Motivators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Want to share the epic real life stories which struck a chord, sparked new adventures, or that you keep referring to as motivational fuel for long term goals?

I found one today.

I'm no distance runner, but am about halfway to my goal of being able to run 20K. Being 60, I found the story of Australia's Cliff Young to be one such story.

He started running recreationally at 57, then entered the 2001 Sidney to Melbourne 875K (544 mile) ultramarathon. He was used to running because he lived on a sheep farm and couldn't afford a 4 wheel drive, so he'd typically run for three days rounding up sheep and since the race was about 6 days, he figured he could do it.

He finished in five days and won the race! His ace card was being able to keep going & going & going at a modest pace with hardly any sleep.

Last edited:
couldn't afford a 4 wheel drive, so he'd typically run for three days rounding up sheep
Couldn't even afford a dog?! ;)

Thanks, good story.

Last edited:
Couldn't even afford a dog?! ;)...
An animal rights person now claims being rounded up/moved by dogs and bikes (2/4 wheel) upsets the sheep and it should be by drone. Not a black one I hope or the sheep may think it`s a crow/raven which pecks out sheep/lamb`s eyes and waits for them to collapse.Imagine the animal rights person gets to the mating season( wholesale rape/no consent obtained/no courtship meal and drink first). Even worse, the abattoir( consent will be especially tricky there).
Sorry for the hijack Murray. Btw, it`s Sydney(not Sidney). I always understood Cliff Young was a potato farmer. Very fit,he kept doing it for years, "fully retired" now.

Last edited:
...Sorry for the hijack Murray. Btw, it`s Sydney(not Sidney). I always understood Cliff Young was a potato farmer. Very fit,he kept doing it for years, "fully retired" now.

No problem...consider my hands slapped for the Sidney/Sydney faux pas :flowers:

Found the sheep bit in a quote ascribed to him...didn't bother to sleuth out a second source.

Pretty cool story though. Don't think an ultra is in my future anytime soon (20K still seems implausible) but just goes to show what a person can do when sufficiently motivated.

Think you're having a bad day? Want a glimpse into what humans are capable of doing to survive?

Ed Whitlock ran in his youth, stopped when he moved from England to northern Ontario after university, then picked it up again in his 40's and kept going into his mid 80's:

Just watched "Chasing Pounamu" which is about a 58 year old and his 100 mile ultramarathon experiences through the forests and mountains of New Zealand.

One of the better running documentaries I've seen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom