Grand Banks 42 Classic Curtain Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tie A Knot

Vessel Name
Sea Gypsy
Vessel Make
42 Grand Banks Classic
We recently purchased a 1981 Grand Banks 42 that needs some love. We are at present doing a LOT of interior work. Replacing all the windows that were delaminated and sealed shut, new headliner, stripping all the interior teak , etc., etc., etc. My issue right now is the curtains. The previous owner had removed the curtains and tracks to install blinds. I want to go back to the Grand Banks
curtains but I'm at a standstill as I cannot figure out how they are done. If I could get a couple of pictures I could figure it out. I assume they are on a low profile track mounted under the valance. BUT....are the curtains pleated and hung on hooks, hung on tape ?? I really need this info to move ahead. The only boat curtain info I can find on the internet is for sailboats. I love the look of the tied back pleated drapes...they are part of what the older Grand Banks are.....Classic.
Jann

We recently purchased a 1981 Grand Banks 42 that needs some love. We are at present doing a LOT of interior work. Replacing all the windows that were delaminated and sealed shut, new headliner, stripping all the interior teak , etc., etc., etc. My issue right now is the curtains. The previous owner had removed the curtains and tracks to install blinds. I want to go back to the Grand Banks
curtains but I'm at a standstill as I cannot figure out how they are done. If I could get a couple of pictures I could figure it out. I assume they are on a low profile track mounted under the valance. BUT....are the curtains pleated and hung on hooks, hung on tape ?? I really need this info to move ahead. The only boat curtain info I can find on the internet is for sailboats. I love the look of the tied back pleated drapes...they are part of what the older Grand Banks are.....Classic.
Jann

My GB 42 is a Motor Yacht but same curtains as on 42 Classic & Europa.
Indeed they are pleated and hung on hooks on a low profile aluminum track.

Attachments

• 8587F32C-9866-41C7-8B38-F57926244EB6.jpg
    8587F32C-9866-41C7-8B38-F57926244EB6.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Personally we like mini blinds, but if you want to make, or have made, curtains then Sailrite has a lot of mounting equipment.

I’ve attached a quick sketch of our 1986 GB Classic curtain hanging method.

A “mushroom” plastic piece is sewn into the top of each pleat (see Pilou’s curtains above). Then the curtain and mushroom hangers are inserted into the track behind the valances.

Attachments

• FE02FC01-DA23-4CF1-ACA3-8D13832E26A1.jpg
    FE02FC01-DA23-4CF1-ACA3-8D13832E26A1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks to all the replies. Steve your attachment will not open :(. That's what I am looking for a picture of how they are attached. I did look on Sailrite and their eye with hook is not for a pleat as far as I can tell. We had mini blinds on our last boat and I was not a fan, besides I want the "Grand Banks look". The sketch Ray sent was VERY helpful but I have never seen that kind of "mushroom" attachment for curtains. I am wondering if I could just stitch the eyes that are made to slide in the track to the curtain pleat.
Another question is are your curtains made of a lightweight material and lined ?
Thanks so much for all the input it is much appreciated.
Jann

To illustrate the great sketch from Ray.

Enlarge the pic where a green arrow is pointing. It’s the same "system" on the top track.

Attachments

• 8CCD7543-1F89-4307-82D5-F290BE32FE44.jpg
    8CCD7543-1F89-4307-82D5-F290BE32FE44.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 77
Thanks to all the replies. Steve your attachment will not open :(. That's what I am looking for a picture of how they are attached. I did look on Sailrite and their eye with hook is not for a pleat as far as I can tell. We had mini blinds on our last boat and I was not a fan, besides I want the "Grand Banks look". The sketch Ray sent was VERY helpful but I have never seen that kind of "mushroom" attachment for curtains. I am wondering if I could just stitch the eyes that are made to slide in the track to the curtain pleat.
Another question is are your curtains made of a lightweight material and lined ?
Thanks so much for all the input it is much appreciated.
Jann

I’ve seen some that are lined. However, ours are just a woven fabric that is similar to the fabric on our settee.

Curtains come and go in our harsh environment. We are close to replacing our curtains. This time we may consider Sunbrella-brand material. Don’t plan to add a liner. I’ll let you know how it holds up in a few years!

Pilou, good idea adding a bottom track.

Jann,

I've found many "oddball" curtain tracks and carriers/glides (what they call the part you attach to the curtain) at www.curtain-tracks.com

Some of them can also be found at Sailrite and other places, but I have found some at curtain-tracks that I could not find elsewhere. They also typically have a number of photos of each one, and often one of the photos includes measurements.

No affiliation other than finding oddball glides there.

Frosty

PS: Although I typically like mini-blinds, I am with you when it comes to the GB curtains. They just seem to suit it so well.

Thanks Ray. The two rear windows of the salon have bottom track encased into the teak wood.

All windows have external double covers : batyline + sunbrella, with double snap.

Attachments

• F021C104-1950-4762-B375-FD1629E3D3E9.jpg
    F021C104-1950-4762-B375-FD1629E3D3E9.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 17
  • BF6738D7-32E8-4198-9F0D-336137C985CC.jpg
    BF6738D7-32E8-4198-9F0D-336137C985CC.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 18
  • E1F2D33D-7365-4BF2-846E-D7BE86AFAB46.jpeg
    E1F2D33D-7365-4BF2-846E-D7BE86AFAB46.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 16
  • CEA2D5F8-26C4-43CF-96AF-990BEF8D0DF2.jpg
    CEA2D5F8-26C4-43CF-96AF-990BEF8D0DF2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 17
Great information from everyone. The more input the easier it becomes! Thanks again. Jann

I think the reason Pilou has the bottom track stock and yours (probably?) doesn't is whether those aft saloon windows slope or are vertical. (Hers slope.)

I'm more familiar with the 36-footer, but I have noticed that when the after saloon windows were changed to sloped in 1988 (1987 and older were vertical), the curtains were then secured at the bottom (which makes sense as otherwise they would flop inward at the bottom).

Not sure how the 42 evolved, but if yours don't have bottom tracks, maybe your aft windows are vertical like the pre-1988 36's are?

Well this is an interesting idea. Pilou, do you leave the the see thru part on all year and cover with sunbrella when not in use to protect from weather?

sunbrella cover.jpg

I think the reason Pilou has the bottom track stock and yours (probably?) doesn't is whether those aft saloon windows slope or are vertical. (Hers slope.)

I'm more familiar with the 36-footer, but I have noticed that when the after saloon windows were changed to sloped in 1988 (1987 and older were vertical), the curtains were then secured at the bottom (which makes sense as otherwise they would flop inward at the bottom).

Not sure how the 42 evolved, but if yours don't have bottom tracks, maybe your aft windows are vertical like the pre-1988 36's are?

Hi Frosty

Yes you are right, my 2 aft saloon windows slope which was the reason why there are bottom tracks.

Problem was those curtains of the 2 aft windows didn’t have tieback. So, I asked a hupholsterer to cut one pleat of a curtain from which he made 3 tiebacks to match with curtains and other tiebacks, with snaps. 2 for the starboard aft saloon window (2 curtains), 1 for the port (1 curtain).

Attachments

• 435BFB96-8AE2-49F2-948C-A23BE693D1AB.jpg
    435BFB96-8AE2-49F2-948C-A23BE693D1AB.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 15
  • D887BF01-E575-4D9B-9A3F-98EF834436EA.jpg
    D887BF01-E575-4D9B-9A3F-98EF834436EA.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 23
Well this is an interesting idea. Pilou, do you leave the the see thru part on all year and cover with sunbrella when not in use to protect from weather?

Hi Steve

Thank you. Yes indeed I leave the batyline see-through covers all the year long except when cruising long distance at night from the inside helm for better visibility.

These batyline "dim" the light just perfect, well let see through from inside and mask the inside of the boat from outside. Also they perfectly prevent mosquitoes and bugs to come in when windows are open.

They cover and protect as well the external frames of the windows.

Indeed I cover with sunbrella to protect from the weather when not in use or sometimes as well at the anchor when too much sunshine.
White sunbrella for the saloon windows to let the daylight in, marine blue to obscur the 14 windows of the 3 cabins for long sleepers :)

Attachments

• 76EEB5C2-1054-45C9-8311-EBCC096DCF14.jpg
    76EEB5C2-1054-45C9-8311-EBCC096DCF14.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 8EB8CAC1-AF1B-4182-B487-97F8AE99BA28.jpeg
    8EB8CAC1-AF1B-4182-B487-97F8AE99BA28.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 11
  • A027401C-DBC4-4FC0-920C-9CE5B08C81E3.jpg
    A027401C-DBC4-4FC0-920C-9CE5B08C81E3.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 27BB2FD8-69E8-4B89-951C-44EC98D77313.jpeg
    27BB2FD8-69E8-4B89-951C-44EC98D77313.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 11
  • CF5EE9EE-A46E-4CA6-9F99-649E3162A2CB.jpeg
    CF5EE9EE-A46E-4CA6-9F99-649E3162A2CB.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 60C95E15-1584-4ADE-B1C5-6669AF6CF98B.jpg
    60C95E15-1584-4ADE-B1C5-6669AF6CF98B.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 11

My 1986 GB42 has vertical aft windows. Did the “Classic” windows slope after a certain year or is it the design of the “Motor Yacht”, such as Pilou’s?

Phifertex is the brand here. Our boat has the white covers which we put on and take off. I will keep this sunbrella add on in mind. Yes it keeps the bugs outside and cooler inside.

Our 1981 GB 42 Classic does not have sloped windows so no bottom track needed. I am ordering tracks and slides from Curtain Tracks.com. Since we are on the subject is the Batyline the same as Phifertex Plus do you think? That's what we had on our Present trawler but we also had screens. If it keeps the bugs out with no screens I'll be for it. The boat now has regular Phifertex which I don't think will work to keep bugs out. This forum is such a great way to get information!

My 1986 GB42 has vertical aft windows. Did the “Classic” windows slope after a certain year or is it the design of the “Motor Yacht”, such as Pilou’s?

The 36 Classic began with the sloped windows when they enlarged it in 1988 (beam/length). I'm not as up on the 42, but didn't they do the same to it in 1991? If so, I bet that's when the sloped windows started

The rear windows on my 1992 46' are sloped.

Which Batyline product?

Can you provide specifics on which Batyline product is used in your application?

It looks like it might be the Solits product. Do you know what % open mesh?

Hi Steve

Thank you. Yes indeed I leave the batyline see-through covers all the year long except when cruising long distance at night from the inside helm for better visibility.

These batyline "dim" the light just perfect, well let see through from inside and mask the inside of the boat from outside. Also they perfectly prevent mosquitoes and bugs to come in when windows are open.

They cover and protect as well the external frames of the windows.

Indeed I cover with sunbrella to protect from the weather when not in use or sometimes as well at the anchor when too much sunshine.
White sunbrella for the saloon windows to let the daylight in, marine blue to obscur the 14 windows of the 3 cabins for long sleepers :)

Can you provide specifics on which Batyline product is used in your application?

It looks like it might be the Solits product. Do you know what % open mesh?

Hi Contingensea,

"Batyline Soltis" has different % open mesh but it's not what I have.

Mine is "Screen Boat Batyline Iso" Reference 7407

Sable color ("sand" in English) Refence 5029

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 12
To illustrate the great sketch from Ray.

Enlarge the pic where a green arrow is pointing. It’s the same "system" on the top track.

Monitoring for earth-quacks???

It’s a marine barograph, a recording aneroid barometer where the changes in atmospheric pressure are recorded on a paper chart.

:thumb: Interesting "little" device your don't often find on a boat! How old and what brand is it if your don't me asking?

:thumb: Interesting "little" device your don't often find on a boat! How old and what brand is it if your don't me asking?

I don't mind at all :)

This barograph was made in France by MAXANT, a company specialized in developing and manufacturing technical and scientific instruments.

The aneroid barometer was invented by French watchmaker Antoine Redier (1817-1882), it was patented in 1844. At that time Antoine Redier manufactured thermometer, hygrometer, timer, chronometer (stopwatch), pressure controller, in a little factory located in Paris.

Later, the factory was bought by Léon Maxant (1856-1936) who manufactured precision instrumentation and controls including barometer and barograph. Then Léon's sons took over in second generation and developped the company, then followed by Léon's grand-son until 1999 when the campany Maxant was sold to Jules Richard to form the JRI Maxant company.

Now JRI Maxant company is manufacturing thermal appliances and temperature indicators and recorders in the field of ultra high precision for the pharmaceutical sector, hospital, research laboratory, health care, health and safety's logistic. They have developed innovative technological solutions in monitoring on site and remotely the appropriate storage conditions of Covid vaccines.

From the 19th century until 1990, Maxant was a French Navy approved supplier.

In late 1978, my future husband, who was 22 years old at that time, won a very unusual contest, organised by a Grand Banks dealer. He was awarded with this barograph.

Attachments

• IMG_7426.jpg
    IMG_7426.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Before digital barometers, the state of the art was the aneroid barographs. The most important element for predicting weather is looking at trends, not absolute numbers. Frequent readings are necessary to understand what the barometer is telling us.

The solution to the need for noting trends is to have a recording barometer (barograph), a device that makes a record of pressure readings over time. Then if you don’t pay attention until weather deteriorates, you still have a record. Pen and paper barographs use aneroid barometers to measure air pressure and record it on paper attached to a drum. The drum turns slowly, usually powered by clock movement, as the pressure changes and the arm moves, it makes a mark on the paper. The drum takes a week to make one revolution, after which the paper must be replaced.

The old-fashioned recording barographs with pen and paper drums are expensive and vulnerable in their glass cases, and generally only true devotees carry them on cruising boats, like myself. They are still so precise that many of them still operate in perfect working order.

New barographs are almost exclusively digital, which allows to digitize, amalgamate and quickly compare stored charts. Also most everyone carries a smartphone these days, and since it’s collecting data from the phone’s own sensor, the app doesn’t require Wi-Fi or cellular service to work.

Attachments

• IMG_7434.jpg
    IMG_7434.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7433.jpg
    IMG_7433.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7429.jpg
    IMG_7429.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7430.jpg
    IMG_7430.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7436.jpg
    IMG_7436.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 7
Before digital barometers, the state of the art was the aneroid barographs.

I think you meant "Android", correct? And, what is this "paper and pencil" instrument you are referring to? I'm not sure I'm familiar with this.... ;)

By the way, you might want to upgrade the electronics on that yacht of yours! You can get live satellite images downloaded right to your multifunction display, phone or tabloid! Garmin recently did away with paper. It might give you a bit more detail about the weather! I'm kidding of course. ;)

Great info, thanks! I worked for a German balance and scale instrument company (Sartorius) for ~25 years. There old 1800's and early 1900's units looked very similar, also in a glass wooden cases. Now they are mostly Biotech company.

Attachments

• Balance.jpg
    Balance.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You are welcome.

"The aneroid barometer was invented by French watchmaker Antoine Redier (1817-1882)". I meant "aneroid", not "android" :).

An aneroid barometer is a nonliquid barometer. It contains a flexible-walled evacuated capsule, the wall of which deflects with changes in atmospheric pressure. This deflection is coupled mechanically to an indicating needle, or to a pen on a barograph.

I like your humour :). Yes I have as well a computer and some electronic devices on board :), but we like this barograph that in late 1978 my future husband was awarded with when he won the first prize of the contest of the youngest world-wide Grand Banks's owner. Indeed he took delivery of his new Grand Banks 42' Classic on the day of his 23 birthday. We got married 6 months later and spent our honeymoon aboard, cruising the Western Med. Just saying that for the small history of the barograph we have aboard, not at all "to show off". 2 months ago I had a good laught when one member of the forum asked me on a sarcastic tone if "I had ever put my foot on a boat ?" while I have been boating for more than 40 years on our several Grand Banks :).

Thanks for the pic of the lab scale instrument. You worked for Sartorius ? Great! Sartorius (indeed now "Sartorius Stedim Biotech") is now a key partner company in the global biopharmaceutical industry, biotech industry, and the research sector, especially in bioprocess development and instrument services among many others applications and services. Sartorius is so-called "the Rolls-Royce of health".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom