DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too. Thank you for sharing this!

John

I have great respect for Bacchus's canvas expertise!

I have done my own canvas work since I first purchased my Silverton 40' aftcabin back in 2005. Personally, I prefer the older methods for replacing vinyl. I shudder over the possibilities of the canvas shifting when sewing the vinyl if the old is removed first. Don't put too much hope in two sided sticky tape holding everything in place.

My sewing machine squats in my small one time bedroom crowded office along with my desk, table for printer, filing cabinet, credenza and shredder. I have no space for an extension on my sewing table to minimize sewing errors. Now Wifey.... that is a different story! She enjoy a HUGE bedroom for her exercise equipment and no way will she help to lessen my space problem.

I do though have my own suggestion for those intending to do their own vinyl installation/replacement. And that is to cover the sewing table not exposed to the machine proper with a good towel. Before I covered mine, I found my vinyl developed scratches from machine's table corners. But to each his own. AND I DO encourage folks to do their own canvas. It far from rocket science!

Foggysail
Reread the procedure...
We are in agreement about not removing old until new is sewn in place.
I do not remove the old before sewing one row of the new vinyl in place.
I do however, only sew the outer which leaves room to remove the remaining old vinyl before sewing the inner line of stitching near the inner edge of the canvas.

It takes more time to do it that way but the advantage that makes it worthwhile for me is there is no old vinyl remaining and the edge is much neater.

Last edited:
OK-- I did quickly read the procedure. What led me to believe you removed the old is:

1. Eliminates old / stiff vinyl remnants
2. Panel lays flatter if old vinyl is stiff / curled

Maybe we are using the same method. I rip all the outer stitches first and trim to old as close as I can get to the inner stitching. Next place my new vinyl on top of the old and sew in place where the original outer sewing was.

And I do have to put up with the old until I can remove the inner stitching to remove it.

YES.... We use the same method I believe

Last edited:
I've seen several Sailrite look alikes. I'm sure it was an inexpensive semi industrial sewing machine made in China to be used in their factories. Sailrite probably asked for some changes and ordered a quantity of them.

Sailrite has quality castings and precision machining.
Clones have very poor quality castings and rough machining.
They are copies and could not be used for commercial work.
I have a clone. It gets the job done but adjusting tension is hit or miss.
I would buy genuine Sailrite replacement parts.

Last edited:
Slooooow thinker here! Never thought people with sew on top of the old junk leaving it sandwiched between the canvas and the new vinyl.

Sailrite has quality castings and precision machining.
Clones have very poor quality castings and rough machining.
They are copies and could not be used for commercial work.
I have a clone. It gets the job done but adjusting tension is hit or miss.
I would buy genuine Sailrite replacement parts.

I doubt Sailrite has enough sales to justify a dedicated product line made in China. Most likely there are clones being sold by the same manufacturer

My understanding is that Sailrite buys the machines but then refines them before labeling and selling them as Sailrite. I don't think they hide this info but are very straightforward with what they specifically do to each machine. IMO Sailrite's after the purchase support and advice on the machines and on projects would be very hard to beat. As someone who never sewed a stitch before buying an LSZ-1 I am very happy with it and the company.

Slooooow thinker here! Never thought people with sew on top of the old junk leaving it sandwiched between the canvas and the new vinyl.

Joe
That is exactly what any / most "Pro" canvas guys do if a customer wants vinyl replacement. I'm thinking they don't really want to encourage it vs a complete new panel $$$$ and they don't want to take the extra time.

We agree on how to do it. I use a few pieces of seam tape to position the new to the old when I start sewing to ensure everything is aligned. Sailrite suggested using the double sided tape on the inside of the canvas as an extra secure way to position the last (inner) line of stitching.

We are in agreement that it's pretty "cheesy" way to do it but that was Sailrite's procedure as well. I don't care how close you trim the old it still looks terrible IMO.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and comment... always appreciate hearing from other amateurs like me.

Back
Top Bottom