Vessel Monitoring? What do you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY

Guru
Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
I was on my boat here in San Diego on 12/22. Around 5PM I heard some gas engines somewhere nearby in the marina but was busy with work so just tuned it out. About 90 minutes later I shut down my PC and decided to check it out. About 4 slips down an older sportfisher was being attended to by one of the commercial tow boats. Had 2 or 3 large capacity pumps running (that was the noise I had heard 90 minutes ago). They pumped for several hours. Did not have all the details but from a short chat from the owner. Due to extenuating circumstances he had not been able to get to his boat much over the last year. Did not indicate the last time but I read it to be weeks or perhaps a month or two. When a friend arrived at the boat one of the engines was running and water was just about up to the valve covers. Apparently the water shorted the starter and the engine cranked! The result of this was the pumping cost him $5,000 (yes he had the annual card but it does not cover this service, that was a surprise to me!). He lost his genset. Most of the interior is shot (4 feet of water in the cabins). All the wiring is presumed to be toast. Uncertain about the engine conditions. And a long list of other potential issues.

There are several options for remote monitoring of your boat but in my opinion it is more expensive than it needs to be and the monthly costs are quite high. I think cell based notification is critical because you cannot depend upon wifi and I want something that can be put on almost any boat to prevent an incident such as I witnessed last week.

I am now working at a company that is focused on Internet of Things (IoT). I am working on a simple device that would have the following features:

Primary Power is from USB charger (plugged into the A/C)
Could alternatively run from your boat battery as power consumption is so low as not to be an issue
The reason for the USB is to also be able to monitor the shore power input
Includes a back up battery that would run for at least a week or two if external power failed (could go with a larger battery if you need more time)
Monitors 3 inputs such as a bilge high water float switch or other alarm input from another system (dry contact type, either V+ or ground)
Enclosure is about 3"x5"x3"
On alarm trigger, sends SMS message to your cell
If no alarm it still sends a "heatbeat" message with battery status, signal strength and ambient temperature.
Reports GPS (may require optional external antenna in some cases depending upon where you mount the unit)
Reports motion (it has a built in accelerometer)
Option to connect an external horn/light (notify your neighbor/dock master)
Status can be viewed on a web portal
Cell Service works globally, no data plan required. Primary network in the US is AT&T.
Cost $199 or less (in volume I could see this getting down close to $100)
Annual subscription (gets you all new features and updates and covers the notification service) $59
or 90 day subscription available at $20 includes SMS notification and any required (bug fix) S/W updates but not the enhancements

Future new features planned over next 3-6 months would be multiple notifications to different phones, email notification, ability to add more monitoring capability, status of your boat battery (voltage),possibly a phone app. There is a lot of room for enhancement but I am still collecting info on what would be the highest priorities.

If you think this would be something you are interested would love to hear your feedback. When/if the product is available I will post here (I have a beta unit starting test mid Jan)

You have several well entrenched competitors already in the market for several years, doing all of those things. My advice would be to take a look at them and see where your market space might be.

I have BRNKL on two boats, you set up when it alerts you by email and sms and you can log in any time and get current and past 7 days info. My peace of mind comes from monitoring shore power, battery levels, and bilge activity. It has temp, humidity, Barometer, multiple batteries, multiple bilge pumps, camera, impact, heel and pitch.

Will follow along in the development of yours.

You have several well entrenched competitors already in the market for several years, doing all of those things. My advice would be to take a look at them and see where your market space might be.
With the introduction of Starlink, internet based monitoring is needed.

After quite a lot of unexpected 'presents' from all kinds of people (destroyed batteries, engines etc) I have decided the boat goes out of the water during the winter time. A security camera will alert me of anyone entering the boat unauthorized and I can even talk to them from wherever I am on this planet (as long as I have internet, the boat has internet via the marina).
The rest of the time we will be on board, we can monitor the boat via the internet connection.
So at this moment the boat is lying on the shore in Marina Gouvia in Greece. Next winter it will be out of the water in Losinj, Croatia. They even have a shed where the boat can be inside. Losinj is not even close to where we want to be, but it gives us peace of mind while we are 2000 miles away. We will just bring the boat there and make sure we have transport out of there. At the end of March we will go back and pick her up again.
It may cost a bit of money, but we don't have marina cost during the rest of the year, so it is worth the extra money in winter time.

But I can understand that, if you don't spend as much time on the boat as we do, you need some sort of security or warning system when you are not on board. The last thing you want is a call that the boat is lying on the bottom of the marina.

I walk about 50’ out the back door and check on it daily.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am very familiar with many of the options on the market. They are good products. This product would provide a much lower entry price and much lower annual fees. I am building this as a demonstration of our products but I think at the right price it will find a niche. I am not trying to build a huge business but if it solves a problem I would like to make it available. Perhaps open up the base design to the maker community and watch them run with it.

So far, I've got a few blink cameras and some basic power and temperature monitoring from a Victron Cerbo. I haven't added bilge monitoring yet, but I'm planning to using some of the available inputs on the Cerbo.

A comprehensive, easy to use monitoring solution is definitely appealing to less technical owners that wouldn't be inclined to piece something together themselves.

I have a Siren Marine monitoring system. When I looked around to buy my system, I balanced features against price. 2 or 3 of the other systems I considered look so cheap and poorly made, that you expected it to be a piece of junk. My point is that in the quest to make it as inexpensive as possible, it's appearance may convince customers it's of poor quality.

I've been very happy with my choice and avoided all the wireless sensors to keep the cost and maintenance (battery replacements) down. For me, there needs to be a balance between cost, features, and perceived quality. I like being able to bring up an app on my phone that gives me:

Boat Battery voltage(s)
Boat's location
Shore power connection
Bilge pump activation history

I like being notified of a:

High water alarm
Low battery voltage(s)
Loss of Shore power
Unauthorized entry alarm
Geo fence alarm and tracking

While some of the other features on the Siren system are nice, I think most people would be interested in these.

My annual service plan works out to $15 per month. I consider that very reasonable and a negligible cost in the overall cost of boating. I wish you well in your endeavor and not to loose sight of your target consumers. As features and benefits improve while prices diminish, it's difficult to sell solely on price with lesser features.

Ted

I use a smartthing hub that connects wirelessly to devices.

Batteries in the devices last about a year.

Kind of sounds like Boat Command. $299 purchase price, works over ATT Wireless, small form factor, runs off of 12v, SMS text messages and email notification. I’ve used it for 6 years.

Tom

Boat Battery voltage(s)
Boat's location
Shore power connection
Bilge pump activation history

I like being notified of a:

High water alarm
Low battery voltage(s)
Loss of Shore power
Unauthorized entry alarm
Geo fence alarm and tracking
:thumb: Yes the basics. A PTZ camera or two can give visual.
most systems I originally researched had these features, then they all operate with an app over cell service. I would like to be able to look at a screen on board without cell service and then also remotely with cell and/or internet.
Until Starlink, cell and internet had dead zones.

Not wondering if the bilge is filling due to a failed pump, or the batteries are dead or whether shore power is on were the main interests between visits to boat. My boat is not within 50 feet (Dave) or easy/quick access.

Instead of competing with the established players in the subscription space, consider changing the game to an open architecture along the lines of SignalK. You could create low cost, high quality components that create a data stream for whatever devices want to consume it. You could also create data consumers - like an alarm monitor and SMS message transceiver. You'd clearly be targeting the geekier types.

SeaBits had an interesting article explaining some of the issues here.

Instead of competing with the established players in the subscription space, consider changing the game to an open architecture along the lines of SignalK. You could create low cost, high quality components that create a data stream for whatever devices want to consume it. You could also create data consumers - like an alarm monitor and SMS message transceiver. You'd clearly be targeting the geekier types.

SeaBits had an interesting article explaining some of the issues here.
That is exactly what our company does. Blues.com A $59 LTE data pump to any cloud. I am looking to leverage this to make a low cost functional boat monitor for anyone that is interested and not just the geeks. It would have essential capability to monitor bilge, power, temp and location. Think of it as a Blue collar solution. Objective would be to try to get it under $150 and a monthly fee under $5

Ken, Is $5 monthly possible long term, maybe in the US, doubt it up here.
My current plan is about $35 Can$.

Yes that is the beauty of Blues Wireless. It has a global LTE plan included in the $59 purchase. For this type of use case it should cover use until LTE sunsets.

It's what peeves me about insurance.

It's increasingly difficult to get insurance covering full time cruisers who have their finger on the pulse 24/7

Yet easy to get insurance if your boat is miles away monitored by an app or in most instances.....nothing at all.

I can monitor my Victron Cherbo from my house or phone. $0/month. Cell connection would cost something.

I too am a fan and user of Victron Cerbo. But I think complexity and need for wifi deters many boaters from monitoring the basics. All the feedback is great.

Video and cameras are great. For thar I use a $399 Lorex DVR setup from Costco. 6 cameras. Uses my Verizon LTE hub. No monitoring fee. I also use Govee sensors and hub for reefer/freezer Temps. Cannot beat it for about $50 on Amazon.

So as this thread has shown lots of options. I will keep working on my science project and see what I come up with.

smartthings is free and works perfectly

Just installed Siren Marine 3 Plus. Pretty easy, came right up on cell phone - battery, shore power, GPS. I have a wireless ER temp and wireless bilge. The wireless can be a bit finicky to set up (still working on bilge pump). The main app just has a week of data - but they do have a 'fleet' site (which you get for the same $$) which can get you lots of historic data - however:
1) it currently doesn't include wireless sensors (sigh?)
2) no API - you have to manually download a CSV report.

During the recent cold snap in PNW - it was reassuring to see ER temp (got to 38!).

We used two: Verper Cortex is primary and over LTE, TimeZero is backup and over Wireless (Starlink).

I walk a kilometer down to my boat and check it often. I usually pump out my boat neighbor's dinghy.

They're boats; they float, and generally don't catch fire or sink.

Thinking about it, any pre-packaged monitoring system / service should ideally account for 2 scenarios: Boats that already have reliable internet connectivity and boats that don't. Some will want/need connectivity included, others won't.

This is the Holy Grail of boat security. Perhaps someday.
A friend has his very nice power cat behind his house. He was gone for a couple weeks last summer and someone who worked on his boat knocked-off the shore power. Flattened/killed his batteries and left a helluva stinky mess in his galley due to defrosted fridge and freezer.

He now has a monitoring system. Not sure which one.

Peter

A friend has his very nice power cat behind his house. He was gone for a couple weeks last summer and someone who worked on his boat knocked-off the shore power. Flattened/killed his batteries and left a helluva stinky mess in his galley due to defrosted fridge and freezer.

He now has a monitoring system. Not sure which one.

Peter

Peter that is the problem I see. Most people don't add a home alarm system until they have a break in or a boat monitoring system until they have a major loss. Same reason so few sign up for the towing services. We all live in denial that it will never happen to us. Monitoring of battery level alone has a high value. But you have to get the cost and complexity of the system down to the point where it truly becomes a no brainer. They current systems are at least a $300-$1K investment and you have to sign up for a high monthly fee. Boaters need more choices!

Back
Top Bottom