Sikkens Cetol Product and Application?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used Awlwood now six years along Gulf of Mexico.
We have touched up last year.
Killer product with yacht quality results.

You can see some results at my blog, grandbankschoices.

Long time Cetol user switched to Awlwood and found it lasted longer and has very little problem with water getting under it around edges or dings. Would not go back. Only downside is price but make it up first year or two by not having to do much maintenance

Unless you like the super wet glossy look I would skip out on the gloss. I used the natural teak color and applied 3 coats as directed and was more than happy with the results.

Photo

Cetol Natural Teak no gloss top coat

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_213334416.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230812_213334416.MP.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 23
I used Awlwood now six years along Gulf of Mexico.
We have touched up last year.
Killer product with yacht quality results.

You can see some results at my blog, grandbankschoices.

Your blog was one of the resources I used when making the decision. Thanks.

A vote for Awlwood, decided to use the red tint as I really like mahogany color. All my purchases of the product have been over the counter. Looks mickey mouse but take note of the suggested number of coats and don't skimp or it will deteriorate quicker than expected. Where possible I removed the handrails and did them at home - much easier.

We will be using the yellow primer.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Another vote for Cetol here for reaons mentioned above. ONE thing I might suggest is before you paint any teak with 2 pack is seal the raw teak well with a couple(?) of coats of varnish/Cetol before you paint. Doing so will give either you or the next owner the option of going back to varnish/Cetol without having the 2 pac soaked into the raw wood. VERY difficult to remove the ingrained paint from raw teak.

All of the teak that is being painted white has had Everdure applied as a sealer.

I have used CETOL for many years. I am happy with it. I put the first three coats on with a rag, rub it in. use a green 3m pad between coats. last coat of gloss I use a foam brush, get it to flow on.
Easy repairs, easy touch up. Again, a green 3m pad between coats when repairing.

M

I use Cetol Clear only with a bit of polyisocyante hardener, a single coat twice a year. I do not use the colored Cetol under it. Varnish like finish that is hard enough to walk on. No sanding between coats. I just wash it.

Last edited:
I use Cetol Clear only with a bit of polyisocyante hardener, a single coat twice a year. I do not use the colored Cetol under it. Varnish like finish that is hard enough to walk on. No sanding between coats. I just wash it.
Can you give us a brand name for that hardener?

Can you give us a brand name for that hardener?
Yeah, just go to TSC and buy it off the shelf. I think they call it Majic Catalyst Hardener. About $20 for an 8 ounce can. Follow the directions on the can as if it were paint. Now you have a two part polyurethane coating. Last a lot longer.

I use AwlWood on my boat. The outer gloss layer seems to last a very long time. But the primer undercoat, which provides the color, seems to bleach out over time. By 3 years what was once a really nice deep red finish (I used the red) turned into a yellowing brown.

Its still fine. But there is no good way to get it back to what it was. Instead of periodically scuffing it and overcoats gloss, I'd have to sand down through the gloss and ultimately end up removing some wood tonremove and reapply the primer.

I have been using Cetol natural Teak on both protected and unprotected areas of teak and am completely happy. No plans to change.

Cetol is great for exposed teak. It lasts about 2 year before you need to remove it with a heat gun and start fresh. You need to consider Cetol philosophically: It will never look as good as varnish.... so you don't feel so bad when it fails and needs to be removed.

Cetol is great for exposed teak. It lasts about 2 year before you need to remove it with a heat gun and start fresh. You need to consider Cetol philosophically: It will never look as good as varnish.... so you don't feel so bad when it fails and needs to be removed.
This has not been my experience. I wonder if this is the result of Gulf Coast sunshine. In SE Alaska, Cetol lasts indefinitely if you maintain it, fix damaged spots, and apply a fresh coat or two every year.

Back
Top Bottom