Trent-Severn Waterway "Thru Traffic"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Fast

Vessel Name
Knot Fast
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH37
Canada has started allowing USA pleasure craft cruising between USA states (Washington-Alaska) to transit, stop and provision in Canada. Restrictions apply. Shout out to Alaskan Sea-Duction's excellent thread: Crossing U.S. and Canadian Border PNW

What is the implication to USA pleasure craft wishing to transit the Trent-Severn Waterway between New York and Michigan?

The Canadian PNW change sounds like flexible rules with local authority discretion. Is there a Canadian policy for the crossing the Trent-Severn Waterway?

I highly doubt they'll allow a transit. Last I knew, they're not even allowing US pleasure craft to transit the Welland Canal, you either need to have a delivery captain take it through, or you go around through the Erie to stay in the US.

What is the implication to USA pleasure craft wishing to transit the Trent-Severn Waterway between New York and Michigan?

That doesn't seem analagous to a Washington-->Alaska transit because you can easily go between New York and Michigan without transiting Canada. I'd be surprised if it got the same "self sufficient transit" type exception.

That doesn't seem analagous to a Washington-->Alaska transit because you can easily go between New York and Michigan without transiting Canada. I'd be surprised if it got the same "self sufficient transit" type exception.

Boats with more than 15' or so air draft can't. But then they're not the ones taking the Trent Severn. They're taking the Welland and arrangements there are possible using pilots/captains and owner not being aboard. But Trent Severn isn't somewhere one can just pass through without touching land or docking. Also, keep in mind we're talking different provinces. So, I'd agree with you on no similarity between Washington BC and Alaska.

The TS is entirely within Ontario, which just went into a six week province wide stay at home order. We have record Covid growth, and the provincial government is making moves to limit non-essential travel across provincial borders. I don't think there is any appetite for opening to US boats this summer. And there is no necessity of passage.

As others have mentioned, you can get the boat through the Welland Canal by using a delivery service.

Might not be much appetite in Michigan for transients....

Welland released the procedures for pleasurecraft, no requirement mentioned for commercial captian this year.

Back
Top Bottom