Universal 5424 24hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruceboating

Veteran Member
Well i finally found what make my engine is now to find how much fuel it burns Its a Universal 5424 24hp if anyone knows Chime in please

There is a specific formula one of the engineers here will use for you, it will give you your answer, But...

We need more info. What is the boat, how heavy, are you dragging nets, RPM range? Is the engine in tune? Is it your main or running a genny? Any power consuming accessories on it (hydraulic, alternator, inverter, pumps?)

pete

My boat is an Albin 25 Weight is 3900 lbs no sails or things draging in water its new to me Havent even brought it home yet coming home the 10th Just trying to get a range on consuption Universal engine model 5424 24 hp diesel Thanks for any info And any other input about this engine......

Very close to .6gph at 6 knots.

Hi Bruceboating,

Best guess on fuel consumption (at hull speed, which is probably around 6 knots) is ~0.5 gph.

Regards,

Pete

Wow thats better that i Thought of course actual may vary But at least this gives me an idea of my motoring use Thanks so much......

Bruce,
It depends on how fast you run your Albin.

I cruised mine at 8.5 knots and a bit over 1hph at 2750rpm. And later on (most of my time w the A25) I ran at 7.35 knots. Just got tired of the running 8 knots.
I should add that I had the older style hull that was more easily driven. The later hulls (wider astern) are slower w low power but faster w 65hp or so. It all has to do w the hull shape below the WL. My old hulled Albin would go 11 knots at WOT but I couldn’t basically see where I was going the bow was so high. Took 34.5hp to to this too.

I think there’s more of the later wide stern boats made.
Now ... what kind of hull do you have?

I have Hull #457 A 1970 I like the design and weight of these boats and the fact i can haul it around is a big plus for me looking to take its first trip on the Ohio river this summer

I think mine was a 1970 also.
Where are you? Not much info in your left column there dude.

Im located in pickens SC I want to thank all for the info on my engine Once i get it home Clean it up ect I will have to take her to the lake And practice with her Im used to an outboard So this will be alot different especially backing up I love backing up with an outboard don't think I'm gonna like it as much with a trawler thought about adding some trolling motors for a better back up mounted to top of rudder and back a bit Just a thought Dont bite my head off on that one to hard Im used to the outboard

Backing w the A25 isn’t bad. You can back using the rudder at 2 to 2.5 knots. 3 knots and you’ve got a handful. You need to hold on tight because if gets away from you the rudder will slam against the stops and possibly do damage.
But there is the usual prop walk. The A25 is such a light boat maneuvering in tight places w wind and current means at times you’ve gotta act fast to keep up w the A25 that loves to dance around.

Practice Practice ... and the best of luck.

It really doesn't take much fuel to push a trawler at around hull speed. Most trawlers will get between three and five mpg. These are unheard of numbers for most boaters.

pete

Im used to an outboard So this will be alot different especially backing up I love backing up with an outboard don't think I'm gonna like it as much with a trawler thought about adding some trolling motors for a better back up mounted to top of rudder and back a bit Just a thought

I will attempt to dissuade from that idea as gently, but firmly as I possibly can.

You have a couple of options:

1) Install a bow thruster.

2) Install a stern thruster

3) Install a bow and stern thruster

4) Learn how to dock a single inboard without thrusters.

When I say 'thruster' I mean 'Side-Power' or "Vetus". NOT an electric trolling motor.

I have a 3ton 26 foot boat (see avatar) with a 20hp diesel and 3 to 1 gear that cruises at 6kts turning 2200rpm that's burning an average of .35gph so far (180 hrs. on the new engine).

A good rule of thumb is 1 gph gives 18 hp. So at WOT you'll use about 1.3 gph.

Another good rule of thumb is that if you drop 400 rpm from WOT fuel consumption is halved so in your case 2/3 gph or so.

Fish53,
You probably only need a small fraction of 22hp to cruise at 6 knots.
We cruise Willy at 6 knots but we’ve got 8 tons and a bigger boat. Six knots being about hull speed your whaleboat must make some waves at 6 knots.
If your whaleboat was built at Uniflite I may have installed the shaft log, engine bed or rudder port.

Re the talk we burn 1gph at 6.15 knots .. 18hp applied. 2300rpm.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Practice, practice, practice. Yep. Take her to the lake and have fun. Throw out some fenders and then try to maneuver to pick them up. Try to back in a straight line. Learn to use your "prop-walk". Neutral IS a gear. Go slow enough so that WHEN you hit something you do as little damage as possible. Start out in calm conditions (wind and current) to build your confidence. You'll soon learn to read her reactions.

I would strongly suggest you hold off on ANY major alterations or renovations for at least one season.Sure, clean her up and get her ship-shape. Repair that loose fitting, do some maintenance etc. but delay thruster installation and that includes trolling motors (as mentioned).

I knew of a fellow with a 38' Marine Trader (MT) single Lehman. He had a bow thruster installed. Several years later I asked him how it was working out as I had a 34 MT at the time and was thinking of adding a bow thruster. He said he used it quite a bit the first year, not so much the second and hardly at all subsequently.

I decided NOT to go the thruster route and was quite content to live with the occasional embarrassment of entertaining onlookers with a poor landing. Nobody got hurt and I didn't break the boat or anything else. Win/win IMO.

We used about .5 gph doing 5 kts on our 32' sailboat with the 5424.

Had that boat 20 years and only found Niemiec Marine for Universal parts as we were. Great source.

We recently had a 5424 in our O'Day 34. She was ruined in Sally. Before the storm I pulled the 5424 to rework and put a Lombardini 3 cyl in her. If you need or want parts I have everything except the oil filter housing. Alternators, raw water pumps, exhaust riser, block, head and a complete gasket set. I did a lot of research and it is in fact the Kubota D1101 engine. It was installed in the D245 tractor. It pushed a 14500lb sailboat around at 6-7 knots (hull speed for that waterline) all day for .6 gallons per hour. I calculated this traveling from Savannah down the ICW through Ocachobee and to Destin. If you run this engine at 1800 RPM we got best fuel to speed. More RPM's did not translate to much more speed, just more noise and vibration and about .5 knots.

Well i dont think i need the engine mine seems to be in good shape but tou never know till something lets go

Back
Top Bottom