Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoodShipLollipop

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Looking at a Grand Banks 36
Hi everybody! I'm getting ready to buy a trawler in a month or two, and figured it would be a good idea to join this forum so I could pick your brains as I get going.

My plan is pretty unusual, I think. Originally I was planning to buy a trawler and do the Great Loop, then switch to a sailboat for some world cruising. But I managed to land a fully remote job I can do from a boat, so I'm still getting a trawler to live aboard, but the Great Loop is on hold for now.

Right now I'm looking hardest at the Grand Banks 36, but it looks there are lots of good options in this size and price range. Heck, there are even lots of them within a few miles of me, they really did build tons of these things!

A Grand Banks will pretty much always have a great resell value, but they do require maintenance if it has a lot of bright work. Very seaworthy, easy to work on, and economical to run. Downside is lack of covered outside deck space. Motoyachts on the other hand are just the opposite. Fantastic boats at the dock with all the living space, some tend to be too heavy. Good luck with your search!

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your search.

I have spent some time living aboard a GB36 classic, and would not recommend it due to smallish companionways and chopped up nature of the people spaces. I think I would be happier in a design with covered side decks and a walkthrough from cockpit to saloon known as a Europa in Grand Banks speak.

I have spent some time living aboard a GB36 classic, and would not recommend it due to smallish companionways and chopped up nature of the people spaces. I think I would be happier in a design with covered side decks and a walkthrough from cockpit to saloon known as a Europa in Grand Banks speak.
This is exactly the kind of advice I came here for, thanks!

Does it change things to know that I'll be solo? I was thinking that for one person and some fishing/crabbing gear the GB36 seemed reasonably spacious. The covered side decks on the Europa really do look nice, though.

This is exactly the kind of advice I came here for, thanks!

Does it change things to know that I'll be solo? I was thinking that for one person and some fishing/crabbing gear the GB36 seemed reasonably spacious. The covered side decks on the Europa really do look nice, though.

On reflection, I should have included that I also spent five years living aboard a GB42 (owned it 29 years). The thing about handling either the 36 or the 42 solo is access to the side decks from the lower helm where I usually was when solo mooring to a slip or pier. Europas and similar styles from other brands I think require you to exit aft from the lower helm to the cockpit and then move forward to handle bow and spring lines. The classic GB36 almost always comes with a single starboard side door (I have seen one with two doors) at the lower helm while the 42s come with a port side cabin door in addition to the starboard door allowing easy access to the main deck when mooring to either side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom