Replacing Water Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artfulltune

Vessel Name
HAVEN
Vessel Make
Golden Star 35
I want to replace the existing water hose between the fresh water tank fittings in the transom trunk area and the fresh water pump in the mid-ship area. It's a distance of about 18' or so. Fear is the only thing stopping me. I ponder the most popular method would be the "pull thru" process where connecting one end of the "new" hose to the "old" hose and pulling it thru. Someone in the forum has very likely done this before and I wonder if it was successful, as described. :confused:

Agreed, that is likely the best method. However, what I would like to know (to add to your question) is what is the best way to connect new to old? I've had apertures in bulkheads that were essentially the same size as the hose passing through it, so using some form of hose clamp would not work. I suppose in that case I would "sew" the ends together with fishing line or wire.

Is there another tried and tested, TF approved method?

Agreed, that is likely the best method. However, what I would like to know (to add to your question) is what is the best way to connect new to old? I've had apertures in bulkheads that were essentially the same size as the hose passing through it, so using some form of hose clamp would not work. I suppose in that case I would "sew" the ends together with fishing line or wire.

Is there another tried and tested, TF approved method?
A double hose barb. Use a sealant to secure both ends. Have a helper push from the new end while you pull from the new end.

When I'm concerned it would be a disaster if the connection fails before the new is in I run a strong piece of cord through. Tie a knot in one end that almost blocks the ID, but a loose blockage, don't forget it has to pass through the double hose barb ID. Tape your shop vac to the other end and feed the cord in.

When you start to pull the old out be prepared for it to be secured and you will have to pull hard enough to break the tie downs.

Put a wood dowel inside the two hoses and use wood screws on both sides. You have to cut a little off the new hose when done, but it isn't going to come apart when pulling through.

All this assumes that the old hose is not secured anywhere. In my experience any hose is clamped or zip tied about every 5 inches. Can you access it enough to get all of those removed? Otherwise I don't think you will be pulling anything through. On the other hand, if you can access the hose enough to get all the clamps and ties removed, then pulling through the new hose should be pretty straight forward.

"All this assumes that the old hose is not secured anywhere." Well, yes, there's that problem, twistedtree. Thanks.

My question is why does the hose need to be replaced? Is there a specific reason or is this "just-in-case"?

"My question is why does the hose need to be replaced?". Well CJ, good question. I am replacing a burned out Jabsco along with some wiring and thought it might be a good idea on my 33 year old girl. The existing hose looks yellowed that's all. Thanks for asking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom