Tool ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kernr

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Europa
Good Morning everyone -

I need a little assistance from someone. I have come across a tool on this GB 47 that we purchased in Feb 2020. I keep looking at it trying to figure out its use. I have not looked carefully at windlass or bow thruster yet to see if it is related to either of those systems. Does someone know its use? See attached:

Bob
kernr

Attachments

• Special Tool 1.jpg
    Special Tool 1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 57
  • Special Tool 2.jpg
    Special Tool 2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 65
Greetings,
Mr. k. How big is it? Perhaps another picture with something common for scale. A dime/quarter maybe?

Tool

RT Firefly -

The minute I posted those photos I said to myself I should have laid a tape measure next to the tool. I would say the handle is about six inches long and the hex part of tool is probably 4 to 5 inches long. I will get another shot later today.

Bob

Hexagonal screwdriver with cross-grip for Allen screws below the surface or in a hard to reach spot. Indeed could be for windlass, thruster, fresh or raw water pump, toilets, automatic pilot motor-drive system, etc... You will find out the answer on the day when it will be manifestly needed :)

Greetings,
Mme. P. Good guess. "You will find out the answer on the day when it will be manifestly needed..." It's probably metric, as well. Almost impossible to find in some areas of the US.

Tension tool for port light hinges ??

I've seen "handles" like that as the "nut" side of a magma rail mount (such as for a barbecue or fish cleaning board), although not with a hex shank. So, not an answer but maybe a thought starting point. The angled handle does make it look like it would be some sort of wrench.

71%2BkpUTRq6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just a thought????? A tool for tightening the screws of shaft zincs. Not all use this size but many do.
I have something similar and have made other tools that the next owner will be scratching their head over.

Tool to remove replace bow thruster zinc?

It could have been but the propeller of GB standard built-in bow thruster is plastic made - at least on my boat - therefore no zinc needed.

It could have been but the propeller of GB standard built-in bow thruster is plastic made - at least on my boat - therefore no zinc needed.

Mine has a plastic prop too, but its zinc is to protect the metallic gear housing, not the prop. You might want to recheck yours.

Mine has a plastic prop too, but its zinc is to protect the metallic gear housing, not the prop. You might want to recheck yours.

Thanks ! Is yours the same ? Did you mean on your GB 42 or current boat ?

Attachments

• 6BE2D43C-AD98-4C34-AC66-73896B9494D6.jpg
    6BE2D43C-AD98-4C34-AC66-73896B9494D6.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 24
GB42 I had was twin screw and no BT. Current single screw boat has a Side Power BT with plastic prop and metallic gear case. Side Power specifies an anode (zinc) attached in the center of the prop with continuity to the gear hub via the center mounting screw.

Any ol' time, Pilou.

I seem to recall something similar on my EB47. and I'm drawing a blank on it... I want to say it's for a door part, like to adjust something... but not sure....

Tangentially, if you run across an 18-24" long piece and wonder it's purpose, and you have a Maxwell windlass, that $80 bar is designed to allow you to tighten/loosen the clutch on the windlass. A previous owner must've misplaced ours and I had to buy a new one.

Sure looks like its for a windlass. Too pretty to be a garbage disposal key. :D

Tool Application

wkearney99 -

We meet again. Thanks for responding. I think of all the responses you may be on to something tangible. The Starboard door next to the lower helm has two fixtures on the inside (one high & one low). I do not know their function but next time I am at the boat I'll take a close look.

The other suggestion are the bow thruster zincs - although I believe they are made out of aluminum. When I took mine off this year I used a regular hex tool screw driver I have. I will take a look here also.

I have attached two photos of the tool alongside a tape measure. For the benefit of the French I made sure it had CMs on it.

Thanks for all the inputs - I will continue to check this out and let all know what it is for when I figure it out.

Bob

Attachments

• Special Tool 3.jpg
    Special Tool 3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Special Tool 4.jpg
    Special Tool 4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
Tool ID Solved

Hi All -

Today was a good day. Finished replacing the Aftercoolers on the two C9s and figured out the tool ID.

The tool is used to put a tight seal on the Starboard lower helm door. Basically it turns a lever (pin) up into a door jam fixture and as you turn it the fixture slot that it engages tightens the door against the jam. Prevents sea water from getting into the people tank at the lower helm. There are two of these pins - one up high and a lower one on the door. Although the photos will be side wards - you will get the idea. The tool fits perfectly into the hex fitting with just enough room to clear the jam.

Thank you wkearney99 for the hint - now I owe you two drinks when we finally meet up.

Thanks everyone for your ideas,
Bob

Attachments

• Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21A.jpg
    Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21A.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21B.jpg
    Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21B.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21C.jpg
    Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21C.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21D.jpg
    Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21D.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21E.jpg
    Stbd Door Seal Levers and Tool 4-13-21E.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 15
YES, that's it. I knew I had one of these and there was a pilot-hole through a panel/door somewhere, but I completely forgot about the starboard door.

Tool ID Verified

All -

Just heard back from our friends at Grand Banks - Malaysia with the following one liner:

"This is to DOG down the Aritex side door on the GB boat to ensure water tightness in heavy weather."

They have been very helpful in providing GB information.

Thanks
Bob

Door lock

Good Morning everyone -

I need a little assistance from someone. I have come across a tool on this GB 47 that we purchased in Feb 2020. I keep looking at it trying to figure out its use. I have not looked carefully at windlass or bow thruster yet to see if it is related to either of those systems. Does someone know its use? See attached:

Bob
kernr

If you look on your side door from the inside you’ll see a hole, it locks the door to prevent key access or something like that. I think it also works to lock your floor hatch to the engine room if my memory is still working ( at least on our 47 Europa)

Mike

Don’t throw it away even though you would immediately find out what it was for if you do.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom