HELP! Alternator or Regulator or....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, what? The field is wired through the oil pressure switch somehow? I could see an oil pressure switch controlling application of 12V to the regulator's on/off Ignition input (S terminal) to turn the regulator on when pressure builds. But the field wire should run exclusively and directly from Regulator F terminal to the field terminal on the alternator.

It sure sounds like something just isn't wired up right, which also means it's probably easy to fix. Pictures would help a lot, along with an explanation of where each wires goes. Or ideally a sketched wiring diagram.

I'm posting a listing for a Balmar regulator that looks nearly identical to the OP's.
There is a 24V version that looks identical, too.

This makes me think his is a 'TRANSPO' branded knock-off or maybe a counterfeit.
I notice that the OP's is listed at around $100 less than the Balmar branded one.

Here is another one that is very similar except that it has more colors on the fins:
Interesting. Similar, but different in significant ways. I think you are right that it's a knockoff of some sort.

Interesting. Similar, but different in significant ways. I think you are right that it's a knockoff of some sort.
Well - now I'm once bitten and twice shy...

Not sure I'd buy one that looked exactly like what I already have even with the Balmar name on it, LOL

Back
Top Bottom