Head spitting water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulusmc1

Hi everyone! Hate that this is my first question on the forum

We don’t see a name brand on the toilet of our new-to-us 1986 Khashing Spindrift 40, but we had guests this past weekend and now the toilet is spitting water when we flush it. It IS flushing at least. Anyone have advice? We are not handy and getting someone to come out and help repair will take a looonnng time (says our recent experience). I have a video if that will help. Not sure how to post it, but I uploaded it on my profile I think.

April

Welcome aboard. I deleted your duplicate thread. First off what brand and model of head do you have?

Welcome aboard. I deleted your duplicate thread. First off what brand and model of head do you have?

We couldn't find a brand or model anywhere. Is there someplace specific to look for that? We have left the boat for the day but I will look again this weekend.

We couldn't find a brand or model anywhere. Is there someplace specific to look for that? We have left the boat for the day but I will look again this weekend.

Post a pic or two. That could help.

I did not see your video, but you should post a photo or two of the commode because there are folks here who can help based on some good evidence like that.

To post a photo or two find the ones you want andet them up so they are easily found. I usually set them up in a desktop file
>Go to the "Go Advanced" box just below the the reply box and click it. The box will change and present a whole mess of other features.

Scroll down to "ADDITIONAL OPTIONS" and find "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" and click Manage attachments.

A drop down box will appear with CHOOSE FILE. Click one and then find the photo you want to load and click it. GO on to choose any other photos with the same procedure. When all you want to send are loaded click "UPLOAD" Then you can close the box and the photos should be listed in your posting box.

Fill in any message you want to use to explain and then click "SUBMIT REPLY"

I think I have it right.

Photos

Hoping this worked. It would not allow the video.

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2530.jpg
    IMG_2530.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 19
Looks Jabsco to the untrained eye. (Keep eye closed during spitback:)).
We get the same thing with a Jabsco initially during a flush, then it`s ok. The Manual is onboard and I`m not so I can`t give you the model but I suspect "Elegance". I suspected a tight exit turn in the outbound tubing. It doesn`t prevent adequate flushing and hasn`t for a year of ownership of attached boat.

Peggie Hall is a member here with a user name The Head Mistress. She is the guru in all things related to a head. Send her a PM to look at the thread, maybe she can figure it out.

Our Head Mistress may confirm but indeed it looks like a Jabsco to me.
For what I see in your video you got the bidet option!

L

Mind doesn't do that.

Wild guessing that the discharge may be constricted and some of what is getting pushed down is briefly under pressure and pushes back up?

If it were me, aid start at the discharge on the unit and work my way back to the holding tank looking for a constriction, especially at valves and angle fittings and to see if the scaling has really significantly narrowed the hose anywhere.
Others may have better ideas.

Thanks so much for all the replies! We are not handy but will try those ideas gkesden. And LOL on the bidet option! Will message Peggie too :)

Thanks HopCar! It seemed to run fine until this past weekend. I printed off the manual you posted and we will give it a go.

No need to send me a PM, I'm on this...

It could be a Jabsco or it could just as easily be any one of several other basic macerating electric toilets made here and in other countries. (Bruce, it's definitely NOT an "Elegance" which btw, is a Raritan toilet!) You may find the brand name if your remove the cover that over the part that's sticking out the back or side of the base in your second photo. Whether you do or not, I need to see a photo of that part with the cover off. There seems to be some kind of embossed label on the front of the base that the bowl is sitting on.

Do you know whether it's a sea water toilet or uses onboard pressurized fresh water?

The problem may not even be in the toilet...a blocked holding tank vent will pressurize a system, causing flushes to spit up. Have you successfully pumped out the tank?

--Peggie

I'll have a better idea of the problem once I see photos of more than just the bowl (all toilet bowls look alike) and the seat and have the answers to my questions

You raise a good point, Parks, but it looks a bit sleek to be a 37010...and it raises another question: Is the toilet "burping" and actually spitting up? Or is water and/or maybe some of the flush too just running back into the bowl?

--Peggie

You raise a good point, Parks, but it looks a bit sleek to be a 37010...and it raises another question: Is the toilet "burping" and actually spitting up? Or is water and/or maybe some of the flush too just running back into the bowl?

--Peggie
Could it be the tank vent blocked so when the toilet flushes it pressurize the tank/hose and "spit" the water back?

L

Could it be the tank vent blocked so when the toilet flushes it pressurize the tank/hose and "spit" the water back?

L

That could build up enough pressure to invert the joker valve. Certainly a possibility.

A joker valve doesn't have to invert for back pressure to force water/waste back into he bowl. It just has to be worn enough for the slit to have become a hole.

--Peggie

could it be a jabsco with the hand pump part removed where the label would be and an electric conversion installed

Paulusmc1, mine spits back only once per "evacuation", repeat flush is spitback free. Glad you videoed with no contents.....

my crown head does the same thing . the water pump housing is wore out and the mounting screws are stripping out . the pump assembly is over 200 bucks . a elegance is about 700 so i will bite the bullet the winter and replace this 35 year old ,rusty motor ,loud, stinky (saltwater flush),and power hog.

Thanks for all the ideas! I will get the model
Info when we get back over there. I appreciate the help on how to find it Head Mistress!

could it be a jabsco with the hand pump part removed where the label would be and an electric conversion installed

Nope. The jabsco electric "conversion" replaces the manual pump with a poor excuse for an electric pump that's the same size and shape as the manual pump and sits on base in the same place next to the bowl as the manual pump. Jabsco 29200_Electric_Conversion

His toilet has a pump motor assembly that looks like every other basic macerating electric toilet pump/motor assembly.

--Peggie

I had that problem on my Jabsco. Something was wrapped around the macerator blade. Cleared it and it was fine. This is usually caused by guests on board when I forget to explain what doesn't go in the head.

my crown head does the same thing . the water pump housing is wore out and the mounting screws are stripping out . the pump assembly is over 200 bucks . a elegance is about 700 so i will bite the bullet the winter and replace this 35 year old ,rusty motor ,loud, stinky (saltwater flush),and power hog.

We love the Marine Elegance heads. Good luck with your new head.

Hi again!

Found the model number where Headmistress said to look:

Quiet flush electric marine toilet. 37045-1092

Does this help?

When you say “clear the macerator head” what does that mean (replying to the poster above)?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom