough windage already -- no, just an aluminum pipe affair to lift the dinghy out of the water to the swim step.) If I can spend enough time on the aft deck roof 18 feet in the air this summer to get all that done, I'll be happy.

Building this year.

Awaiting a final quote from a shipyard in Vietnam, then will decide between them or a couple in China. Targeting April to fly out with the wife to visit and finalize.

Lavrio, Greece > Piraeus > Ionian > Italian coast to Toulon, France for the winter.

Westward is for sure, but the route above is only tentative at this point. To be researched further and decided upon later in January. Our long-range goal is be back at our home harbor in southern Sweden by the end of 2025.

January- re-varnish helm ladder
February- fuel filters, new turbo blankets/zinks
March- replace the 4 side windows/ spring series sailboat racing starts, thorough - June.
April- replace the old carpet with new carpet or vinyl
May- shrimp/lingcod opener in the San Juan’s 10 day trip
June- Port Townsend/Port Ludlow
July- 12 days in the San Juan’s/ 4th at Friday Harbor / log dodge sailing series every Friday night.
July-crabbing opens in Everett!
Aug-Salmon opens in Everett!
September- South Sound trip, Seattle/Poulsbo/Port Orchard.

Lavrio, Greece > Piraeus > Ionian > Italian coast to Toulon, France for the winter.

Westward is for sure, but the route above is only tentative at this point. To be researched further and decided upon later in January. Our long-range goal is be back at our home harbor in southern Sweden by the end of 2025.

This is also quite a trip by the time you get home, as is Kevin’s by the time he gets back to Alaska.

My only goal is to be back in the water by May and heading north up the east coast. I'm not sure of the final destination, but it's somewhere above Myrtle Beach.

I can NOT take another summer in Florida. If it somehow comes to that, I will move the boat from yard to storage and go back up north until October.

Lake Ontario is affected by the amount of rain and snow that falls in the surrounding areas over the course of the winter. The problem isn't the lake itself, it's the marinas. At my particular Marina, my draft is 4 ft and my slip is about 7 ft in the spring. In the fall it drops down to about 5 ft. There is some undulations in the silt surrounding the marina so even though I have 5 ft of depth at my slip, in some spots it could be as shallow as four feet when backing out. Once you're in the lake, depths are more than adequate all year long.

Currently in Mazatlan, MX, heading South. Plan is to leave MX NLT end of March, down to Costa Rica, then on down to Panama, and through the Canal.

Depending on some personal issues, we may continue on fairly rapidly, planning on spending a little time in Bocas del Torro, and San Blas Islands, MX, then up to Florida by 1 June.

Alternately, if we don't have to get back to the States, we may spend longer on the Caribbean side of Panama and depart from there for Florida after November 1st. We haven't decided yet if we're going to go East or West around Cuba.

Either way, we're looking at around 4000 nm with side trips, 620 or so engine hours, and about 1650 gallons of diesel.

The goal for next season when far away from home is the same every year: minimal surprises ....medical, dental, mechanical, weather. There will always be some of these that appear despite of the planning. Then you roll with the punches.

Last edited:
Some of my boating goals have already been accomplished,

1. Boat to Laughing Bird Caye and snorkel at the Park.

2. Cruise up the Monkey River and fly fish for tarpon.

Still to come,

3. Fly back to Seattle to watch the Huskey game at the yacht club. The club is then having their "Penguin Cruise." Brrrrr. I may skip that.

4. In February, cruise starting in Argentina out to Cape Horn. Land at the Cape (weather permitting).

5. In March, cruise up the coast of Chile through the fiords. Stop and hike in a few places. Spend some time in wine country during harvest season.

6. Return to Seattle to get ready for summer cruising. Last year, we left in June going north, but I'm thinking that it was too soon. Weather is nice, kids are in school, anchorages are empty starting in September, so maybe a later start this year. I watched Windy all this fall and getting back south around Cape Caution in November seemed a little spooky. There were 10 day stretches where I wouldn't want to be out there.

7. Wife wants to leave about December going south and towing our C-Dory. Cruise the Southwest over to southern Texas to see if there is any water left in the reservoirs. Maybe the Sea of Cortez. She said it sounds better than going to Hawaii for a couple months. What has boating done to her?

I have a lot to do. My boat is currently in heated storage where I can work on it. The only problem I have is that I am currently in phase three of rotator cuff surgery recovery. I have just under 5 months before the boat goes back in the water.
My boat is 45 years old, very solid except for some soft deck spots. The boat has not been updated for a long time and has had very little usage. I bought the boat with 1,310 hours on the engines with two previous owners and good records.
Steering: Remove the rudders and check for damage and corrosion, reinstall. Rebuild steering pumps, cylinders and replace all hydraulic lines.
Engines, replace all hoses and belts, service all accessories, rebuild synchronizers, boil out heat exchangers, remove rust and paint, rebuilt one raw water pump. Move racors, replace all rubber fuel lines.
Fuel system, replace all rubber fill hoses and repair fuel gauges.
Generator, rewire generator to auto start with the flip of a switch, remount wet muffler.
Stabilizers, remove fins and check for corrosion and rebuild if necessary, remove and rebuild all components, install dryer and after filter in system, figure out how to park them when off. Replace all air lines and service air compressors.
Air conditioning, AC pump looks vulnerable, redo and reroute, clean all evaporators and new drain hoses.
Power, go through all connections for corrosion and re-clamping broken or missing clamps. Figure out wiring and diagram. Go to LiFePO4 batteries.
Fire suppression, have system serviced.
Bilge, wash, and paint move and anchor trim ballast.
Sewage, replace all hoses and rebuild rear head.
Salon, build new dinette and repair rear wall. Refinish all teak throughout boat
Exterior, replace front windows and one side salon window, new window tracks, Fix spongy decks, two new Bimini tops, repair a couple of blisters, bottom paint, replace zincs, paint deck, repair teak table, install davits, new Ronca anchor, rebed all fittings, install new stair standoffs, redo, engine gauges, repair lights, new deck lights, refurbish mast and crane, polish hull.
Electronics, replace all electronics.
The above is a two-year project. Must prioritize for the next 5 months. Back in same heated storage for another winter then leave on loop and points beyond.
Launch late May
Summer trip will be from Sandusky Ohio back to roots in Traverse City and the North Channel for about 5 weeks. Lots of local boating as well. Approximately 1,200 -1,400 miles. About one tank of fuel.

New stereo in the saloon to replace in-op unit.

Rewiring to allow isolated LiFePo4 house bank from lead acid start batts.

After rewire and test, replace house batts with help. Just need some young bucks with strong backs - :)

Replace absorption fridge with 12 volt compressor model.

Do the Sacramento 4-5 day cruise. Which I wanted to do last year

Currently in the Bay of Islands for the traditional 3 week summer holiday break.
No where near as adventurous as last year but very relaxing.
Enjoying the new boat honeymoon period. The teething issues are behind us and at present,.......everything works.

The year to say goodbye to the old, and hello to the new.

Officially I retire 6/30/2024, but will be winding down my efforts and job time come late winter.

But, life will be frenetic between now and the time I can relax. Finish up the job and train replacement. Finish renovation of a 120 year old home in CT, list it. Sell it. Move. Do the work to get the boat launched in the spring. Do all of the administrative things to get pensions, SSS, Medicare, and related things fired up.

Boating will be a few days here and there for the first half of the season, inevitably given the other life tasks. Fingers crossed I can cast off docklines as close to 7/1 as possible, and spend the rest of the summer poking up the Chesapeake rivers and coves for as many 7-10 day jaunts as I can squeeze in for the remainder of the season.

Wow, you have a long trip ahead of you. Are you happy with Lavrio ? Good enough protection from the winter storms ?
Maybe see you somewhere in the Ionian :):thumb:

Last edited:
I have a lot to do. My boat is currently in heated storage where I can work on it. The only problem I have is that I am currently in phase three of rotator cuff surgery recovery. I have just under 5 months before the boat goes back in the water.
My boat is 45 years old, very solid except for some soft deck spots. The boat has not been updated for a long time and has had very little usage. I bought the boat with 1,310 hours on the engines with two previous owners and good records.
Steering: Remove the rudders and check for damage and corrosion, reinstall. Rebuild steering pumps, cylinders and replace all hydraulic lines.
Engines, replace all hoses and belts, service all accessories, rebuild synchronizers, boil out heat exchangers, remove rust and paint, rebuilt one raw water pump. Move racors, replace all rubber fuel lines.
Fuel system, replace all rubber fill hoses and repair fuel gauges.
Generator, rewire generator to auto start with the flip of a switch, remount wet muffler.
Stabilizers, remove fins and check for corrosion and rebuild if necessary, remove and rebuild all components, install dryer and after filter in system, figure out how to park them when off. Replace all air lines and service air compressors.
Air conditioning, AC pump looks vulnerable, redo and reroute, clean all evaporators and new drain hoses.
Power, go through all connections for corrosion and re-clamping broken or missing clamps. Figure out wiring and diagram. Go to LiFePO4 batteries.
Fire suppression, have system serviced.
Bilge, wash, and paint move and anchor trim ballast.
Sewage, replace all hoses and rebuild rear head.
Salon, build new dinette and repair rear wall. Refinish all teak throughout boat
Exterior, replace front windows and one side salon window, new window tracks, Fix spongy decks, two new Bimini tops, repair a couple of blisters, bottom paint, replace zincs, paint deck, repair teak table, install davits, new Ronca anchor, rebed all fittings, install new stair standoffs, redo, engine gauges, repair lights, new deck lights, refurbish mast and crane, polish hull.
Electronics, replace all electronics.
The above is a two-year project. Must prioritize for the next 5 months. Back in same heated storage for another winter then leave on loop and points beyond.
Launch late May
Summer trip will be from Sandusky Ohio back to roots in Traverse City and the North Channel for about 5 weeks. Lots of local boating as well. Approximately 1,200 -1,400 miles. About one tank of fuel.

It will be an incredible feat if you can accomplish you all of that. I applaud your abilities and will power to get it all done.

I have a lot to do....
Launch late May.

Wow, Pierre, I'm winded just looking at your list. You're completely rebuilding the entire boat, not just systems but soft cores. I'm sure somewhere in your near future it includes rebedding all the windows too.

Your list is exactly the reason I passed on a killer deal for a Hatt48LRC as I just don't have the energy anymore to completely rebuild a near-50 year old boat.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom