View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 05:24 AM   #9
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Very interesting and timely article for me. I am well into re-caulking my aft deck. After 38 years the caulk in a section most exposed to the elements had dried out and had pretty much gone missing. Fortunately, the caulk in much of the rest of the deck is still viable. Removing old caulk is not fun, a ton of work. I sprung for a Fein vibrating tool for which is available an attachment designed specifically for pulling out caulk. What an incredible time-saver versus a hand-tool, a reefing tool.

Anyway, on to the subject, protecting a teak deck. As part of the recauking, I am sanding the deck down to new wood. It's not likely that it had ever been sanded before because there is at least 1/4 inch of thickness after sanding. The deck was quite worn and harbored all sorts of dirt and mildew, impossible to get clean. Given that after reefing out the old caulk and adding new caulk the seams must be sanded smooth, I had no choice but to sand the entire deck smooth down to new wood. I am not finished but the sections that are complete look terrific, a uniform golden color.

I had determined to let it age naturally before reading this post and will likely do so. None of the products tested do not require repeated reapplications. Doing so every six months is not a choice for me, never mind the expense. Plus, a sailboater in a nearby slip re-did his decks last year, lots of teak completely exposed to the elements. He chose natural aging. His decks look terrific, to my eye, naturally gray. So, no teak oil or sealer is in my future but thanks for posting the Practical Sailor test. It was very helpful in re-enforcing my original decision.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote