Connection Mariton J2k100 to John Deere Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scurvydog_pnw

Veteran Member
Hey folks,

I thought I would check to see if anyone has put in a Maretron J2k100 J1939 to NEMA2k gateway on a John Deere 4050 engine? This is my next project and besides the below link I found a reference that the engine itself may have a port available that is used for mechanics to pull data off of. However, there is at least a dozen different connections on the engine or engine computer. If someone has done this I would love to hear.

https://www.maretron.com/support/knowledgebase/phpkbv7/article.php?id=563

Hey folks,

I thought I would check to see if anyone has put in a Maretron J2k100 J1939 to NEMA2k gateway on a John Deere 4050 engine? This is my next project and besides the below link I found a reference that the engine itself may have a port available that is used for mechanics to pull data off of. However, there is at least a dozen different connections on the engine or engine computer. If someone has done this I would love to hear.

https://www.maretron.com/support/knowledgebase/phpkbv7/article.php?id=563

I'm not familiar with a Deere 4050. Could it be a 4045? The first question would be whether the 4050 is based on J1939.

Yes type. The engine is 4045TFM75 and does support J1939 and uses it to communicate with the digital display computer.

Yes type. The engine is 4045TFM75 and does support J1939 and uses it to communicate with the digital display computer.

That makes more sense.

The Maretron device works fine with that engine. At the instrument panel there is a three-wire harness and triangular three-pin plug. That's the J1939 bus. I just cut the wires and butt spliced in wires to the J2K100. If you wanted to get fancy your could build a Y cable out of Deutsch plugs. Yellow is CAN+ and green is CAN-.

Thanks Twisted tree! This is my next project so I can bring more telemetry to my SignalK server on our boat. I already got a Fire tablet setup to function as a 10" display to show engine data that I want.

Tracing out my wiring harness diagram it looks like I have a diagnostic port on each engine. I tracked it down and this is a Deutsch HD10-9 connector with the below wiriing diagram. The Mareton diagram for the ECU has Yellow as CAN Low and Green as CAN High. Anyone have details on the wiring pinout on the diagnostic port by chance to confirm?

Conector Wiring
A - Black
B - Red
C - Yellow
D - Green
E - Black
F - Null
G - Null
H - Null
J - Null

Not sure if this helps. From operators manual for 4.5L & 6.8L. I would be interested in how it turns out. I have twin electronic controlled 6068TFM75’s with Murphy Helmview displays in the pilothouse and on the fly bridge. Fly bridge panel is erratic, sometimes no display, sometimes upside down so I’m looking for eventual replacement(s).

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 447FF8CF-1316-4A5F-A8A6-E4FE32413554.jpeg
    447FF8CF-1316-4A5F-A8A6-E4FE32413554.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 15
  • E9D30FEC-C18C-4AA4-8D78-A7B740A078EB.jpeg
    E9D30FEC-C18C-4AA4-8D78-A7B740A078EB.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
DCDC,

Can you send me directly the source of those screen shots. When I download and blow up unfortunately they are unreadable.

For the flying bridge helm station I have the exact same issues as you. I will this year need to go through and test out each of the gauges and the pilot computers. I am thinking of getting a customer cover 3D printed to cover the panels to keep UV and rain off them. Shoot me a photo of your instrument cluster as if it is the same layout maybe I could get a few extra printed up. I just started working on sourcing out the components and will need to build the price list.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 08.48.55.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 08.48.55.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 19
That was perfect and what I needed to confirm the pin information. Hopefully in 2-3 weeks when I get parts I will have this hooked up to the network.

Thought I would close out the thread. I was able to successfully get the J2K100 hooked up to our NEMA2k network. The pdf by DCDC were very helpful. I hooked up the J2K100 to the diagnostic port on our JD. I used wirecare.com to order up all the parts I need for a 9 pin deustsch connector and happy to say it turned out well. I did need to order the Maretron USB100 GW unfortunately to configure the second J2K100.

Thanks for the follow up and information.

For anyone in the future that wants to instrument their John Deere engines here is a write up I did of the process.
https://mv-adventuress.azurewebsites.net/2022/01/08/mv-telemetry-part-4-engines/

Are you getting transmission oil temperature from the Maretron J2K100? I just replaced my Yacht devices J1939 gateway with a Maretron J2K100. The Yacht Devices J1939 was flaky and would intermittently drop out but it was sending transmission oil temperature.

On the J2K100 I’m getting all engine data but no transmission data despite activating PGN127493 which should send transmission data. My John Deere screen shows transmission oil temperature so I know it’s on the J1939 network. Let me know if you are getting transmission oil temperature. Thanks

So I don't see that PGN however I see that Maritron supports it. Looks like an optional PGN that I need to enable on my actisense NGT-1 gateway. I will try enabling it this weekend and see if I get any luck. You can double check if it is your gateway if you have the use the Maretron software with their gw which will show you the PGNs recevied by the J2k100. You might be having the same problem as me. Do you have a Maritron display or another device that can show you PGNs on the network?

So I don't see that PGN however I see that Maritron supports it. Looks like an optional PGN that I need to enable on my actisense NGT-1 gateway. I will try enabling it this weekend and see if I get any luck. You can double check if it is your gateway if you have the use the Maretron software with their gw which will show you the PGNs recevied by the J2k100. You might be having the same problem as me. Do you have a Maritron display or another device that can show you PGNs on the network?

Thanks, I figured out via another posting that the Maretron J1939 gateway can only pass one node from the J1939 network. The engine data is one node and the transmission is another node. I ended up having the Maretron J1939 gateway pass the engine data and another J1939 gateway pass the transmission data.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom