Ford Lehman fuel return tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick F

Guru
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
My engine has a 1/4" copper tubing for the fuel return to tank. Next to the engine it makes a few spiral turns (see photo). Can anyone confirm the reason for the spiral coil? I think it is either to give flexibility or, perhaps, to cool the fuel before it goes too far.

I would like to replace the copper with 1/4" fuel hose. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 38
Greetings,
Mr. NF. I think you're right with the flexibility comment. I see no purpose in cooling the fuel before it returns to the tank and the Lehmans return so little. Wouldn't like to comment on the rubber fuel hose other than it would eliminate vibration similar to existing set-up.

Contact Brian at American Diesel. 804-435-3107. He is the guru on Lehmans.

My 120s have rubber fuel hose for returns. You'll be fine nixing those coils.

1/4 in rated fuel line on mine. 3700 hr of just my time in last 10 yrs with no problems.

Thanks Scott and Scott (Bligh and Psneeld),

How is your connection made at the engine? Is the hose just slid over a stub of copper tube?

Nick

Coiled tubing is not original to engine. PO added it. I replaced all of my Cu tubing with hose. As I recall Amazon sold most of the hose and hardware I needed.

coiled tubing was used by some as a transition zone against vibration issues. That many coils suggests the tube was much longer than needed so why not keep coiling.

I wouldn't keep that coiling. Just another place to hook on, tug, displace, break, get in the way. Wholly unnecessary especially when one considers that a FL120 returns ounces per hour.
coiled tubing was used by some as a transition zone against vibration issues. That many coils suggests the tube was much longer than needed so why not keep coiling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom