Housekeeping Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there moderators,

If a thread where dozens of people can share ideas and information respectfully without conflict (even if they disagree at times) and it goes on for over 900 posts, then gets "hot" because a very small number of inflexible people drop incendiary posts with no intention of discussing the issue at all, why close the whole thread?

Why not just block the trouble makers from seeing the thread and let the majority of us discuss things peacefully?

Thank you for your time.

Murray, the problem is those who you (and in most cases myself) see as trouble makers, see you (and me, and others,) as the trouble makers. Thus the head butting.
The other problem: this thread is discussing Moderation, which is a no no.
I too regret the loss of "Understanding Mk 2".
This while enjoying Steeley Dan`s "Nineteen" in the background. The Music thread beckons.

I am a trouble maker and I like trouble makers. What would be the world with only yes men? [emoji849]
But you can be a trouble maker in respect to the others (especially if they also are trouble makers as part of the same brotherhood lol).

What would be the point of a discussion if everybody agree to the same?

L

Hi there moderators,

If a thread where dozens of people can share ideas and information respectfully without conflict (even if they disagree at times) and it goes on for over 900 posts, then gets "hot" because a very small number of inflexible people drop incendiary posts with no intention of discussing the issue at all, why close the whole thread?

Why not just block the trouble makers from seeing the thread and let the majority of us discuss things peacefully?

Thank you for your time.

I agree with you, it was unfair.
Therefore I just sent a email to the TF Support Admin to close my account and change my username.
Good luck and take care.
Pilou

I agree with you, it was unfair.
Therefore I just sent a email to the TF Support Admin to close my account and change my username.
Good luck and take care.
Pilou
Pilou,
With all my respect, and without any bad intend, you should not adopt this behavior.

Let say that you have a discussion around a table and one person badly behave and make a bad comment, would you:
1. Argue
2. Shut up and ignore it
3.Commit suicide

What you mention in your comment is option 3, not the right choice in my sense.

L

Pilou,
With all my respect, and without any bad intend, you should not adopt this behavior.

Let say that you have a discussion around a table and one person badly behave and make a bad comment, would you:
1. Argue
2. Shut up and ignore it
3.Commit suicide

What you mention in your comment is option 3, not the right choice in my sense.

L

Lou

Thanks for your message.

I didn’t choose the option 3. If you read my posts of today you can see that I had no problem to argue.

I just don’t accept the decision of the moderators to close the thread which is very different. But I respect it. So, I’m waiting for the Support Admin to close my account.

Pilou

Lou

Thanks for your message.

I didn’t choose the option 3. If you read my posts of today you can see that I had no problem to argue.

I just don’t accept the decision of the moderators to close the thread which is very different. But I respect it. So, I’m waiting for the Support Admin to close my account.

Pilou
Ok sorry I misunderstood you, c'est le probleme de la traduction [emoji3]

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. You forgot option #4. Have a glass of wine, or two.
Yeah I know but I wanted to try to improve my reputation and polish my public image. I did not want to be charged of apology of alcoholism [emoji2]

L

To those who have posted on this thread. The thread "Understanding the Coronavirus" has been reopened. Please read the post I wrote (below) explaining the decision to reopen.

Okay folks. I jumped the gun, and apologize for acting prematurely in closing the thread. It has now been re-opened, but I would like everyone to please think about what you are posting before you hit send. Many times, I have written a response but then re-read it prior to hitting send, and then asked myself if my post will really further anyone's understand of the issues, or enhance their understanding of boating. If the answer is no then I delete my post without sending. Once again, I apologize for any ruffled feathers. Also, you may be interested in the thread:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...tml#post998347
which arose from the closing of this post. Thanks to the members who commented on this.

Fair winds and following seas to all!

agreed
I too had a thread I started closed recently, that was not finished running and seriously didn't get all that heated from what I saw....and frankly it's a sour taste left almost every time I see a thread closed...a lot of good ruined by such a small few
My question still stands but yet there's no longer a place here for answers to it. sad..... but I just shrug it off and move on.
in the end, no big deal.....

Greetings,
M. L_t. Alcoholism? How about wine connoisseur (every chance you get)? You just have to learn to be a bit more creative in your labeling.

iu

The thread being discussed isn't one I happened to follow. But, I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to thank the mods. It is a hard job and important work. So many factors to balance and so many perspectives to consider, in the moment and through the lens of time.

Thank you!

Greetings,
M. L_t. Alcoholism? How about wine connoisseur (every chance you get)? You just have to learn to be a bit more creative in your labeling.

iu
LOL yes I should have used winoisseur but in my case it is more winecolic :D

L

The thread being discussed isn't one I happened to follow. But, I'll go ahead and take this opportunity to thank the mods. It is a hard job and important work. So many factors to balance and so many perspectives to consider, in the moment and through the lens of time.

Thank you!

On behalf of the site team, thank you! And whoever is reading this, please realize the task we have with this covid bullshit. Covid has made our job about 100x more difficult....and I don't think I am exaggerating. So please, before you act compulsively, give us a little leeway as we are doing the best we can. And we are giving you a little leeway in discussing moderation. This thread likely will not be open for long as it is against the rules. But it does expose an issue that we are constantly battling.

Last edited:
Thank you.

I hope your trust that we'll keep things above a sandbox level is rewarded with minimal Moderation duties :thumb:

Yes this thread violates the forum rules, yet needed to be said.

I posted this on the other thread

Good choice. However those that decide to post on this thread need to understand there will be those who disagree with you and the opposing side needs to have the same voice. For instance mast wearing vs none mask wearing. Respect each others position.

Everyone getting together around a campfire. Those that choose to wear a mask are ok as those that choose not to wear a mask.

Now who has the AA (Alaskan Amber beer)?

Hey Pilar (sp) Oregon has some great pinot noir, so the Admiral tell me.

To the Site moderators and thank you for your wiliness to moderate::flowers:
Any chance the "Few" might be exposed for the "Many"?? :angel: Said as the effort to maintain civil appearance was a desire of my posting so I consider myself among the "Many". While I suspect who among us may qualify as the "Few" to allow the charge to flow without clarification surely is unfair to those who are the 'Few: who would perhaps, continue with negative post. Just asking for a friend:thumb:
Al-Ketchikan

I am a new member in the Site Team. I was asked to join the team and declined to do so because I enjoy TF and wanted to continue doing that. I was asked to reconsider and finally decided to join the team. However, it certainly has taken a lot of my enjoyment out of the forum. In leadership I have found that you spend about 90% of your time dealing with 1% of the people. I know I am trying to help moderate as best I can and I certainly know that the rest of the long term moderators are doing an exceptional job at it. So I guess that I would ask the members to cut us some slack in doing a job that really doesn’t make everyone happy, but it needs to be done. Also I would ask that the members step up and do some community moderating, when you see someone attacking another member, say something to them so it will become unacceptable behavior. Maybe then the need to close threads will not be as common. If other members help us teach the ones doing the attacking, maybe they will get the message, or just decide to leave. Thanks for allowing me to help with the site and also go on a bit of a rant...

certainly has taken a lot of my enjoyment out of the forum.
Well Dave you do understand that making one a moderator eliminates a trouble maker. :D
I wondered why you mellowed so much. :angel:

Ok, some good things have been said on here, so even though we are not supposed to discuss moderation, sometimes there are things that just need to be said.

So, as threads being closed upsets folk, and I agree, as it upsets me to have to do it sometimes, let's just hope this thread, having allowed a legitimate vent for some, and now we all feel better, is allowed to just taper off...with dignity... :)

Another alternative to chilling with a glass of wine is to just stop participating in that particular thread. Just don't.

To be frank, I just stopped clicking on that topic. Ever. No contrary point of view could be shared without inciting riot. It wasn't a discussion, it was a pulpit to one point of view. Maybe that changed along the way since its been quite a while since I checked.

The choice was mine to just don't read it. Easy, and satisfying. No wine involved. No mods needed. No blood pressure spikes.

Some message board I haunted years ago had as a key Rule something like: it is as great a sin to take offense where none is intended, as it is to be offensive.

News flash: it isn't offensive if someone has a different point of view.

Fwt :thumb:
my solution was to put thread on ignore along with three of the participants. My blood pressure is back to normal. You nailed it when you said there was no debate allowed.
The OP Pilou tried twice to invite discussion on an important topic only to have the thread highjacked.

Thanks for your various comments. Threads are closed for a variety of reasons including to allow them to cool off or to give the site team some time to evaluate what the ultimate fate of the thread is.

The site team are volunteers and they manage the board to this standard: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

Much of this is somewhat subjective and frankly it's a thankless job.

When a thread topic is hijacked or posts become aggressive the thread can go downhill quickly. Where covid topics are concerned there are additional issues as we have this additional standard to meet:

- Is it true?
- Is it helpful?
- Is it kind?

more here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s75/new-forum-covid-19-topics-readme-50057.html

If you have questions about this please contact a moderator privately. we generally avoid public discussions of moderation as it become a distraction for the community and frankly, moderator actions often include individual accounts - public discussion of what may have transpired would be a privacy breach for the involved members.

Thanks for understanding.

Thanks Janet for all you and the other Mod's do.

For anybody looking for a break from a particular topic of discussion, here's a tip I just discovered today.

Go to User CP > Ignore Manager > Ignore threads with these keywords > then just enter Covid, Covid-19, or whatever you don't want to be bothered with, like Nordhavn maybe :D...then...

SHAZZZZZAMMMMM!

It disappears from your wonderful Trawler Forum experience.

*Added bonus...there's also an option to 'ignore threads' started by people you have on 'ignore'.

Quite the discovery...now...time for a wee holiday :thumb:

Last edited:
You can ignore entire forums as well...

Open the offending forum, look for forum tools and in the dropdown menu select ignore.

ignore.jpg

:flowers:

I've found even a very rare use of ignore settings on threads and users makes a huge difference. I can count my ignored users on less than five fingers, but just a little goes a long way. Peace and civility reigns in my edited little world.

I appreciate TF. I appreciate the Mods. I appreciate TF members. And, I really appreciate the boating wisdom shared herein.

I don't appreciate people who can't simply stop participating in a thread if they do not like the thread or whom ever is in the thread. There is no law forcing us to read about nor contribute to a thread, or for that matter to even look at a particular post in a thread.

I strongly recommend that if you don't like it... just don't participate in it.

During my decade of membership/marine-contributions I've made mistakes by writing in a post [or two or more] what is against the by-laws and should not be mentioned. At times a mod has taken my post out and thankfully informed me why. Each time that I can recall their reasoning was acceptable. I often PM'd the Mod with apology and a thank you.

It is interesting to read this thread.

Happy "Trawler Forum" Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom