7 Years of Costs of Cruising and Living on a Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don L

Guru
I am a blow boater on a 41' mono, but the below is still maybe useful. reviewing and adjusting for a power boat using 2gpm I estimate would add about $1500-2000/yr to costs once sail specific things are removed and extra fuel added.

Just finished 7 years of cruising and living on the boat and am sharing the results. I provide this as info for planners/wannabes and entertainment. The following is how and what my wife and I spent OUR MONEY on, and you can look through and change as you feel to make whatever number YOU want it to be. Plus remember it is cruising and living on a boat and I would bet it is within $100-200 of the total amount we spent during the year, and everything is included.

Like the last 3 years things didn’t really work out as I hoped for before I started 7 years ago. Turns out as you get older so does your family and that makes demands on your time (assuming you care, which is a different story). So, this year like last, we have spent a lot of time in an inexpensive marina in Jacksonville Fl. But did manage to do a 5-month trip down coast of Florida and to Bahamas and back (most of it in Bahamas). It works out that we actually spend less when cruising over being in the marina.

So here goes:
General Living - Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries, other - $14,546 ($/1,213.75 mo. avg.)
This is our “living” category and would be pretty much the same living on land as on the boat. If something doesn’t fall into another category it goes in here. Inflation adjusted it has been pretty consistent over 7 years. It feels like when we go to the grocery store it is a LOT more than in past, but it isn’t really even considering the Bahamas time/prices. This category accounted for 26% of the year’s total costs and was down $968 from last year.

Boat costs - upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $7,583.61 ($631.97 /mo. avg.)
Had to replace the dinghy this year, AGAIN for the second time in 7 years that was a $1806 cost. Had to also replace my batteries AGAIN as the expensive $1953 FireFly carbon foam batteries only lasted 2.5 years. Went “cheap” drop in lithium batteries for $1320 and will see how that goes. Had to repair head sail webbing in the Bahamas and the mainsail webbing in the US and those were around $900. The rest is mostly just everyday maintenance and small repairs that add up. This category accounted for 13.6% of the year’s total costs and was up $776 from last year.

Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $1,637.77 ($136.48/mo. avg.)
We are sailboat and try to sail as much as possible. But the ugly truth of cruising on a sailboat is that you motor more than you planned because you want to get there when the weather and conditions allow. This category accounted for 2.9% of the year’s total costs and was down $968 from last year.

Dining and drinking out - $9,111.28 ($759.27/mo. avg.)
Yes, we dine and drink out a fair amount. It is our money remember. Most of our dining out is less than $100 and we consider it just part of traveling etc. This category accounted for 16.3% of the year’s total costs and was down $89 from last year.

Entertainment - $2,633.67 ($219.47/mo. avg.)
Lots of times it is hard to decide if an entertainment cost should be called something else. Sometimes I decide car gas and a motel stay while on a road trip is entertainment or travel. But this is how I accounted for it this year. This category accounted for 4.7% of the year’s total costs and was down $169 from last year.

Communication, storage, shipping - $4,066.57 ($338.88/mo. avg.)
We got a Starlink this year so had the equipment costs plus $125-150/month for the service. This was offset some by changing our cell phones to a cheap prepaid plan. Also had to replace a couple cell phones this period as my wife’s phones like to go swimming. We also decided to get a small storage locker to offload some stuff from the boat that we had just because we had nowhere else to put it. This category accounted for 7.3% of the year’s total costs and was up $2,555 from last year, which is the third highest increase from last year.

Fees - $(174.34) ($(14.36)/mo.)
This includes country check in costs, money exchange costs, and money we get back from using our credit card. Overall since we use our credit cards for 99.5% of everything, we spent money on, pay the card off each month, and collect the cash back it saves us money each month. This category accounted for -0.3% of the year’s total costs and was up $618 from last year.

Marina - $3,380.31 ($281.69/mo. avg)
We spent 7 months this year in a marina slip. The other 5 months we spent only 1 day in a slip, some dinghy docking marina fees, and paid $100/mo. at our home marina that held us a slip and got us a place to store our car in a covered and lock parking garage. This category accounted for 6% of the year’s total costs and was down $671 from last year.

Electric - $183.75 ($15.31/mo. avg.)
I started this category in year 1 when we stayed in a marina that had metered electric that included a fee, But the last few years when in Jacksonville Fl I have had a flat monthly low-cost electric charge. It is a great deal for us, and you may as well just consider it the cost to run the air conditioning. This category accounted for 0.3% of the year’s total costs and was up $34 from last year.

Medical and dental - $3,116.96 ($259.67/mo. avg.)
Medical and dental were up a lot this year. We are on an ACA (Obama Care) US plan and it went up $150/mo. and this year and we are paying $218/mo. Yet our coverage is less and deductible more. There is an emergency room visit that isn’t even in the books yet as I am waiting for the bill that I expect to be $1600-2000. At least this year our plan included dental and we currently have clean teeth! This category accounted for 5.6% of the year’s total costs and was up $2.590 from last year. This was the second highest category change from last year.

Transportation and travel - $6,625.35 ($552.11/mo. avg.)
We got a car last year and it needed a few repairs this year. Plus, we drove up to Canada from Florida to visit friends and did many weeklong vacation trips. Not all the cost in this category is about the car as there are motels, condos etc., from land travel also in it. Overall, we have determined the cost of having a car is not a whole not more than getting rentals and using other forms of transportation and the convivence is worth it. This category accounted for 11.8% of the year’s total costs and was down $7.427 from last year. This was highest category change of the year.

Gifts and presents - $ 1,748.41 ($145.70 mo. avg.)
We still buy birthday and Christmas presents. This category accounted for 3.1% of the year’s total costs and was up $270 from last year.

Boat and dinghy registration - $ 196.50
No words needed I feel.

Boat insurance - $ 1,240.16 ($103.35 mo. avg.)
Our boat is under value insured. But is a balancing act of what we are comfortable risking verse paying a lot more. This category accounted for 2.2% of the year’s total costs and was up $487 from last year.

There it is. We spent $55,917.14 ($4,659.76 mo. avg.) last year all in with no “not counting”.

Spreadsheet attached with monthly spending, year comparisons, big cost items tracking and an attempt to have a “not counting” page for those that want to have a basic cost basis because they feel they wouldn’t do “stuff”. (spreadsheet not supported, if you want it email me at svrubberducky "at" gmail.com)

wow. thanks for sharing!!

definitely enlightening. i also found that i spend a lot less while away from the marina.

Thanks for this. Remains the best accounting I've seen anywhere.

How is your conversion to power going?

Peter

Nice that you've posted it here too, Don. I know sailors, especially new folks and wannabees, on the other forum are very appreciative...

Many of your categories -- general living, dining out, entertainment, etc. -- would just be "business as usual" for us, without regard to boat life or not. I know it's useful for many to track everything, though...

-Chris

Yes, thank you for sharing.

We have a theoretical budget I have worked on for years and it aligns with what you are actually doing. :thumb:

Many expenses are going to location dependent, and what one chooses to spend money on might vary, but the bottom line number we have is close to yours.

Your numbers are a good sanity check. :D

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, thank you for sharing.

We have a theoretical budget I have worked on for years and it aligns with what you are actually doing. :thumb:

Many expenses are going to location dependent, and what one chooses to spend money on might vary, but the bottom line number we have is close to yours.

Your numbers are a good sanity check. :D

Thanks,
Dan

Always a plus when someone else's delusions support your own :flowers:

Just busting on you :D

Hi Don
You might remember me from Barington and again Blue Water when we shared a finger and I had the Outbound. You do great work and it gives a true number for your boat. I’m always struck how you can’t account for and predict bad luck like you had with your engine in Barrington. However you (unlike many) are an active cruiser and hold on to your boat(s) for well above an average time. In your case bad luck averages out. Some years with little need for service, replacement or other big expenses. Other years not so much. I’m lead to believe the average length of boat ownership is 5-7 years but skewed by most people being near the 5 and fewer holding on to boat for decades. For the long term owners COO overtime evens out. But for the short term owners COO maybe skewed toward the high end. Add in as the years go by you figure out how to do things yourself, where to buy stuff, who to use to get god work at a far price.
I know you well enough to know you’re a smart guy and know your Hunter well so would suggest those just getting into cruising keep that in mind.
There’s a downside to long term term ownership. During ownership of blue water sail you will need to replace standing rigging at about 8 years. Sails don’t last forever if used and you want a level of performance. Same with the need to rebed things and replace anchor chain. But again with long term ownership things average out.

Last edited:
Not sure I am who you think - I haven't had any engine problems. In 3600 engine hours the only thing other than routine maintenance I have had to do was replace a heat exchanger flange. I haven't replaced my anchor chain in 10 years, but have been cutting sections off.

Boat stuff breaks. The only work I have paid for that I couldn't have done is some rigging work. I will say I paid the yard to do the bottom paint last year so I could do other work.

Anyway here is the thing for a planner to know - if you really want to understand my cost reporting you need the spreadsheet. On it there are notes about large costs items, upgrades, repairs and maintenance etc. There is even a section that removes a lot of things for "not counting"

I started out out 7 years ago with a target spend of $3000/mo and never was able to stay below. But a lot of that is a factor of not having to.

Anyone really interested in using my numbers for planning should get the spreadsheet. Email for a copy at svrubberducky "at" gmail.com

My bad I thought you were someone else I knew in the past. Apologizes.

Always a plus when someone else's delusions support your own :flowers:

Just busting on you :D

There is strength in numbers. :lol: Either the number of us deluded people or the bottom line. :D

Later,
Dan

wow. thanks for sharing!!

definitely enlightening. i also found that i spend a lot less while away from the marina.

From the list provided above there is about $30,000 USD in costs that don't apply to us.

From the list provided above there is about $30,000 USD in costs that don't apply to us.

Not very helpful without explaining now is it? :banghead:

Taking $30k off my number puts you only $5k above the Federal poverty level for 2 in the US

Not very helpful without explaining now is it? :banghead:

We have more than enough money

But when cruising full time away from marinas, cars, shops and restaurants we can't spend it.
Plus we have free heath care in Australia, thankfully.

And, because the boat is big with plenty of freezer and storage space, we buy in bulk - why buy fillet steak by the slice @ $45/Kg when I can buy the whole fillet for $15/kg

Taking $30k off my number puts you only $5k above the Federal poverty level for 2 in the US

And if they have to pay rent/mortgage, run a car, have shops and advertising in their face 24/7 that'd be tough for sure.

We have none of that so it's pretty much just food and running the boat.

Last edited:
I see you as an example of the person who blasts into every one of these threads I have done the last 7 years with some low cost claim. If I take off transportation and medical it is nowhere near $30k.

Only way you are taking $30k off my number is to go nowhere and do pretty much nothing.

Do you have actual tracked numbers or are you in the club that feels it is a badge of honor to win the low cost battle. I certainly am NOT interested in that life.

I see you as an example of the person who blasts into every one of these threads I have done the last 7 years with some low cost claim. If I take off transportation and medical it is nowhere near $30k..
And marinas and eating out at restaurants, drinking at pubs etc

Add:
Dining and drinking out - $9,111.28 ($759.27/mo. avg.)
Entertainment - $2,633.67 ($219.47/mo. avg.)
Communication, storage, shipping - $4,066.57 ($338.88/mo. avg.)
Marina - $3,380.31 ($281.69/mo. avg)
Medical and dental - $3,116.96 ($259.67/mo. avg.)
Transportation and travel - $6,625.35 ($552.11/mo. avg.)
Gifts and presents - $ 1,748.41 ($145.70 mo. avg
The above is what we don't spend
Comms cost $1400 USD but no storage/shipping

Only way you are taking $30k off my number is to go nowhere and do pretty much nothing.

We do several thousand miles a year through exotic locations
No shops, just dolphins and whales, coral, booby birds and sandy beaches
Peace and quiet, plenty of it
No road noise, people arguing, crime or dramas

If that's doing nothing then I guess you are correct.

Do you have actual tracked numbers or are you in the club that feels it is a badge of honor to win the low cost battle

Tracked numbers are that we know our yearly income
And at years end we see what's left
Simple maths tells us the spend

Though these days, the banking apps show the result.
They even split and show what was spent on groceries, fuel, etc.
I certainly am NOT interested in that life

That's fine
We are not interested in a land based life
It's why we live and cruise full time on a boat.
The following is how and what my wife and I spent OUR MONEY on, and you can look through and change as you feel to make whatever number YOU want it to be. Plus remember it is cruising and living on a boat and I would bet it is within $100-200 of the total amount we spent during the year, and everything is included.
Considering your opening statement, you sure seem to be getting worked up when I did what you mentioned.

Last edited:
Not interested in debating anymore. If you want to be helpful to others put into a full break down. I have tossed out the challenge lots of times, including to you on other forums, and am still waiting. In 7 years on 2 forums where I used to post the costs every month there was always the "I can do for a lot less" and in all that time only 1 ever took up the challenge of doing the same and they stopped once their talk was broken.

I checked my spreadsheet and the lowest year ever is nowhere near your number. You truly are amazing and living a full fun life!

Not interested in debating anymore. If you want to be helpful to others put into a full break down. I have tossed out the challenge lots of times, including to you on other forums, and am still waiting. In 7 years on 2 forums where I used to post the costs every month there was always the "I can do for a lot less" and in all that time only 1 ever took up the challenge of doing the same and they stopped once their talk was broken.

I have more important things to worry about than count every cent and run a spreadsheet for your benefit
I have nothing to prove.

As I said, income in minus expenses shows spend - simple.
And these days, the banking app does that - it even breaks down groceries vs fuel vs whatever.
I checked my spreadsheet and the lowest year ever is nowhere near your number.

That's ok, you spend more than us on stuff we don't

You truly are amazing and living a full fun life!

Thanks
We are enjoying it while we can.

As stated before

Considering your opening statement of.....
The following is how and what my wife and I spent OUR MONEY on, and you can look through and change as you feel to make whatever number YOU want it to be. Plus remember it is cruising and living on a boat and I would bet it is within $100-200 of the total amount we spent during the year, and everything is included.
.....you sure seem to be getting worked up when I did what you mentioned

Last edited:
Cruising/liveaboard costs can be all over the map.

The first 5 years of snowbirding, I had a travel companion that had a dog where we went to marinas almost every night.

The dog was put down after about 5 years and I had about 3 9more years of data that was between half to 2/3 the cost of previous trips...nothing else was significantly different.

But whether one's costs are 1/2 or 2X someone elses, it is so dependent on so many things, and judgement on the validity of those numbers is rediculous.

Sure I could post about 8 years of snowbirding, but I finally started realizing I was going to stay withing my monthly income no matter what... so I realky didnt give a darn about my cruising costs.

Living within ones means is a mindset...not an accounting excercise.

Last edited:
Hi Don,

Thanks for sharing, and think you did a good job of showing some real world averages regarding expenses. In my years of cruising I've seen people all over the spectrum from those under $20k a year to those in the hundreds of thousands per year. By breaking it down in categories, one could say that they would spend more in this category and less in that.

Well done!

Ted

Some of your cost seem way out of line in comparison to mine, but who am I to say?

I think there are two ways to look at your numbers. "On a boat, and Off a boat". Your total living expenses mirror mine. Probably mimic many on this forum, (with the exception of the very wealthy and the very "cheap".)

My total retirement income, and retirement spending are about $1,000 a week. Roughly equal to your year long spending. I sometimes withdraw from my savings for vacations or unexpected expenses but after about six years of retirement I have more money in savings than I did when I retired. So while some of your line items are way higher than mine, the total rings true.

The other thing to look at is strictly boat related expense and yours seem to sort of back up what I have always said. "For a 36 (or so) foot boat in a modestly inexpensive market (Midwest) boat expenses will be about $500 a month"

Nice record keeping.

pete

........ So while some of your line items are way higher than mine, the total rings true.....

In my consulting days, I specialized in forward planning business cases. Heavily assumption based, the kind of stuff that allowed senior leadership to make a go/no-go decision on major transformation investments but they could not trust an employer to objectively do.

What you describe is what I used to call compensating errors. You could poke holes in many/most line totals, but the overall bottom line was remarkably accurate. By far, the most important part was endeavoring to include all the line items even if the numbers are wrong.

It's been interesting to watch this thread develop on TF compared to how it usually goes on CF (CruisersForum). CF has a core "rice & beans" crowd who crow loudly about how outlandish these numbers are which, in the past, has sparked a competition to see who can spend the least. The OP must have a pretty thick skin to continue to post, but I for one really appreciate his willingness to share. Having a financial model with line-item categories already constructed is the hard part. Adjusting the numbers to suit a personal situation is the easy part (even if eating-out becomes rice & beans)

Peter

Some of your cost seem way out of line in comparison to mine, but who am I to say?

Without truly knowing what all is in the numbers in both yours and mine how can you really say this?

Lots of boaters say "I cruise on on $X, but that doesn't include Y". The numbers I posted are probably within $100-200 of every dollar I spend last year no matter what it was on. Because I have never been able to get my bank account to do "not counting" stuff for free.

But if one were to ask and get the spreadsheet I have offered to share they would know that I only spent $1365/mo for the last 7 years "not counting".

BTW - I don't count spending during the month. I use my credit card on 99.5% of everything I buy and buy off each month (I get $60+/mo back this way) and end of the month I just go through the statement and add it up in the categories.

the spreadsheet offer is still open

. CF has a core "rice & beans" crowd who crow loudly about how outlandish these numbers are which, in the past, has sparked a competition to see who can spend the least. The OP must have a pretty thick skin to continue to post,

I can admit that it has resulted in my being overly sensitive and annoyed about those that always want to jump in with "I can do it for less" but who never are willing to detail it.

Last edited:
Think it’s foolish to argue with your numbers. They’re your numbers and there’s no reason to think they aren’t accurately reported.

The only reasonable discussion is how your numbers, on your boat, with your lifestyle may vary from someone else. I full time cruised internationally on a boat we had built. I know our annual expenses were less than my current program doing coastal power on a new to us boat. So what. Think you are kind to post your numbers and they are informative. But they may not apply to others nor even allow what others maybe looking at for their future expenses.

I use Boating Suite to track my numbers. I know my numbers. They are higher than yours as like Weebles I did and am doing a major refit. Expect my numbers to decline (already started). But for me to argue your numbers are incorrect is ridiculous.

Furthermore agree comments without support should be discounted.

Last edited:
I can admit that it has resulted in my being overly sensitive and annoyed about those that always want to jump in with "I can do it of less" but who never are willing to detail it.

It's a tough topic as there are multi-millionaires here and guys like me that have started living aboard when young and poor and after 2 divorces that one left me on the doorstep of bankruptcy. I chose to live aboard because I loved it and the third and final time put me back in the comfort zone financially. That was because....after I had it pretty well figured out....I knew I could have a great life and recover financially because I COULD do it on the cheap and still my rich friends all thought I was "living the dream".

TF is littered with people who either can't or won't prove their experience, background, training, information source, posting details, etc...etc.... then they make fun of you, if you can and do prove anything.

Believe me I know the feeling.

As I have posted lot's of times before....too many here I wouldn't trust to row my dinghy around the marina as I can all but smell and taste their real experience.

Last edited:

It's been interesting to watch this thread develop on TF compared to how it usually goes on CF (CruisersForum). CF has a core "rice & beans" crowd who crow loudly about how outlandish these numbers are which, in the past, has sparked a competition to see who can spend the least.

And then there are those of us who purchase for value.
It's not that we are cheap
The money is there but it was hard earned and now we have it we ain't throwing it away.

We simply don't see value in a marina - for us it's like "living the dream" in a trailer park..
For us, on a vessel our size and living aboard it's been a saving of $20,000+ each and every year.
Saying that, after 7 years out there we are going into one now for a bit - land based stuff must be addressed - marinas do have their purpose.

And eating out
My wife and I are both good cooks and, going ashore and shelling out $25 for a burger or $45 for a steak filled with disappointment is not our idea of fun.
On land last week, fish and chip shop selling a bit of mackerel and some chips $27, wtf?
$12 for a local beer even less fun.
A meal out with a few adult beverages is going to cost $200 and it'll likely be average at best.
That'll buy us a week's supply of fillet steaks and imported beers onboard.
Usually, if entertaining, we get people to come to us.

And the list goes on.

Saying that, when we go into this Marina shortly it's in a great spot.
Not far away there are Vietnamese restaurants where $20 gets an outstanding meal
Steak restaurants nearby where the $45 steak is fantastic.
We see value if the quality is great so to these places we will go.

Last edited:
In a few years I will retire and become on a fixed income and savings.
I will be using the formula that Simi uses. But I do track expenses and can review at any time which will develop my expectations.

Don, Your real life numbers are an excellent guide as it includes all your spending in catagories. Your bottom line monthly average is an excellent rule of thumb for those guessing on what they will need.

Thanks for posting. BTW I did no tsee a spreadsheet mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom