Compact rocking chair for boat use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

High Wire

Guru
Vessel Name
Irish Lady
Vessel Make
Monk 36
My wife has been bugging me for some type of rocking chair to use in the cabin of our Monk. Something that won't tear up the teak decking. Any ideas?

Have never thought about a rocking chair on the boat. But we use self adhesive felt pads on the bottom of all our furniture to prevent scratching the hardwood floors in our house. They work very well but don’t know how the felt padding would work on a rocker. It may develop flat spots that may prevent rocking easily. We have freestanding recliners in the boat. We have an area carpet under them to prevent sliding on the teak and holly deck. The carpet works well for that but I don’t know if you could use a rocking chair on a carpet or not.

Last edited:
Maybe a glider with a fixed base would be a good compromise?

I can’t resist pointing out a simple solution. Take her out more often when the seas aren’t so flat... ;-)

I put felt strips on a rocker at my mothers house. Never noticed flat spotting.

Rob

I put felt strips on a rocker at my mothers house. Never noticed flat spotting.

Rob

Maybe she keeps it rocking so it never sits still... I have no idea whether or not it would actually happen.

The most coveted chair on our boat is the folding "outdoor" rocking chair. This one on Amazon looks pretty close to what we have. It takes up a lot of space but stows away pretty easily. We're talking about buying another.

We had two glider reclining chairs on our Tollycraft. We loved them. sadly our new salon is not big enough to accommodate them.

They are called GCI Outdoor Freestyle Rocker. When we bought our Jefferson, we bought two at West Marine. After many years of sitting out on the Sundeck exposed to the sun, they are becoming faded and a little frayed.
We just bought two new ones. The new ones have a mesh back instead of a full canvas back. Amazon also has them for only a buck cheaper, but possibly free shipping if you are a Prime member.

We love ours. They fold up, are easy to carry off the boat and are stable. Love them!

While cruising this past winter we met some friends that had rockers. They had foam pipe insulation tubes wrapped around the rockers to protect the teak deck. Seemed to work pretty good.

In theory, if the rocking chair movement is in sync with the wave action nothing is going to happen . Save your money.

Thanks folks! Food for thought.

We like the Claytor rocker. And the Seven Seas chair. And Burnham Home Designs farmhouse folding chairs.

We have a small lazboy.

West Marine rockers

We bought two of the West Marine pneumatic rockers, completely delighted! We have a boat box on the flying bridge, they fit, and that's an amazing way to spend the evening watching star coming out. Rocks well in time with "Stars Fell on Alabama", Jimmy Buffett or Jack Teagarden versions.

Have two on our boat. Gentle rocking on sun deck when at anchor. Folds EZ, stores well. Purchased "on sale" at West Marine about 1.5 yrs ago.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/gci...VhqCGCh2XaAw0EAQYDCABEgLRh_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My wife also has the pneumatic-style rocking chair which we purchased at West Marine. She loves it. Here is a similar chair at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-...&qid=1619459442&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-21&th=1

I've had both of those and did not like either one. For me, very uncomfortable. To each his own.

While not technically a rocker, Ikea's Poang chairs let you use a rocking motion that might be enough for your wife. You cannot go full tilt, but I often rock in ours when I get the notion.

We replaced our sleeper sofa in the salon with a couple of them and can't be happier. Easy to move and quite comfortable for us. And they don't break the bank.

Wait a minute, here. We have one thread going on “How the keep the boat from rocking” and another about “how to rock on the boat”. We need to all get on the same page! (Sorry, had to say it!”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom