Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SNOOP,
I used to see it around my cruising area from time to time. Loved its looks, like a small freighter.

Here`s a good largely unmolested and pretty example of an older timber Halvorsen: https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...-boats/halvorsen-36-halvorsen-36-sedan/260861
1_4.jpg

Last edited:
BK-Damn nice ol' woodie!

Wow... At 36' LOA / 10'6" beam / 3'6" draft / 12 ton displacement / 1 - 65 HP diesel / cruise speed 5 knots / usage liters per hr = Economy... Plus a real mellow ride!

She needs more fuel tankage though.

Launch Year1958
HINAUWWA056505AP8
RegoADS85IN
Rego Expiry19/11/2021
DesignerHalvorsen
BuilderLars Halvorsen and Sons Boat Builders
Length36' - 10.97m
Beam10'6"
Draft3'6"
Displacement12 ton
Hull MaterialTimber
Deck MaterialPly with Fibreglass sheathing urethane paint
Engine MakeNissan
EngineSD-22
Number Engines1
Horse Power65 HP
Fuel TypeDiesel
Engine Hours2960 HOURS
Fuel ConsumptionApprox 5 Litres per hour
Max Speed7 knots
Cruise Speed5 knots
Fuel200 Litres
Water500 LTS

BK-Damn nice ol' woodie!

Wow... At 36' LOA / 10'6" beam / 3'6" draft / 12 ton displacement / 1 - 65 HP diesel / cruise speed 5 knots / usage liters per hr = Economy... Plus a real mellow ride!

She needs more fuel tankage though.....
Halvorsen built a lot of cruisers like this one, between 25 and 38ft, for their hire fleet which was sold off when they ceased business. They also built for private buyers, and for Police, and sailboats, and tugs... pretty much anything, small Navy patrol boats too I think, and possibly "crash boats" for attending downed planes.
from where she is being sold at Cottage Point, probably where she moors, the adjacent Club (KMYC) is virtually the "home" of Halvorsen and IG, if you travel 1-2 miles from your mooring you are somewhere you want to be, to overnight, or longer. So you tend not to run long hours. Most boats had Chrysler engines, side valve gas powered, easily flooded when starting, the diesel is a replacement of course. I never tire of seeing one, they are always pretty and usually well maintained, often by the broker who runs a shipwright business with broking as a sideline, he sold my IG for me.

I especially liked the "aged" interior teak trim

My boat Dreamweaver fell off the jacks about 5 or 6 years ago.
I understand it was repaired. Didn't know it was sold.
I wish the new owner many happy cruises.
Hi Dan,
Just saw your post on Dreamweaver. Sorry to hear about what happened. The gentleman who appears to have bought it after you was fixing it up in Fort Lauderdale. It appeared to have some water damage. He posted some videos on YouTube in 2015 of his work. Someone else bought it a couple of years ago and it is for sale again under the name Havn by a guy in Belfast, Maine. Unfortunately it has not been taken care of. He ripped out the port side tanks in the engine room to make space (for who knows what) and cut out some of the structural supports in the process (it looks a mess). It also appears he removed the main mast and stabilizers and built a "flybridge" out of plywood and fiberglass. Here's the for sale link to your old boat: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/nordhavn-46-pilothouse-trawler-with-flybridge-3718938/

Thanks ben2go,they had great weather for the tow. Nice pics of the waterways both ends.
There is a Halvo 36,with FB, on our marina. Took a swim before it was purchased, now under slow(? imperceptible) rejuvenation.

Thanks ben2go,they had great weather for the tow. Nice pics of the waterways both ends.
There is a Halvo 36,with FB, on our marina. Took a swim before it was purchased, now under slow(? imperceptible) rejuvenation.
You're welcome. I like Stew's videos. Glad you found them enjoyable as well. :thumb:

AKF,
HaHa .... never seen that one.
Can’t imagine anyone not wanting it.
Despite it’s odd styling.

Willard,
Very nice boat! I thought a little steep on the price till I looked at the pictures. One fine boat.

I would enjoy owning it even though it is a bit longer than I want/need.

Last edited:
Willard... Same builder as Eric's Willard? Uniquely interestingly designed boat.

Stats say:

- 12 knot cruise
- 1,800 gallons fuel
- Twin 500+ HP Diesels
- Range 1,800 miles

Really... 1 nmpg at 12 knot cruise?? Perhaps 1 nmpg at 5 to 6 knots??...?? Even at that reduced speed with that size boat and those big engines I feel to question 1 nmpg?

The enclosed bridge has to be a later add on....right? I hate it.

Otherwise yes, it is a very nice vessel that would fit the family well [emoji3]

Mystery Boat

Can anyone identify the builder and model of this boat for me?
She's about 45' and carries twin straight-six Mitsubishis.

MYSTERY BOAT (a).jpg

MYSTERY BOAT (b).jpg

MYSTERY BOAT (c).jpg

I'm new here, so if there's a better place to post this question, please direct me.

Thanks

I agree with Groucho... Nice Boat! Maybe a one off??

Thoughts on the Willard:

Headroom looks low in cabins. No stand up engine room:nonono:, anchors only 50 lb?!?:eek: Seriously? Small water tank (330 gallons), although it Does have a water maker. 4 fuel tanks (450 gallons) . . .does that mean a total of 1800 gallons, or 4 tanks that TOTAL 450 gallons. . . .I am assuming 1800 gallons. Overall, it looks REALLY nice, but it would probably take a full day just to remove all the breakables to venture out into a seaway. . . . wonder if it has stabilizers . . .?

Thoughts on the Willard:

Headroom looks low in cabins. No stand up engine room:nonono:, anchors only 50 lb?!?:eek: Seriously? Small water tank (330 gallons), although it Does have a water maker. 4 fuel tanks (450 gallons) . . .does that mean a total of 1800 gallons, or 4 tanks that TOTAL 450 gallons. . . .I am assuming 1800 gallons. Overall, it looks REALLY nice, but it would probably take a full day just to remove all the breakables to venture out into a seaway. . . . wonder if it has stabilizers . . .?

All boats are like that. Lots of unsecured stuff. You should experience “angles and dangles” on a submarine. Stuff you didn’t didn’’t know you had, goes flying. Lol
First thing I do is put the glass coffee pot in the sink.
Lots of noise from things settling in cabinets.

All boats are like that. Lots of unsecured stuff. You should experience “angles and dangles” on a submarine. Stuff you didn’t didn’’t know you had, goes flying. Lol First thing I do is put the glass coffee pot in the sink. Lots of noise from things settling in cabinets.

Yeah, it doesn't look much worse than many other boats out there. When I see pix like that glass-looking sculpture perched on a granite table... I get the impression that was more dock queen than ocean-going.

Thoughts on the Willard:

It's my impression after perusing Yachtworld and similar sites for months and months is that brokers either don't know how to properly fill in the seller form templates...or don't care. The two sections that are always invariably wrong are number of tanks and associated capacity (I can never figure out whether the tankage is supposed to be per tank or total either, and neither can most sellers apparently), and the number of berths and cabins.

It's my impression after perusing Yachtworld and similar sites for months and months is that brokers either don't know how to properly fill in the seller form templates...or don't care. The two sections that are always invariably wrong are number of tanks and associated capacity (I can never figure out whether the tankage is supposed to be per tank or total either, and neither can most sellers apparently), and the number of berths and cabins.

For some of the more 'unique' boats, yeah, the specs are often inconsistent, I've noticed that also. I'm guessing there's definitely some broker laziness and seller clueless-ness also involved. With big older boats with less-than-current interior styling I often wonder how many are the result of aging-out or estate proceedings.

Back
Top Bottom