Veneer Strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

I need to cut out some soft wood in a couple places on my Marine Trader. What is the name & type of wood of these veneer strips? Cheapest place to purchase them?

Attachments

• 20210417_115355.jpg
    20210417_115355.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 26
That might be solid planks, not veneer. If veneered, it would have solid edge strips to allow the edge treatment that you see. Either way, you will likely need to either get a pro that does marine woodworking, or learn the job yourself. It will probably involve milling the planks and finishing to match the existing. Not necessarily a big job but does requires some woodworking skills. I don’t know of any off-the-shelf solution for that.

That is called "ceiling" and was traditionally made from cedar. Hard to tell from the picture but it could be cedar. Are you cutting it out or replacing it?

The strips are 1-3/4" wide X 3/32" thick and they are multi-ply. There is no grooving system, they appear to just be glued down shoulder to shoulder.

Unfortunately I need to replace a few strips because they are soft enough to stick a finger in. If they were just stained, I wouldn't care.

The usual ceiling is screwed or glued to strips of wood on the hull to allow air to circulate , this avoids leaks or condensation from rotting the wood.

Have someone decide what wood was used and go to a wood specialty shop and purchase a thick plank and have them cut it to the thickness to match your wood.

A simple hand tool will allow you to round the edges uniform;y , or paying to have a router round the edges for you would take no time or effort.

Many finishes have a stain built in , try to match the color on some scrap.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...MIy8-059mH8AIVgwiICR3nHAlcEAQYBCABEgKTmfD_BwE

Last edited:
I've a friend who took all the wood out of a couple of TT's before they went to the crusher. I thought that it all looked teakish.
I'd think the likelihood of matching whatever some Taiwan boatbuilder used 40 years ago is impossible.
Your best bet is to take a piece to your local hardwood dealer and ask him what to do.

Back
Top Bottom