Year of 90 HP Johnson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Datenight

Guru
Vessel Name
Datenight
Vessel Make
North Pacific 45
The console, leaning post and several other items were stolen out of a 17' inflatable I had in storage at our yacht club. The thieves cut the engine control cables, steering cable and engine harness. I bought the boat used several years ago and had not put it in the water yet.

The issue is trying to determine the year of the motor so I can replace the harness. It's not on the bill of sale and the model number tag is missing the last 2 or 3 letters/numbers. I have had no luck trying to find the year by serial number which is clear in the photo. If anyone is able to help me figure this out it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

• Johnson ser num.jpg
    Johnson ser num.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If it were mine I'd try to do a very careful "forensic" look at that tag.... looks like a lot of gunk or corrosion where the protective film has peeled away. Sometimes with careful cleanup to not destroy anything...some maginfication and good light shown at different angles to cast shadows or take them away might reveal some markings. Maybe a little wetness...or powder to change the surface sheen, etc...

Baring that I'd examine the rest of the engine for clues...part numbers on other parts, etc....

a picture of the motor would be helpful particularly if if it isthe original color. What year is the boat? Can you tell from transom scars if it original to the boat? are the motor innards painted white?

For OMC motors the year is baked into the Model #

According to the model # J90SLED it’s a 1996.

Thanks Ken,

I had tried to look it up using the INTRODUCES method. Who knew a google search was so easy!

Thanks again,

Rob

Back
Top Bottom