Address when living on the hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the local UPS type stores? They can provide you an address.

I live aboard. In the winter I have a private dock with no street address other than my power pole. I use a commercial mail box address for mail and the power pole for physical address. My mail box accepts any packages except truck shipments. Those I pick up at a truck terminal. I pay a nearby marina for my pu parking.

The state (driver license, etc.,) wasn't too happy, but eventually bureaucrats get the message that I live where I live and there's nothing they can do. I had no trouble registering to vote using my mail box address. They probably think it's an apartment.

Do you have to register a boat at the state level if it’s a documented boat?

Yes, in Washington State, you will have to register your boat and pay Sales Tax (between 9% and 10.5% if in Seattle), unless you apply for a "Cruising Permit", or a "Vessel Use Permit"

https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2022-02/sn_07_NonresVessel.pdf

Purchasing a Permit
When purchasing a use permit from a Washington licensed vessel dealer that also sold the vessel to the non-resident at the sale time, the nonresident individual must:
l Show proof of current nonresident status (i.e., driver’s license),
l Make an irrevocable election to take the exemption and purchase a 12-month use permit,
l Complete an affidavit for the vessel dealer; and
l Display the use permit on the vessel for which it is purchased.
The cost of the use permit is:
l $500 for vessels 50 feet and less
l $800 for vessels greater than 50 feet.
Use permits are valid for 12 consecutive months and may not be renewed.
Before the use permit expires, the vessel must be removed from Washington waters for a minimum of 24 months

Personally, I would bite the bullet and register it . . . . and pay Sales Tax . . . . and the annual registration fee . . . . That's what we did.

Since we are leaving Washington State, never to return, we attempted to "deregister" the boat . . . .and were told that the only way we could not continue to be responsible for paying the annual registration fee and use tax, was to register it in another state, and send proof to WA that we had done so . . . .otherwise we would be on the hook in perpetuity for the registration fees each year . . . .yeah, good luck with that. When we leave the state the end of the month, we're sending a certified letter to the state of Wah stating that our boat is no longer in their state, and to please delete our registration. They can do whatever they please at that point . . . :D

I always thought that having to pay 20% VAT on a boat registration in Europe was ridiculous, but Washington State isn’t far behind

Upon the advice of my CPA, for tax purposes I live in FL. I have a FL driver’s license, in case I want to go to Disney. LOL
Of course I have lost my tax break on my GA condo.
Slowly, I will sort this out of die first and then, it is not my problem.

I need help guys, lol. Dockside requires a passport, I was told by them.

So will I be able to buy the boat with Colorado address? Since it’s not on a coast. If I can, will I be able to cruise it north from San Diego without a registration till I find a state I can get an address in?

Kinda confused as what to do right now. Broker mentioned something about temporary papers relating to the USCG, until the real ones arrive in the mail.

I imagine I will be able to have PO keep my mail for a bit, I won’t have a forwarding address until I do t know when. I won’t be comming back to colorado anytime soon after leaving for the boat.

Seems like I need a valid address before I can do anything, we have appointment for passport next week, but those are like 4-6 wks out at present.

What do you think about using a buddies address here for now?

Any help explaining this process would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never have done this before, almost like buying a freaking house with title companies and all.

Buy the boat.

If documented, the previous owner should complete their documentation paper as a bill of sale and you make and keep a copy for transits after mailing the original to the USCG.. Getting a separate bill of sale won't hurt and there is an easy to download one from BoatUS. That is all you should need for transiting as you will not be in a state long enough that registration is required till you get to a state where you plan to stay and then check that state for when registration becomes necessary.

I never heard of "temporary papers" from the USCG, but could be mistaken. Usually never believe much from yacht brokers...yes there are some good ones, but till you know them for sure...beware.

You could get by with probably any old address, then change it with the USCG NVDC when you settle down/choose a domicile.

Pretty sure the PO will forward mail for awhile, not sure how long but a Google or short phone call solves that.

If you do it like buying a house and have brokers and a Marine Documentation/Title company handle the closing... that company if a reputable one will lead you by the nose through everything.... you pay for it of course but as a first time buyer, most of us used one and then learned the ropes afterward on the next couple boats.

Last edited:
On another matter I read that you can arrive and stay in WA for 60 days, within which time you decide what to do.
Who is this Dockside that can demand a passport, you need an address for that too.

On another matter I read that you can arrive and stay in WA for 60 days, within which time you decide what to do.
Who is this Dockside that can demand a passport, you need an address for that too.

Hey Steve, yeah they said two forms of ID one a passport, I asked about it and they said it’s some law they have to have a passport.

New passport will come here, forwarded to a new address when I can get one.

Good to know I can hang for a bit before deciding where to register. Felt like Seattle would be a good home base for cruising BC and San Juan’s. The tax though is something I didn’t expect to be so high. Guess it does not matter which state, just need one there with addy.

I need help guys, lol. Dockside requires a passport, I was told by them.

So will I be able to buy the boat with Colorado address? Since it’s not on a coast. If I can, will I be able to cruise it north from San Diego without a registration till I find a state I can get an address in?

Kinda confused as what to do right now. Broker mentioned something about temporary papers relating to the USCG, until the real ones arrive in the mail.

I imagine I will be able to have PO keep my mail for a bit, I won’t have a forwarding address until I do t know when. I won’t be comming back to colorado anytime soon after leaving for the boat.

Seems like I need a valid address before I can do anything, we have appointment for passport next week, but those are like 4-6 wks out at present.

What do you think about using a buddies address here for now?

Any help explaining this process would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never have done this before, almost like buying a freaking house with title companies and all.

You can get a passport in a couple of days if you are willing to pay the costs. I got one in 2 days. There are companies that will take your paperwork and walk it through an embassy and overnight the passport to you. Google it.

Never heard of anyplace requiring a passport except foreign countries or travel modes taking you there.

Not sure a passport can be specified for domestic use as there is no requirement to have one. Other suitable ID should work.

It took me about 6 weeks to get a replacement passport after I washed the original. I even paid the additional fee to ‘expedite’ the process.

Never heard of anyplace requiring a passport except foreign countries or travel modes taking you there.

Not sure a passport can be specified for domestic use as there is no requirement to have one. Other suitable ID should work.

Me neither, I don’t need a passport for PO Box, why would they need it for an address? That’s what the guy told me, I asked twice to make sure I understood him.

Me neither, I don’t need a passport for PO Box, why would they need it for an address? That’s what the guy told me, I asked twice to make sure I understood him.

I just use the address of the marina where I own a slip

It took me about 6 weeks to get a replacement passport after I washed the original. I even paid the additional fee to ‘expedite’ the process.

I’m good with 6wks, prolly be here before I’m in the Seattle area with the boat. Not even sure I’ll be able to make it there before end sept, and from what I read, seas get angry after sept up that way.

Buddy is in Ft Bragg, Noyo harbor, tells me I can get a slip for winter 250.00 a month.

Just have to see how the weather is at the time, how far I can go cruising around the clock. Would be me and my son, so would be able to move at night as well.

As usual, I get long winded, thanks for all your input, much appreciated

The guy doesn't know what he's talking about

From the dockside website

Took me less than a minute on the other side of the world.

Two types of identification are required. One must contain a photograph of the addressee(s). Social Security cards, credit cards, and birth certificates are unacceptable as identification. The agent must write in identifying information. Subject to verification.

Acceptable identification includes:

Valid driver's license

State non-driver's identification card

Identification cards

Armed forces

Government

University

Recognized coporate

Passport

Alien registration card

Certificate of naturalization

Current lease

Mortgage

Deed of Trust

Voter registration card

Vehicle registration card

Home insurance policy

Vehicle insurance policy

https://www.docksidemail.com/forms-of-id

The guy doesn't know what he's talking about

From the dockside website

Took me less than a minute on the other side of the world.

Well I have a few of those, I will just go in person when I get there, if I end up short due to season, I’ll just drive up.

Thank you

The identification requirement is from the USPS. There is a form you need to fill out that authorizes a third party to receive and handle your mail. Otherwise doing so is a federal offense. I expect that's what the ID is for. Also, I'm not surprised that an employee is not fully trained on all acceptable combinations of ID. Plus it could be something that changes based on changing regulations.

Also be aware that in WA there is a 60 day visitor provision without triggering taxes and registration requirements, but that ONLY applies to non-residents. If you are a WA resident, then Use Tax triggers immediately when the boat enters the state. If you do something that says you are living in WA, like setting up a mail box of some sort, it could be interpreted as establishment of residency. If that is not your intent, I would make sure there is plenty to document that you are actually a resident of some other state.

Here is the USPS form "Application for Delivery of Mail Through Agent".

https://about.usps.com/forms/ps1583.pdf

Note that the mailing company must also be a registered "Receiving Agent", and I think is bonded.

And the application form needs to be notarized if you are filling it out remotely. In person, the mailing company can probably notarize it for you.

I explained this in earlier posts. The Dockside address gives you an address that meets Homeland Security’s requirements. The state of Washington won’t issue a driver’s license to any address that is not on the Government’s residential address list.

You can use PO Boxes and other mail addresses but not for driver licenses and Passports.

Living on a boat in the PNW is going to be challenging. GrandWood is only running into the first of what will be many challenges.

I highly recommend getting the Dockside address. It will greatly aid your ability to stay mobile but have a proper fixed residence address.

Back
Top Bottom