Think you know Grand Banks ? What about the Chantyman ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread grows more and more fascinating. Thank you to all the contributors and, especially the OP, Pilou. :flowers:

Attachments

• History of Alaskan 46 hull #28 Jerry Land.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Alaskan 46-01.jpg
    Alaskan 46-01.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Having taken my 1st ever boat trip from Puget Sound to Alaska in a friends GB32, we were sure to buy a GB for our first boat. We purchased a 1972 GB 43 #305 in 1992 and sailed her from LA to Puget Sound. We sold her 1995 after purchasing a 1976 GB 50. This boat was unusual in that it was a documented GB but sold as a Kong &Halverson. I believe it was hull #65.
The story that I put together was that it was an unfinished GB that came under the stewardship of Kong & Halverson when they took over the wood yard. It was finished for Leo Collar who was the president (?) of Crowley tug. He has several modifications made that I believe were unique to the GB50 line. These include a hawse anchor system from the side of the bow, a teak upper deck and a full king berth in the master. The bulwarks were ply as opposed to the short, small piece, solid wood build.
We purchased it from some folks in Anacortes who had used it for a liveaboard for several years while constructing their marina condo units. We took it yearly to Alaska and sold it in 2002 to some folks whose family owned a marina and shipyard in Scappoose, Ore. as we thought we were getting out of boating (ha!, ha!).
We sometimes regret selling her as she was such a good boat. I checked the USCG documentation list a couple of years ago and the folks in Oregon were still listed as the owners. I had run into them in 2006 and they thanked me for selling them such a fine boat!

Tator

Interesting post, thank you Tator.
63 Grand Banks 50 have been built at Junk Bay boatyard plus 2 unfinished. Since yours was hull #65, she was the very latest.

I guess that yours had the 2 engine rooms configuration (1 for each engine) separated by a passageway to access the aft master cabin, 1 spiral staircase on the forward part of the boat, 2 forward cabins.

After Joseph Kong & Harvey Halvorsen took control of the Junk Bay boatyard, they extended the 50 model to 55 foot, with 1 large engine room over the full width of the boat, 2 spiral stair cases (1 to access the 2 forward cabins, 1 to access the aft master cabin from the salon).

Many royalty crowned heads of Europe have owned a Grand Banks 50. Prince Albert of Belgium (who later became King Albert II of Belgium) owned a Grand Banks 50 hull #27, moored in Port Vauban of Antibes, French riviera.

Prince Bernhard of the Netherland sailed a Laguna 38' (a high performance boat built in fiberglass by American Marine Ltd at the Singapore boatyard) from June 1973 to September 1980, then a Grand Banks 42 sedan until 1985. In 1984 on an official trip to Indonesia, Prince Bernhard stopped in Singapore to visit the boatyard. An order was placed on the new Grand Banks 49 just being introduced since the Prince needed some more room and an extra cabin, which has been shipped to Marseille, south of France, in June 1985, and had been in royal service until September 1991. In June 1992, Prince Bernhard took delivery of his new Grand Banks 58.

Still about royalty of Europe, British royal Princess Margaret, the second daughter of King George VI and the younger sister of Queen Elizabeth II, enjoyed sailing a Grand Banks 42 Europa when she visited the American Marine Ltd boatyard in Singapore.

Photos below :
- Prince Albert of Belgium purchasing his Grand Banks 50 at Brussels boat show.
- Prince Albert aboard Grand Banks 50 on a trip from Antwerp to Zeebrugge, Belgium.
- Prince Bernhard of the Netherland's Grand Banks 49 unloaded in Marseille-Fos harbor.
- Prince Bernhard's Grand Banks 58.
- Princess Margaret aboard a Grand Banks 42 Europa in Singapore.

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PRINCESS MARGARET GB 42 EUROPA.jpg
    PRINCESS MARGARET GB 42 EUROPA.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 58
Grand Banks 50 brochure

Attachments

• Image28.jpg
    Image28.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Image29.jpg
    Image29.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 8
  • Image30.jpg
    Image30.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Image31.jpg
    Image31.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 10
Thank you Frosty,

Indeed we have thousands of docs and photos about American Marine Ltd's boats, yachts, events, live aboard, rendez-vous, also almost the whole collection in PDF and hardcover of American Marine News magazine & Spay magazine. We even have a announcement's card of the passing of Robert J. Newton, founder & President of American Marine Ltd company owner of Chantyman, Grand Banks, Alaskan, Laguna, Admiralty, Eastbay lines of yachts.

At the beguinning, Robert Newton owned and managed a soft drink bottling plant located in Mok Cheong Street of a village called "To Kwa Wan", Hong Kong.

In the 1950s, the soft drink business facing different difficult challenges, Robert Newton and his 2 sons John and Wit started a boat building shipyard located at his bottling plan's parking lot (!) on the side of Junk Bay. They called the company "American Marine Ltd".

Mok Cheong Street still exist, but the To Kwa Wan village is not a city anymore, it has been incorporated in Hong Kong. The area is located very near the former Kong Kai Tak Airport of Hong Kong, so-called one of the world's most dangerous airport. I trust that those who have visited Hong Kong before 1998 remember the old Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport, it was located in the urban area of Hong Kong where is full of high buildings and surrounded by mountains and water on 3 sides. These mountains made taking off and landing very difficult and impressive.

In late 1950s, Robert Newton and his sons built new buildings still on the sea side of Junk Bay where they built many custom motorboats and sailboats in which the Chantyman (motorboat), Admiralty (Motorsailer), 40' sailboat Sparkman and Stevens, then in 1963 the famous 36' Spray. In 1965/66, they started to build the first Grand Banks, a 36', with marine architect Kenneth Smith who had previously designed SPRAY. Then we know the history.

My father's husband travelled to Hong Kong right after he ordered his first Grand Banks, a 42' Classic hull # 52 which was the first or second GB 42 delivered in Europe, in mid 1968. My future husband who was 11 years old at that time, traveled with his father and got the chance to visit the American Marine Ltd's Junk Bay boatyard.

Among all the numerous pictures we have :
Pic #1 : Junk Bay boatyard at its beguinning.

Pics #2, 3, 4 : Chantyman.

Pic #5 : One of the first GB 36' built.

Pic #6 from left to right :
- Joseph Kong, production manager. When American Marine Ltd stopped building wooden boats and closed the Hong Kong Junk Bay boatyard to build fiberglass yachts in Singapore, Mr Kong teamed up with Harvey Halvorsen to create "Kong & Halvorsen Marine & Engineering Company, Ltd" which build boats under the "Kong & Halvorsen" and "Island Gypsy" brand names.
- Robert J Newton,
- Tony Fleming, technical director, who later created Fleming Yachts. Tony Fleming have "the skills of an engineer and the eye of an artist". He started his boatbuilding career with American Marine in Hong Kong first building wooden boats and then in fiberglass. It's Tony Fleming himself who designed and created the Grand Banks 42' Motoryacht.

Pics #7 & #8 : "To Kwa Wan" area to date, where the Grand Banks story started.

Pic #9 : Senator Ted Kennedy aboard a Laguna 38'. In 1972 American Marine Ltd produced in Singapore boatyard the Laguna line, a flush-deck highspeed boat reflecting the popular lines in Europe, powered by twin turbo 637 V8 diesels. On the pic, Phil Harill of Ammarine Ltd, Sausalito, CA, hosted Senator Ted Kennedy aboard a Laguna 38'. Ted Kennedy cruised across San Francisco Bay, from Tiberon to Oakland aboard the Laguna, to attend a football game.

Here's an interesting fact. I have hull #125, 1969,42ft Grand banks. This boat was built for Mr Robert Newton as a retirement gift. He had it built with 800 gallon fuel tanks, instead of the 600 standard, and,in the main salon,instead of the settee, he had the cabinet from the Grand Alaskan installed. Rumor has it that this boat was also built at the Grand Alaskan yard,using superior wood and such.
She's still alive and cruising.

I have somewhere black & white photos of your Grand Banks 42' Classic when Robert Newton took delivery.

And I now am the proud owner of her.

Here's an interesting fact. I have hull #125, 1969,42ft Grand banks. This boat was built for Mr Robert Newton as a retirement gift. He had it built with 800 gallon fuel tanks, instead of the 600 standard, and,in the main salon,instead of the settee, he had the cabinet from the Grand Alaskan installed. Rumor has it that this boat was also built at the Grand Alaskan yard,using superior wood and such.
She's still alive and cruising.

I had GB 42-125 which was built for Robert & Mildred Newton, founders of American Marine Ltd. And she is a fine boat still.

Amazing! So, at different times both of you have owned the same GB 42 originally built for Robert Newton. :thumb:

When your Grand Banks 42 was built in 1969, the Alaskan (not "Grand Alaskan" which was DeFever yachts) line was not yet launched.

Last edited:
Amazing! So, both of you have owned the same GB 42 originally built for Robert Newton. :thumb:

YESSIR. I'm the 5th or 6th owner. Capt DJ was 2 owners prior to me.
We stay in touch.

Sorry 'bout that ma'am

The original owner of this Grand Banks 42 Motor Yacht - a world-famous man in the field of the best yachts' builders who is a friend of my husband - went ahead with a long dream to build a personal boat.

The boat is powered by a single engine Gardner 6LX. The Gardner is backed up by a Faryman powered Trawler Hauler, a unit assembled by Engineering Technology of New Jersey which drives a 6kw alternator as well as a hydraulic motor turning a small wing propeller capable of driving the boat at around 3 1/2 knots.

Also the Gardner is mounted on massive engine beds using Swedish made Scatra mounts and propeller thrust is absorbed by a thrust bearing. This unique arrangement, which also incorporates a highly flexible coupling, eliminates virtually all vibrations. The engine room is fully lined with lead/form sound insulation and all access hatches are fitted with neoprene gaskets and latches.

The result is a boat which is so quiet as to be uncanny and, under all but the most silent environments, it’s difficult to be sure that the engine is running without consulting the instruments. All the overheads, hull-sides and even exhaust hoses have also been cocooned in fiberglass insulation.

A total of 960 US gallons of diesel is carried in 2 fuel tanks made of marine aluminium. A special anchor platform was developed with 2 rollers for 2 anchors.

The original owner had scoured the world for best available and the list is impressive. Engine from England, transmission from the USA, coupling from Sweden, stuffing box from France, windlass from Italy, spars from Australia, instruments from Germany, stainless steel from Japan, teak from Burma, interiors lamp from Denmark, and the skill contributed by the craftsmen of American Marine Ltd boat yard in Singapore who dovetailed all the pieces together.

It's one of the very few Grand Banks which have more than one mast.

Attachments

• GB 42 MY_MOTORSAILER.jpg
    GB 42 MY_MOTORSAILER.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 10
  • GARDNER.jpg
    GARDNER.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The engine room is fully lined with lead/form sound insulation... The result is a boat which is so quiet as to be uncanny...

Well there's my dream trawler then :)

(Many other unique features too.)

Did they take that second mast from the Prince Albert's GB50?

Attachments

• mastless.jpg
    mastless.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom