Think you know Grand Banks ? What about the Chantyman ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahoo 1

Think you know Grand Banks ? What about the Chantyman ?

Legacy in wood: Before the first Grand Banks, the 36', even before famous SPRAY, American Marine Ltd built the 35' Chantyman model at Hong Kong Junk Bay in the early 1960s. You an still find some of the original fleet cruising in ports and passages aroung the world, including Plowman, shown here in Puget Sound, WA.

Attachments

• CHANTY 1.jpg
    CHANTY 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 55
  • CHANTY 2.jpg
    CHANTY 2.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 68
  • CHANTY 3.jpg
    CHANTY 3.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 50
  • CHANTY 4.jpg
    CHANTY 4.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 61
  • CHANTY 7.jpg
    CHANTY 7.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 48
Thats a pretty boat but I like the more modern lines a bit better. I can't imagine owning a 60 year old woodie!!

pete

Pilou,

You have a great collection of GB/AM advertising materials, data sheets, and photos! I have always liked the "tough/stout" look of the Chantyman but had only ever seen it in one brochure. It's fun to see more of it.

Last edited:
The Chantyman is a very cool boat!

Pilou,

You have a great collection of GB/AM advertising materials, data sheets, and photos! I have always liked the "tough/stout" look of the Chantyman but had only ever seen it in one brochure. It's fun to see more of it.

Thank you Frosty,

Indeed we have thousands of docs and photos about American Marine Ltd's boats, yachts, events, live aboard, rendez-vous, also almost the whole collection in PDF and hardcover of American Marine News magazine & Spay magazine. We even have a announcement's card of the passing of Robert J. Newton, founder & President of American Marine Ltd company owner of Chantyman, Grand Banks, Alaskan, Laguna, Admiralty, Eastbay lines of yachts.

At the beguinning, Robert Newton owned and managed a soft drink bottling plant located in Mok Cheong Street of a village called "To Kwa Wan", Hong Kong.

In the 1950s, the soft drink business facing different difficult challenges, Robert Newton and his 2 sons John and Wit started a boat building shipyard located at his bottling plan's parking lot (!) on the side of Junk Bay. They called the company "American Marine Ltd".

Mok Cheong Street still exist, but the To Kwa Wan village is not a city anymore, it has been incorporated in Hong Kong. The area is located very near the former Kong Kai Tak Airport of Hong Kong, so-called one of the world's most dangerous airport. I trust that those who have visited Hong Kong before 1998 remember the old Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport, it was located in the urban area of Hong Kong where is full of high buildings and surrounded by mountains and water on 3 sides. These mountains made taking off and landing very difficult and impressive.

In late 1950s, Robert Newton and his sons built new buildings still on the sea side of Junk Bay where they built many custom motorboats and sailboats in which the Chantyman (motorboat), Admiralty (Motorsailer), 40' sailboat Sparkman and Stevens, then in 1963 the famous 36' Spray. In 1965/66, they started to build the first Grand Banks, a 36', with marine architect Kenneth Smith who had previously designed SPRAY. Then we know the history.

My father's husband travelled to Hong Kong right after he ordered his first Grand Banks, a 42' Classic hull # 52 which was the first or second GB 42 delivered in Europe, in mid 1968. My future husband who was 11 years old at that time, traveled with his father and got the chance to visit the American Marine Ltd's Junk Bay boatyard.

Among all the numerous pictures we have :
Pic #1 : Junk Bay boatyard at its beguinning.

Pics #2, 3, 4 : Chantyman.

Pic #5 : One of the first GB 36' built.

Pic #6 from left to right :
- Joseph Kong, production manager. When American Marine Ltd stopped building wooden boats and closed the Hong Kong Junk Bay boatyard to build fiberglass yachts in Singapore, Mr Kong teamed up with Harvey Halvorsen to create "Kong & Halvorsen Marine & Engineering Company, Ltd" which build boats under the "Kong & Halvorsen" and "Island Gypsy" brand names.
- Robert J Newton,
- Tony Fleming, technical director, who later created Fleming Yachts. Tony Fleming have "the skills of an engineer and the eye of an artist". He started his boatbuilding career with American Marine in Hong Kong first building wooden boats and then in fiberglass. It's Tony Fleming himself who designed and created the Grand Banks 42' Motoryacht.

Pics #7 & #8 : "To Kwa Wan" area to date, where the Grand Banks story started.

Pic #9 : Senator Ted Kennedy aboard a Laguna 38'. In 1972 American Marine Ltd produced in Singapore boatyard the Laguna line, a flush-deck highspeed boat reflecting the popular lines in Europe, powered by twin turbo 637 V8 diesels. On the pic, Phil Harill of Ammarine Ltd, Sausalito, CA, hosted Senator Ted Kennedy aboard a Laguna 38'. Ted Kennedy cruised across San Francisco Bay, from Tiberon to Oakland aboard the Laguna, to attend a football game.

Attachments

• JUNK BAY HK.jpg
    JUNK BAY HK.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 36
  • CHANTY 10.jpg
    CHANTY 10.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 44
  • CHANTY 13.jpg
    CHANTY 13.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 34
  • CHANTY PLOWMAN.jpg
    CHANTY PLOWMAN.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 34
  • GB 36.jpg
    GB 36.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 40
  • ROBERT NEWTON TONY FLEMING KONG.jpg
    ROBERT NEWTON TONY FLEMING KONG.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7112.jpg
    IMG_7112.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7113.jpg
    IMG_7113.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 37
  • TED KENNEDY.jpg
    TED KENNEDY.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Chanty is not doing it for me.

You can add me to the list. Proportions are all wrong to me. Truly in the eye of the beholder......
I am guessing that the wings behind the pilothouse are there as a band-aid to offset the too-tall pilothouse and keep it from looking like a phone booth.

Last edited:
Really neat, Pilou. I can see your family has GB memories going way back.

Coincidentally, I'm about a quarter of the way into Tony Fleming's memoir*. He's in Kenya and not with American Marine yet - but I'm looking forward to that part.

*Riding The Tide: Art, Engineering and a Thirst For Adventure

I'll settle for my 53 year old '68 GB 32 woodie. Best boat I've ever owned and you know what?, wooden boats never have blisters!

I'll settle for my 53 year old '68 GB 32 woodie. Best boat I've ever owned and you know what?, wooden boats never have blisters!

No, but they do have rot. So each boat type has it benefits and downfalls. To each their own.

Congratulations to you and your boat.

Photos below :

- Grand Banks 32 hull # 001 the very first one built in American Marine’s Hong Kong boatyard.

- Grand Banks 32 hull # 858 reportedly the very last one built in American Marine's Singapore boatyard.
In fact 861 Grand Banks 32 have been built including 3 commercial version nicknamed “Husky”.

- How a Grand Banks 32’ took advantage of high tide in Northern British Columbia :)

Attachments

• A1041873-779A-430C-BFF3-6B845D4B3CB5.jpg
    A1041873-779A-430C-BFF3-6B845D4B3CB5.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 31
  • 2D4DD9CD-7358-45E9-AF09-0DB41FD4D86E.jpeg
    2D4DD9CD-7358-45E9-AF09-0DB41FD4D86E.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 25
  • E605F137-6127-48C6-80AA-C588A0855DD1.jpg
    E605F137-6127-48C6-80AA-C588A0855DD1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 24
  • E67D5843-0850-4EF3-A8C6-0F7E7BEABCD2.jpg
    E67D5843-0850-4EF3-A8C6-0F7E7BEABCD2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 23
  • 0D49E9CB-C984-4F76-BD89-C10063D5876D.jpg
    0D49E9CB-C984-4F76-BD89-C10063D5876D.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 23
  • ECC9AD50-9390-4D18-8952-B595040EF8E0.jpg
    ECC9AD50-9390-4D18-8952-B595040EF8E0.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 9003F995-F39D-4773-8DCA-187E0D65B896.jpg
    9003F995-F39D-4773-8DCA-187E0D65B896.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 38
I had GB 42-125 which was built for Robert & Mildred Newton, founders of American Marine Ltd. And she is a fine boat still.

A couple of years ago, I downloaded everything I could find to learn more about my new-to-me 1977 Grand Banks 32. The old Grand Banks website is now gone. Do you have your material online somewhere? I have a website and could build a section for Grand Banks if that would be useful to the group.
-- Tom Dove

I have a website and could build a section for Grand Banks if that would be useful to the group.

That would be amazing (and I'm only in the shopping stage). I had read many threads on the old GB forum and am now kicking myself that I didn't try to save some of the info. It's a huge loss, IMO.

Frosty

A couple of years ago, I downloaded everything I could find to learn more about my new-to-me 1977 Grand Banks 32. The old Grand Banks website is now gone. Do you have your material online somewhere? I have a website and could build a section for Grand Banks if that would be useful to the group.
-- Tom Dove

Hi Tom

Last January I kindly donated copies of the whole set of my American Marine magazines & Spray magazines in PDF format (for a total of 85 magazines) to TF member "Kurplunk" who introduced the thought to build a ressource about Grand Banks boats in the thread on TF, post #42/43:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s15/grand-banks-forum-50512-3.html

Sorry I don't have my material on line, I have too many documents.
Perhaps you should contact Steven (Kurplunk) by PM or by email grandbankspreserve@gmail.com
to join together to combine your resources.

Last edited:
-- Tom Dove

Tom,
This forum has a sub forum for Grand Banks. Why not upload to here?

There is a thread for those with a GB to check in once to do a member count. That alone could be a sticky.
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s15/gb-roll-call-4920.html

I had GB 42-125 which was built for Robert & Mildred Newton, founders of American Marine Ltd. And she is a fine boat still.

I have somewhere black & white photos of your Grand Banks 42' Classic when Robert Newton took delivery.

Last edited:
The link you posted is still pointing to a old post of my husband who is not an active member anymore.

Check your PM.

Pilou

In my Marinia in WI there was an old wooden boat kept under a tarp for years. It was said to be the first Grand Banks. I looked under the tarp and she seemed smaller and not shaped like a GB. Teak on teak. It was hard to see under the tarp. The owner contacted Grand Banks to try to sell it to them. They were not interested. Eventually he sold it to someone out east, maybe Maine for restoration. The Marina called it Spray. Do you know if this is possible?

Last edited:
Pilou

In my Marinia in WI there was an old wooden boat kept under a tarp for years. It was said to be the first Grand Banks. I looked under the tarp and she seemed smaller and not shaped like a GB. Teak on teak. It was hard to see under the tarp. The owner contacted Grand Banks to try to sell it to them. They were not interested. Eventually he sold it to someone out east, maybe Maine for restoration. The Marina called it Spray. Do you know if this is possible?

Hi Greatlaker221,

Do you mean at a marina in Kenosha, WI in 2008 / 2009 ? Yes it was Spray, so-called the prototype of Grand Banks trawlers or the GB 36-01.

Indeed from 2008 to mid 2009, Spray was on the hard in Kenosha, WI, put on sale by her owners Donald and Wendy Moeller from DesPlaines, IL who bought Spray in 1997 from Philip and Marcella Faustman of Kalamazoo, MI.

At the time Philip and Marcella Faustman owned Spray, she was shipped to American Marine Ltd boatyard, 26 Jalan Terusan, Singapore where she has undergone a refit. In March 1986 I went to American Marine Ltd boatyard in Singapore to order some optional customized interior layout during the construction process of our new Grand Banks 42' Classic. There I took the opportunity to see Spray moored at the American Marine Ltd facility. I took photos of Spray when I was there. I may post the photos when I could make time to find and scan them.

In 2009 David Towle and his wife Bettie bought Spray (on the yard in Kenosha) from Donald and Wendy Moeller. Spray was transported by truck to Bar Harbor, Maine, where she arrived on July 13, 2009. David made an amazing full restoration of Spray of at least 3 years.

Unlike what many members of TF may think, Spray, that was designed by the New England architect Kenneth L. Smith from Fairfield, CT, was not built at American Marine Ltd boat yard in Junk Bay, Hong Kong. Spray was built in 1962 / 1963 at the Wharton Shipyard in Jamestown, RI, USA, which is now the Jamestown Boatyard. Spray was powered by a single engine Caterpillar series H rated at 270 HP with Twin Disk reduction gears.

Photos below :
- Spray in 2009.
- Wharton Shipyard in Jamestown, RI, where Spray was built in 1963.
- Spray in Yachting Magazine, 1963.
- Spray in Maine fully restored by David and Bettie.

Attachments

• Image51.jpg
    Image51.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Image53.jpg
    Image53.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Image55.jpg
    Image55.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Image49.jpg
    Image49.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SPRAY DESIGN.jpg
    SPRAY DESIGN.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
At the time Robert Newton and his sons built custom yachts long before the Grand Banks line, one of the most luxurious boat built at American Marine Ltd boatyard, Junk Bay, Hong Kong, was the 65-foot "Carolyn Quincy" AKA "Francis Marion".

Built in 1963, Carolyn Quincy was made to the order of a wealthy American, Philip L Van Every, who was Chief Executive of Lance Inc. and Mayor of Charlotte, NC. Carolyn was one of Van Every’s four daughters.

With a mahogany and teak hull, a deep freeze, water distillation plant, electric -powered lavatories and carpeted lounge, the launch was powered by two diesel engines and could cruise at 10½ knots.

It was designed by Walter J McInnis of Eldredge-McInnis, Inc. Boston, MA. He maintained the firm and continued a very active design practice until his retirement in 1976 at the age of 83.

Every owned the boat fom 1963 to 1968 when its name was changed to the Francis Marion. It was then sold to Anthony J Sposato.

The bent port shaft was was repaired in 1977. In 1980 a Cal-Rod heater was added and a bow plate for the anchor in the 1980s. And later larger steadying sails and a washer and dryer. A 13′ Boston Whaler was her tender until 1980, then replaced by a 10′ antique lapstrake Inboard Captain Tender, and then changed again in 1995 to a 14′ inflatable.

The Francis Marion was later donated by Michael Phillips, who owned the boat from 2000 to 2014, to Mystic Seaport, Connecticut, USA. Restoration work was done from 2000 to 2003.

(Courtesy Thomas Sposato. Thomas is the son of one of the boat’s previous owners, Anthony J Sposato.)

Photos below :
- Carolyn Quincy, 1968 “Motor Boating & Yachting”.
- December 5, 2010, completely restored Eldridge Mcginnis named the Francis Marion. Courtesy the Smith Family.

PS : Elusive and crafty, Brigadier General Francis Marion (1732-1795) outwitted British troops during the American Revolution. In 1790, Marion helped write the South Carolina state constitution.

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Image71.jpg
    Image71.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 8
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 9
  • FRANCIS MARION.jpg
    FRANCIS MARION.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Francis Marion is a beautiful boat. Here's a quick cell phone snap of her in Oswego, NY a couple years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_184939.jpg
    IMG_20190804_184939.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 9
We have a 1970 Alaskan, hull#28. We love her dearly. I will try and send a recent article on her.

Pilou
This is such wonderful history. Thank you so much for taking the time. Who would of thought that the original was built in my back yard....Jamestown RI? The Wharton family has / had a large presence in Jamestown. A little history https://whatsupnewp.com/2016/05/historic-jamestown-home-owned-joseph-wharton-hit-market/

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the link.

Yes, Spray, the ancestor of a long line of Grand Banks yachts, was designed and conceived in Connecticut, and born in your "backyard" :) , in Jamestown, Rhode Island.

Indeed who would have thought ?

Francis Marion is a beautiful boat. Here's a quick cell phone snap of her in Oswego, NY a couple years ago.

Thank you Rslifkin for the great pic. I have been many times in Connecticut but never yet at Mystic Seaport Museum. Next time, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom