On the BC Coast with my new Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilly

Vessel Name
Eliza James
Vessel Make
1978 CHB
Hi Everyone,

Excited to be on the beautiful BC Coast with my new (new to me) 1978 CHB trawler.
Been enjoying and learning from so many excellent posts.

Cheers Chilly:pirate:

Welcome aboard, eh! from a wee bit upcoast :thumb:

Thanks Murray,
I plan to get up your way once a get a little more experience on our wonderful coast:)

Thanks Murray,
I plan to get up your way once a get a little more experience on our wonderful coast:)

That may take a while - there is so much to see right here in our own back yard!

Those of us stuck below 49N are put off by all this gloating. :D

I'm in Calgary too! Unfortunately only part time on the coast:socool:
That may take a while - there is so much to see right here in our own back yard!

I see you were being pulled or returned to the water at Gibsons Marina.
Congratulations and hope you enjoy the new boat.

AP-whos gloating give it a break
Will

I'm in Calgary too! Unfortunately only part time on the coast:socool:

There are a number of us here - slowly taking over!

Hopefully see you out on the water sometime!

Welcome to TF.

Maybe we can cruise and party with our Canadian friends next summer.

Thanks Murray,

*HELPFUL TIP*

Come later in the year...it's snowing here today :eek:

Murray, does Kitimat harbor where you keep your boat get sea ice during the winter?

Murray, does Kitimat harbor where you keep your boat get sea ice during the winter?

Gets to about -20C (-4F) here for a couple weeks about twice a winter.

The harbour and main channels don't freeze, but in bays with creeks fresh water that floats on top of the salt water freezes. Our boat is on an outer finger in the marina and never sees ice, but boats closer to shore get frozen in every year.

It's a weird place weather wise. Lots of marine weather marches up the channels from open water 90 miles away as the crow flies (there ferns growing in the moss growing on the branches of trees) while cold air from inland flows down the valley during cold snaps and from the surrounding mountains.

Kitamaat means People of the Snow in the local Haisla First Nations language, so it's had a bit of a reputation for thousands of years.

I've seen mushrooms and slugs in January, maples turning red in July, and snow in the fields around town for six months without melting. There is no such thing as 'normal' weather here.

Last edited:
Gets to about -20C (-4F) here for a couple weeks about twice a winter.

The harbour and main channels don't freeze, but in bays with creeks fresh water that floats on top of the salt water freezes. Our boat is on an outer finger in the marina and never sees ice, but boats closer to shore get frozen in every year.

It's a weird place weather wise. Lots of marine weather marches up the channels from open water 90 miles away as the crow flies (there ferns growing in the moss growing on the branches of trees) while cold air from inland flows down the valley during cold snaps and from the surrounding mountains.

Kitamaat means People of the Snow in the local Haisla First Nations language, so it's had a bit of a reputation for thousands of years.

I've seen mushrooms and slugs in January, maples turning red in July, and snow in the fields around town for six months without melting. There is no such thing as 'normal' weather here.

Biting my tongue on "Normal" comment:D:D:lol::flowers:

Seems like a interesting place, I've been up to Langara fishing a couple of times but I hear that the fishing is pretty good around Kitimat too?

I plan to cruise over to Campbell River to do some fishing this year if all goes well with the boat?

Looking forward to a party that's for sure!

Seems like a interesting place, I've been up to Langara fishing a couple of times but I hear that the fishing is pretty good around Kitimat too?

I'm not into fishing, but lots of people are. Mere shadow of it's former self limping along due to the hatchery, but still good compared to most areas.

The valley got pretty much logged out in a few decades, so there were no fully mature spruce flats to control the river. It's been meandering around the valley floor ever since, chewing its way through new ground and depositing sediment into whatever old spawning channels remain.

The whole Douglas Channel system is huge though, with lots of other salmon rivers and streams, some of which are in pristine untouched valleys.

I'll know everything is back to normal when the oolichan come back to the Kitimat River. The valley floor is starting to bounce back...lots of grizzly bears again!

Murray how many days do you think it would it take to get from Gibsons to Kitimat in an old trawler like mine at 7 knots?

Murray how many days do you think it would it take to get from Gibsons to Kitimat in an old trawler like mine at 7 knots?

in 2019 I helped a friend move a 37' boat from Saltspring Island to Kitimat. Being a delivery trip, some extra days were allowed for bad weather. We had good weather, so were able to do a little exploring, including a side trip to the Fjordland area, but our budget days proved just right.
14 days all in.

There are a number of us here - slowly taking over!

Hopefully see you out on the water sometime!
Conrad, I have a son with 2 kids in the Cowichan Valley 20 min. from Duncan so we plan to be over on your side quite a bit.

I plan to cruise over to Campbell River to do some fishing this year if all goes well with the boat?

And the DFO...

Another non-retention salmon year from April 1st to early Summer, at least.

Welcome!

We've only been as far south as Calvert Island just north of Cape Caution, so looks like koliver has the answer for you.

All depends on weather and your running vs exploration/anchoring times.

Last edited:
Hi Chilly,
Welcome to the forum from across the Salish Sea. The places to go and explore on the BC coast that are within the capabilities of your boat, once you are properly prepared, are practically endless. Enjoy all that your boat and the area has to offer.
Who knows, we may even allow our American friends to come back too. :) Just kidding Tom (ASD).

Back
Top Bottom