Seaworthy Trawler under 40 ft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmackay

Vessel Name
"Southerner"
Vessel Make
C&C 36
Switching from sail to power, hoping to squeeze a seaworthy, fast trawler into my 36' slip. Current sailboat is just under 39', so that's max, including dinghy.

We want walkaround queen, second cabin for occasional guest, diesel, cruising at over 10 knots. We're still working so time-limited jaunts in the Pacific North West. Not crossing oceans, but want a comfortable ride in 3-4' seas.

Nordic Tug 35' is an option, so is American Tug. Down-easters such as Sabre and Back Cove would be good but I prefer more space up than down. I'm also intrigued by north sea types such as Nord Star.

Suggestions?

Thx.

CM

Hey! We have a Nordic Tug 32, which is 34 with the swim step and 36 with the dighy on a seawise davit. It fits in a 36' slip, but it is only one stateroom (v-berth on ours but some have a walkaround bed). The Nordic Tug 37 (now named 40 which includes swimstep) had 2 state rooms but would require a bigger slip. Love our NT 32. Quality boat. We can go up to ~15-16 knots on our 270hp engine but rarely do - often are cruising 8-9, 10knots would be easy but not sure about the $$$! Good luck.

You forgot to mention your budget. Big factor

pete

American Tug 362 could be an option. It has a walk-around (sort of) queen and a second (sort of) stateroom. And usual beautiful finishing from AT. It is a 2-cabin adaptation of their 365.

However, it is a recent addition to the line and I believe there are only about 10 made to date. So it would most likely need to be purchased new ($$$), and with some wait.

If you could find a slip at 45' or so, then there would be many options ...

There were a lot of boats manufactured in that size range with the layout you are asking for including Tollycraft, Carver, Silverton, Sea Ray and I am sure others.

Another factor to consider is beam. Many power boats are wider than many mono hull sailboats, some substantially wider. You probably want to get accurate measurements for your slip's width as that may be more of the limiting factor.

Ted

I am not sure if there is a 36 foot overall boat with a walkaround queen. There are many 36 boats that measure 40-42 feet overall.

Post 2 gave a good idea of what to expect.

Comfort in 3-4 foot seas..... have to understand what you think comfortable is.

3-4 foot swells with 8-10 second interval is pretty tolerable in most 36 foot boats...

The same as a chop/short steel wind waves can clear counter tops and stagger passengers.

The solution would be pretty impractical for a 36 footer so don't have high expectations there

Our 2002 NT37 with 330hp Cummins diesel cruises very economically at 7 knots. Max continous cruise about 12 knots, using much more fuel of course. Ours has traveled the Inside Passage the last eight summers. Almost queen master, two bunks in second stateroom. Easily single-handed. We carry our RIB dinghy up on the boat deck, and launch with a crane. 39 feet length overall including 2-foot swimstep, and 13' beam.

Several listed on Yachtworld in the range of $250-365K

Last edited:
Our 2002 NT37 with 330hp Cummins diesel cruises very economically at 7 knots. Max continous cruise about 12 knots, using much more fuel of course. Ours has traveled the Inside Passage the last eight summers. Almost queen master, two bunks in second stateroom. Easily single-handed. We carry our RIB dinghy up on the boat deck, and launch with a crane. 39 feet length overall including 2-foot swimstep, and 13' beam.

Several listed on Yachtworld in the range of $250-365K

That is my dream boat NT 37 with 2 staterooms:thumb:

Thanks for the feedback. Good info. Our budget is around $250K to $350K. The new NT34 (not 35) was $685K I believe. So a little rich for us.

Will keep an eye on the used market, I think there may be a favorable correction. I know how hard it is to make $685K, so unless the boat comes with live aboard moorage, it’s hard to justify the expense. Got to keep something in the bank for retirement. But then what’s the point of retiring into some condo just to sit on the couch?

Thanks for the feedback. Good info. Our budget is around $250K to $350K. The new NT34 (not 35) was $685K I believe. So a little rich for us.

Will keep an eye on the used market, I think there may be a favorable correction. I know how hard it is to make $685K, so unless the boat comes with live aboard moorage, it’s hard to justify the expense. Got to keep something in the bank for retirement. But then what’s the point of retiring into some condo just to sit on the couch?

That budget seems quite possible (whether in $ CDN or USD) and is mostly a matter of waiting for the right boat on the used market.

One resource I would use is the BC-centric Pacific Yachting magazine which has many listings in the back. That would quickly reveal some brokers to call so you'll hear about their boats early. In the latest issue I see perhaps 5-10 candidates in your length & budget. (Not that those listings will necessarily stay around but just as an indication.)

I would just look at the used market, not new. A quality boat like a nt37 will likely have had good care and quality upgrades to electronics and systems for cruising. Buying a new boat requires you to make all those expenditures in addition to the base price of the boat.
I’d say the 250-350 budget is right in the sweet spot for a used one in very good condition.

Switching from sail to power, hoping to squeeze a seaworthy, fast trawler into my 36' slip. Current sailboat is just under 39', so that's max, including dinghy.

We want walkaround queen, second cabin for occasional guest, diesel, cruising at over 10 knots. We're still working so time-limited jaunts in the Pacific North West. Not crossing oceans, but want a comfortable ride in 3-4' seas.

Nordic Tug 35' is an option, so is American Tug. Down-easters such as Sabre and Back Cove would be good but I prefer more space up than down. I'm also intrigued by north sea types such as Nord Star.

Suggestions?

Thx.

CM

I have a 40' overall 2 stateroom 2 head Sha King Trawler for sale if that is of any interest? a lot less then $250k.

Grand Banks 36 Classic
Plenty of room in the salon, 2 staterooms, 2 heads, flybridge. Ford Lehman, Kubota 7.5 generator, induction cooking, convection oven/microwave
Want one?
We've been living on ours for 5-6 months every year since 2012. Thinking it’s time to step away from boating since ‘71.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom