Yacht transport ship in trouble off Norway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Odd how the crew jumped off so quickly. It will be interesting to how the decision to abandon ship was made. It appears the vessel was still under propulsion after the last man jumped off.

Wow, those videos embedded in the G Captain article are amazing. Felt like I was there. The CG personnel who do those Helo rescues are major league bad asses.

Is there a good reason they didn't use their own lifeboat?

The report I read said the shop was listing. With the deck load I’m not sure I’d hang around. The ship is pretty new at 2015.

Seems a bit early to abandon ship. God Bless the rescue crew.

pete

I’m surprised that the ship doesn’t have a way to trim (water ballast?) the list. Good work by CG!

Seems a bit early to abandon ship.

Watching this video of the crew being lifted off (and one apparently had to jump in the water) it didn't look too early to me! You can really see the boat's situation at the end of the (short) video.

Reportedly cargo in the hold shifted and hull was breached allowing water into the hold. Initially 8 crew taken off but situation deteriorated and remaining 4 evacuated. In weather and seas like that, better helicopter winch than a lifeboat that will bob around like a cork. attached video appears to show the hole in the hull.

Reportedly cargo in the hold shifted and hull was breached allowing water into the hold. Initially 8 crew taken off but situation deteriorated and remaining 4 evacuated. In weather and seas like that, better helicopter winch than a lifeboat that will bob around like a cork. attached video appears to show the hole in the hull. QUOTE]

Pretty sure all transfers in heavy sea are considered high risk maneuvers including helicopter hoisting.

Luckily it was daytime and clear for the hoists I watched.

Night and bad vis and its a different ballgame.

Smits now has a crew on board and cables from the ship to ocean going tugs. It is interesting that they have put people back aboard after the crew & captain abandoned ship :)

Most vessels are more seaworthy than their crew.

Smits now has a crew on board and cables from the ship to ocean going tugs. It is interesting that they have put people back aboard after the crew & captain abandoned ship :)

I'd bet they have a little better handle on the stability situation, how to manage it and how to get the crew back off if needed. The original crew was likely concerned that if the situation degraded further, they may lose the ability to depart the ship safely.

It's just a boat and just carrying "stuff." We each only have ONE LIFE. Cargo and ship are totally expendable and disposable - and replaceable. The crew may be less seaworthy that the ship. So what. I'm so glad their lives were saved.

That's why salvage companies/crews stand to make a lot of money on a salvage. Risk to life, limb and equipment means salvage rates over just time and materials for "assists".

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 40
So it lost some of the cargo? In the second video it looks like two in the middle are gone? Did those break loose and sink, or are they afloat?

At least one is afloat, it is a brand new large steel workboat being delivered from the builder. Worth north of 6M Euros.

The spectacle of the green tug going over the side would have been very interesting to see. Too bad no one was videoing it.
It's great to see this didn't end up as a pollution disaster off Norway, kudos to SMIT.....again.

God damn. That's crazy. What is the cargo below deck? What shifted?? Doesn't seem like much weight on deck for a vessel of that size

While this is absolutely true, I wonder if the sea conditions have changed for the better?

Jim

The owner of the ship reported on the Dutch news (RTL) that a large brand new fishing vessel went overboard after it broke al of its tie down cables. He also mentioned that the dockworkers that were to have secured the cargo below decks likely messed up which caused the shift and the subsequent listing.

Sounds like the crew just had no faith in equipment or capstan. No mention of extreme circumstances to cause problems.
What else is left but defective equipment or human error?
If I signed up for a standard job and things started to go very wrong because of bad equipment or bad judgment I would be ready to get off the boat. Doubt they recieved hazard pay or hazard training unlike the salvage crew that are getting hazard pay and probably received hazard training.

Here's and interesting scenario...
The captain and the crew bail. Ok, now the vessel is an abandon ship. Now suppose I board the ship, get it operational
again, it floats, and is considered seaworthy.
Can I now claim salvage rights? I mean total salvage rights ...
vessell and all the yachts and other property the ship is
carrying? :thumb:

Here's and interesting scenario...
The captain and the crew bail. Ok, now the vessel is an abandon ship. Now suppose I board the ship, get it operational
again, it floats, and is considered seaworthy.
Can I now claim salvage rights? I mean total salvage rights ...
vessel and all the yachts and other property the ship is
carrying? :thumb:

It is up to the arbitration team to determine the value of what you saved versus your expenses and risks.

Ihave been on that ship. It carried my President 385 Sundeck from Split to Amsterdam. Very odd to see the ship in this condition. Happy the crew is saved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom