Perkins engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
Looking at a 1992 DeFever 49 with twin Perkins M200ti engines with 2350 hours. Just sold our trawler with a single Perkins t6.3544m. It performed flawlessly for us in 2400 hours of use. Preliminary research shows that these are pretty much the same engine. Any similarities or differences, pros/cons. This will not be a dock queen, but plan on doing some serious travels. Parts availability is a concern. Thanks in advance for any insight.

You can buy all the parts needed to overhaul the engines, plus new or rebuilt pumps, starters, injector pumps, and so on.

Yes, pretty much the same engine. Trans Atlantic Diesel can get everything you need.

Just check the multi coolers. They normally get ignored for regular maintenance and are extremely pricey to replace if you can find them.

Thanks for the tip. Have read this in my previous research... what type of maintenance is required of the multi coolers and how does one check to be sure it’s been done? What is the normal service interval for them and is this a diy project or for the more mechanically inclined?
I’ve done all the maintenance on my t6.354 and it has always purred like a tiger and have had 2 diesel mechanics look at the engine and simply say keep doing what you’ve been doing. In other words, if it ain’t broken, don’t try to fix it.

Keep track of any coolant loss. Check the coolant level daily by removing the radiator cap and sticking a finger in there. The only things you can do is clean the tube bundle ends. Two simple gaskets from TAD are needed. Run a rifle cleaner rod through the tubes. Any big debris that gets past the sea strainer and water pump will get stuck on the oil cooler tube sheet.

Last edited:
I would say the only real way to know if it's been maintained is to disassemble it and do the job yourself.
At least then you'll know you're good to go for several years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom