Grand Banks Europa 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbinbi

I am looking for SD boat, posted a few x. Was looking at a Bene ST 44 and found one a few years old with 400 hrs for about 500k, but other forum members have been warning against the Volvos. Even though I find them very common on many new boats.

Still looking and have come across a GB Europa 43 with 400 hrs, in great shape, but 900k.

I cannot find the Europa model on Boattest, or anywhere. Not on the GB site, it seems they only have downeast style models now.

Can anyone give me some background on this model and explain why it is 300k more than a Bene of the same size. Am I comparing a chevy to a caddy? Reliability? It has cummins, 480s vs 240 Volvo, boat is 50% heavier, I don't know if there is ballast or just way more glass and built heavier.

I am looking to do coastal cruising, 7kts some of the time is great, 20kts at other times is also what I am looking for, and both boats do this.

Would appreciate anyone who has more info to share. Thanks.

Excellent boat.

Built very well fit and finish beautifully.

Go look at it then the Bene. That's all it will take.
Bene is a nice boat, but it is not a GB.
Two different animals built for two different clientele.

Full disclosure I lust after that boat.

The 43 GB has a solid glass hull (it is not a cored hull - there is an important and significant different between full glass and cored hulls), plus a modified hull design by (i believe) the leading US naval architect firm Sparkman & Stephens.

Because it is a solid glass hull, the 43 GB will necessarily be both heavier and more expensive than a cored hull boat.

The combination of a heavier, full glass hull plus the revised hull design mean that the 43 GB will likely be a significantly better handling boat in open water.

Well maintained GBs have excellent resale value (another reason why you are seeing a higher price to buy, but you will also get a higher price if/when you sell if you keep the maintenance up).

Cummins engines in that hp range are excellent and very well supported for spares globally. A well maintained set of those engines will give you long service. From personal experience I can say that Volvo engines in the 550/600 hp range are significantly cheaper to buy new than the Cummins equivalent, and that may be one reason why a lot of new boats these days have Volvos (because they are cheaper unit cost when new).

Hamish.

There can be a large difference in price, for the same approx. size boat varying greatly from brand to brand. Some brands, like GrandBanks have built up a great reputation amongst not only owners, but the boating community in general, and not only cost more new, but hold resale value (on average) more than some others as well. That has to say something about the market.

This does not, by itself, mean that you should buy the GB. Depending on many factors (many of which we don't know about you and your situation), you might find a better overall value in the Bene, and get just as much enjoyment out of it.
This is why they make so many different makes and models. It is about personal choice. Personally, I would not own another Volvo if I had a good choice. However, not all Volvos are bad and I would not automatically rule out a great boat just because of the Volvo, but in my opinion, the risk of some sort of issues is higher than with Cummins. (eg. parts prices and availability and ...)
The GB Europa 43 is a great boat, but is it right for you? Only you can answer that.

The Grand Banks is a wonderfully thought out and well designed vessel. The manuals are well documented.
The hull design is solid. The fittings used are top shelf. The interior finish is exemplary. It has been built for over 40 years and you can STILL get support information from Grand Banks and user groups. Grand Banks continually improved the boat year over year.
Absolutely no comparison to a B44.

Furthermore the “Banks” will hold its value. My boat would sell for more than I paid for her three years ago.

Thanks CKS. Can you tell me how the boat is at anchor, does it swing/hunt much? I am coming from a sailing cat, whose motion I really liked when taking on beam seas, and also at anchor. I am also now looking at power cats specifically for these reasons. My questions are from lack of experience on power boats. I have sailed for 50 years, 5' beam seas on my 22' sailboat was no issue, but I have no idea how a GB or other powerboat handles going into 20kts winds, 5' seas, beam, on the nose, behind. Is this weather you don't mind, or don't go out into?

Thanks CKS. Can you tell me how the boat is at anchor, does it swing/hunt much? I am coming from a sailing cat, whose motion I really liked when taking on beam seas, and also at anchor. I am also now looking at power cats specifically for these reasons. My questions are from lack of experience on power boats. I have sailed for 50 years, 5' beam seas on my 22' sailboat was no issue, but I have no idea how a GB or other powerboat handles going into 20kts winds, 5' seas, beam, on the nose, behind. Is this weather you don't mind, or don't go out into?

Both my current GB and a previous 42' that I owned can take 5' seas on the nose without issue, except for some spray. I haven't had issues with seas from the stern.

On the beam, though, it can get uncomfortable, particularly on the short chop we get in the Med, so I often "tack" to avoid excessive rock-and-roll with these conditions. Stabilisers would solve this.

Didn’t the GB 43 come equipped with Zeus Pod Drives?

I've always admired the GB Europa layout. If I ever moved to GB, it would definitely be a Europa. I had the great opportunity to be aboard a 2009 GB Europa 41 about 7-8 years ago. It seemed, outside and inside, more like a 46-48' vessel. Zeus pods. Mechanical and storage areas were amazing.

Last edited:
I am looking for SD boat, posted a few x. Was looking at a Bene ST 44 and found one a few years old with 400 hrs for about 500k, but other forum members have been warning against the Volvos. Even though I find them very common on many new boats.

Still looking and have come across a GB Europa 43 with 400 hrs, in great shape, but 900k.

I cannot find the Europa model on Boattest, or anywhere. Not on the GB site, it seems they only have downeast style models now.

Can anyone give me some background on this model and explain why it is 300k more than a Bene of the same size. Am I comparing a chevy to a caddy? Reliability? It has cummins, 480s vs 240 Volvo, boat is 50% heavier, I don't know if there is ballast or just way more glass and built heavier.

I am looking to do coastal cruising, 7kts some of the time is great, 20kts at other times is also what I am looking for, and both boats do this.

Would appreciate anyone who has more info to share. Thanks.

Your comparison of Chevy to Caddie is apt.
Both boats do 20 kts. The Bene needs 480 hp to do this, the GB 960.
If both are pod drive, IPS for the Volvos, Zeus for the Cummins, the reason for the hp diff is in the weight and hull design.

How old is the GB? Over a decade ago they re-tooled the 42, added hull below the swim grid and altered the bow a little, then renamed it a 47. Last summer I had an up close look at a 2010 Europa 47, tied right beside an older (1975) 42. You can see the extra width in the hull and the hull extension at the swimgrid, but you can also see that the on deck length hasn't change much at all. Things that used to hang off the hull are now tooled in, so that makes the difference in length.
Is that the "43" you are looking at?

I can’t speak to the Bene, but I can to the GB. We just got a 2008 GB 47 EU in November and I’ve been learning all the quirks. Having owned a Velasco 47 that will go 25 knots, and now the GB, what I can say is the new boat feels more like a ship then anything else I’ve had or been aboard. She can do 20 knots, but either I’m still getting use to her, or she’s reluctant to go at that speed and the boat feels better at 10-13 knots.

Build quality is unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom