Will the trawler forum kick me off if

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
I just bought a blow boat?

After all, it has twin small diesels and goes slow. :flowers:

I have seen more than a few monos with twins. Usually pretty good size to start with.

Shhh, don't tell anybody but in normal times (non-COVID) my wife and I would charter a rag boat at least a couple times a year with another couple. Kept up our sailing skills, helped us embrace the whole "one with nature" thing, and it made us appreciate that our cabin cruiser back home has nice big windows high off the water and isn't a cave or hole in the water with slippery ladder stairs to the sole and we don't need nets on the beds to keep us from rolling out onto the floor, heeling over on a long beam reach.

She is a Lagoon 380 sailcat; not exactly rare; over 700 made. 21' beam. Its like driving a tracked bulldozer.

She is a Lagoon 380 sailcat; not exactly rare; over 700 made. 21' beam. Its like driving a tracked bulldozer.

Congrats! I always thought of recent production cats as modern motorsailers.

Here's my dirty secret:

Attachments

• A28.jpg
    A28.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 37
Ooh, is that an Alerion? Very pretty...

Yes indeed! Alerion 28; I got it for my parents, who missed our weekly daysails after we got our trawler. The trawler's vastly better for cruising, but to be honest there's not much appeal in putting around the bay under power, so this really fills the gap. She's almost insultingly easy to sail with the self tacking boom, lazy jacks, etc. Schumacher hull with a modern fin keel and spade rudder so she really moves well.

If you post while the sail is stowed and you are underway then you are a power boat.

A lifetime of sailing, on occasion serious, taught me a lot of skills I use every time I operate a power boat. Here's the last one we had. 6000 miles in 4 years.

Attachments

• Lady Kay III.jpg
    Lady Kay III.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 33
My sailing is now limited to dinghies. My own Laser and crewing on friends' other classes.
While you are under power, you are trawlering, so you can stay.

A lifetime of sailing, on occasion serious, taught me a lot of skills I use every time I operate a power boat. Here's the last one we had. 6000 miles in 4 years.

Catalina 42, a great weekender + for two. :thumb:
Mine was a 30, one sailboat owned

Last edited:
I think that's a 42 - Frers drew the hull & its my fave of the Catalinas. Nice!
I thought it was a Nelson/Marek design with Gerry Douglas on tenor.

Maybe the best sailing Catalina is the original 38 from the 'Yankee' molds by S&S, though.
Also the prettiest, to me. Fast and stiff.

Last edited:
Considering the time actually under sail the majority of sail boats are more properly deemed power boats so you get provisional membership. As long as you don't start long soliloquys about the tranquil peaceful silence of sailing and admit that a Rocna is better than a CQR, then you get my vote. If your diesels are single cylinder 10HP hand cranked then you might be banished to cruisers forum.

You're all in timeout. :)

Honestly, the twins will probably get you in more trouble here than the sails.

Just kidding. Mostly.

I thought it was a Nelson/Marek design with Gerry Douglas on tenor.

Maybe the best sailing Catalina is the original 38 from the 'Yankee' molds by S&S, though.
Also the prettiest, to me. Fast and stiff.

I think you're right on N/M vs. Frers. I stand corrected.

I came very very close to buying a C38; had an offer ready to submit when a First 405 came up that I preferred in every way, even though the tumblehome was pretty cool on the 38.

Wifey B: Gone gone gone. That's as horrible as those of us with fast boats and no trawlers. :rofl:

I think trawler forum is built on a style of cruising, not a type boat and you'll always contribute. :)

LOL. Me too. It has twin Lehmans though so maybe I will get an extra dispensation for that.

Attachments

• CheoyLeeBow.jpg
    CheoyLeeBow.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
If you did get booted, it would only be as far as CF (Cruisers Forum). Same owners.

If you did get booted, it would only be as far as CF (Cruisers Forum). Same owners.

And even getting booted that far is unlikely, as CF allows us non-sailors on there without much complaining.

I'm going that way to get away from the US for a while. I can't afford to see the world while feeding a diesel engine. I don't have youtube money. :rofl: I'm sure I will return to the trawler lifestyle in a decade or two, if I make it that long.

LOL. Me too. It has twin Lehmans though so maybe I will get an extra dispensation for that.

Oooh, a Cheoy Lee 52! One of the few vessels I would consider trading my Cheoy Lee 46 LRC for...

After 40 years of blow boats I just boat a GB36. I'm going to try trawler life for a while. I have considered, and can see both the pros & cons to either. Best of luck.

What? After reading all that no pic of DD new blow boat? Come on post a few pics....LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom