To Vacuflush or not...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"However, the idea that they only us a cup or so of water is not exactly true. You have to put more down with 'solid' matter. Therefore they're not a cure all for a small holding tank. As for how the system works, I do like it."

To use the least amount of water remember Gravity is your friend.

The [FONT=&quot] the Dometic/SeaLand 975 MSD [/FONT][FONT=&quot]SeaLand SaniPottie 975 MSD uses gravity to move the solid stuff as does every RV toilet that is properly installed .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IF only the boat assemblers understood the concept we could do away with complex, expensive maint requiring waste systems.
[/FONT]

A vacyflush system indeed is complex, expensive maintain, and, I will add, breaks down comparatively more often. A Marine Elegance macerating head is none of those.
"However, the idea that they only us a cup or so of water is not exactly true. You have to put more down with 'solid' matter. Therefore they're not a cure all for a small holding tank. As for how the system works, I do like it."

To use the least amount of water remember Gravity is your friend.

The [FONT=&quot] the Dometic/SeaLand 975 MSD [/FONT][FONT=&quot]SeaLand SaniPottie 975 MSD uses gravity to move the solid stuff as does every RV toilet that is properly installed .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IF only the boat assemblers understood the concept we could do away with complex, expensive maint requiring waste systems.
[/FONT]

OP, do you have room for an electrosan treatment system?? Then you could just pump overboard. You might even save some money.
The OP's location is shown as Tacoma WA. Currently waste treated by type 1 and type II systems are restricted through the Puget Sound-wide NDZ designation. Several organizations have been pushing back on the region wide NDZ with the Recreational Boating Association of Washington (RBAW) recently asked to provide comment for a lawsuit filed by the American Waterway Operators (AWO):

https://rbaw.org/resources/Documents/Legislative/EPAcommentsNDZ - Final - 1-27-2021.pdf

-tozz

Peggy we lived as full time and occasional guests with a elegance and a second manual head (rarely used). No troubles as ran RO for the heads so never any treatments. When in New England simply went offshore often enough that didn’t use pumpout stations either.

Still, surprised by you’re failing to mention incinerating toilets on this thread. Like to know your take on them. Unlike sailboats many long range powerboats don’t have the same need for a strict electrical energy budget. There are several vendors of these devices with a long track record of using them in small off grid cabins, RVs and commercial fish boats. Do you think they’re a viable option for recreational trawlers?

Incinolet - I N C I N O L E T - seems to be the only one that actively promotes their toilets. Note that it needs 120 or 240 volt ac power and I'd take hard look at installation, use and maintenance instructions Incinolet owners manual and then decide if you think it's suitable for recreational boats.

--Peggie

Did check that out.
For a full cycle takes 1 1/2 to 2 kw over 75 minutes. Can have multiple donations during a cycle. Given gastrocolic reflex in most people perhaps two maybe three cycles would be necessary in a day. Even when not underway or having the genset on many carbon or lithium banks could handle that draw. Seems electrical requirements would be within limits of many larger craft. Would think there could be an issue with combustion stack in multilevel vessels but commonly the heads aren’t under the pilot house so possibly not a no go situation for all.
I obviously have no experience with one and wondering if you do and what’s your take on them. We’ve been fortunate with our lifestyle not impeded by no dumping zones to date. So interest is academic for us. Still, truly enjoy you insights and you’re definitely the guru.

Last edited:
I've had no hands-on experience with them, only occasional reports from owners who've claimed to love it, and a couple of marina managers and others who've had to live downwind of the stack who didn't.

I do know there's a common misconception among people who've only heard about incinerating toilets that each "flush" is instantly reduced to ash in a "whoosh" of heat...when in fact the burn can take several hours and still leave un-cremated solid waste. And I know that the key to odorless--or at least greatly reduced odor--is frequent cleaning of the catalytic converter in the stack.

All of which should explain why I leave the decision whether to install one on a recreational vessel up to those who are considering it.

Thanks for the kind words!

--Peggie

We’ve been fortunate with our lifestyle not impeded by no dumping zones to date.

Even inshore, needing to get pumped out isn't a big deal. Just have to size the tank so it's not an annoyingly frequent occurrence. Unless you're staying put for long periods of time in an area without a pumpout boat, if you can go 1 - 2 weeks between pumpouts, you'll usually have a convenient opportunity before the tank is full.

When in Rhode Island we buy a sticker. They give us a flag. If we want a pump out would put out the flag. They would see the flag and they would come by and do it. We don’t even need to be there. The ultimate in convenience. But if we go just about anywhere at some point we’re well outside 3 miles. So haven’t had the need to pump out. Last boat had two 50g holding tanks. Did pump out a few times. Would fill tanks 1/2 full with fresh water and go out on a bumpy day. Idea was to agitate the sludge off the bottom and prevent future troubles. Then come back to the pier with the pump out on it and immediately pump our boat out. Don’t know if that was worthwhile but seemed like a good thing to do periodically. When in a slip never thought it much of an issue to walk to the marina’s bathroom.
When in the Caribbean this issue doesn’t exist. Out of curtesy never left the through hulls open and only used our heads for showers or the sink when in a slip. You pay for water and you don’t want to run your watermaker as there may be fuel or oil in the water.

Last edited:
I've used an incinolet at a family camp where sewer wasn't nearby and septic wasn't an option. It was more trouble than it was worth. The exhaust. Training the males how to use it. Cleaning and repairing. Concerns about the 75 minute burn if no one is around to keep an eye on it. I can't imagine managing one on a boat.

Thanks PB makes sense. I was just wondering why you don’t see them as rules get more restrictive. Now I know.

Maintenance

Recent post on adding water to the holding tank and letting the cruise clean out the tank makes sense. With limited tank capacity, when we pump out, we put a couple of gallons of hot water in the tank, and pump that out. At the end of every cruise we put a cup of olive oil down the Vaccu-Flush, then leave about a quarter cup in the bowl (which “grows stuff”, but keeps the valve from drying out). Simple and problem free for the last three years, and I feel these steps keep the VF fairly clean and lubed.

I have installed two Masterflush 8140 toilets. They work great require only a 20 amp 12 vdc source and us little water if you are careful. They replaced two Head Hunter Royal Flush toilets which worked great flushing, but use about 2 gallons per flush and need a bank (3) of 8 gallon accumulators to maintain pressure when flushing (1 inch supply lines). The old toilet would fill the 35 and 45 gallon holding tanks in 3 to 5 days with 2 people, with the new masterflush it is several weeks. Did not consider the Vacflush due space considerations. The Techma which I underworks great, needs a 40 amp circuit which would have required new electrical runs --- so did not consider.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom