Sonihull Ultrasonic Antifouling Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe that the UA technology is effective in large, high cost application.

The ones marketed towards recreational boats have to be priced for the market and that's what makes me skeptical about them.

Large commercial ultrasonic antifouling systems have been utilized in a wide range of installations for a long time and have experienced excellent results:

Pool cleaning (to reduce chemicals necessary to prevent algae blooms)

Ship hull protection (to prevent fouling, increasing speed and reducing fuel costs)

Heat exchanger protection (to extend operational cycles between cleaning)

Seachest / water intakes (to prevent blockages by marine growth)

Fuel tank protection (to stop algae growth and prevent diesel contamination)

Protection of offshore structures (such as wind farms, oil & gas installations etc.)

HVAC Cooling Towers to reduce or eliminate chemical dosing treatment

Last edited:
I believe that the UA technology is effective in large, high cost application.

The ones marketed towards recreational boats have to be priced for the market and that's what makes me skeptical about them.

Large commercial ultrasonic antifouling systems have been utilized in a wide range of installations for a long time and have experienced excellent results:

Pool cleaning (to reduce chemicals necessary to prevent algae blooms)

Ship hull protection (to prevent fouling, increasing speed and reducing fuel costs)

Heat exchanger protection (to extend operational cycles between cleaning)

Seachest / water intakes (to prevent blockages by marine growth)

Fuel tank protection (to stop algae growth and prevent diesel contamination)

Protection of offshore structures (such as wind farms, oil & gas installations etc.)

HVAC Cooling Towers to reduce or eliminate chemical dosing treatment

Have you website links regarding these commercial uses? You know who are the commercial scale UA system product manufacturers?

Have you website links regarding these commercial uses? You know who are the commercial scale UA system product manufacturers?

I got the info from Wikipedia.

You can do your own Google research since it's more important to you than it is to me.

Thanks for the quick reply. One quick question on the placement of your transducers. Are they mounted over the prop's?

Thanks again>

I have a single screw so they are to either side of centerline toward the stern.

Ultrasonic anti fouling systems have been marketed to recreational boaters for decades. I have performed hull cleanings on many, MANY thousands of boats in my career yet have never come across one. Ever. There is only one reason why that would be the case.

Ultrasonic anti fouling systems have been marketed to recreational boaters for decades. I have performed hull cleanings on many, MANY thousands of boats in my career yet have never come across one. Ever. There is only one reason why that would be the case.

Very interesting stat! Thanks!!

Sounds like they are so good that once the system is installed you never need to dive on it again

Sounds like they are so good that once the system is installed you never need to dive on it again

Oh yeah, I’m sure that’s why in 26 years and 35,000 hull cleanings I’ve never seen one in use or lost a customer to one. Because “they are so good.” :rolleyes:

Snake oil.

If it wasn't, it would be on every commercial and naval vessel in the world.

Snake oil.

If it wasn't, it would be on every commercial and naval vessel in the world.

If they performed as advertised they’d be on the shelf in every chandlery on the planet. If they performed as advertised the OP would have been able to sell them successfully (instead of not selling a single unit) and PYI wouldn’t be practically giving them away.

Last edited:

You have one... Know others who do? I'm really trying to get a handle on the efficiency of these units.

If you have one [or are in close communications with those who do]... I'd like to learn your first hand results - or second hand anecdotes from others.

"Painting the hull is not only for purpose of antifouling, it is also an important waterproofing barrier, protecting the gel coat from the effects (and immense cost) of osmosis."

This statement is from the PYI website FAQ section for Sonihull. It is either indicative of a serious lack of understanding of how anti fouling paint works or they simply don't want you to know that ultra sonic systems are not as effective as they would like you to think they are. In any event, I would take anything the company says about this product with a BIG grain of salt.

Last edited:
Hey Fast bottoms,,,Do you work the San Rafael area? Loch Lomond to be exact?

thanks,

chris

Hey Fast bottoms,,,Do you work the San Rafael area? Loch Lomond to be exact?

Chris,

Thanks for the inquiry. Unfortunately we do not service Marin County. That said, I admin a Facebook group for hull cleaners and most of the local divers (most of the diver’s nationwide, actually) are members. If you like, I can post your contact info there and I’m sure you’ll get multiple responses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom