Happy New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hudson Bill

Vessel Name
Resolute
Vessel Make
28’Cape Dory bridge
Hello,I’m a new guy to this forum and still navigating my way thru. I live in Hudson Fl but came from Bellport L I. Longtime Sailor but too old and too many injuries so sold my 31 Island Packet and bought a nice 28’ Cape Dory Flybridge Downeaster that was in Conn. She will probably be named Resolute and I will take her to Fl. Later in the year. Will be wanting to install the following: bow spirit and windlass; dinghy Davits or alternate way to carry 9’ inflatable; a lifting pole and arm to hoist a small outboard motor.
Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Oh I forgot the prior owner removed the swim platform in favor of a ladder, support bolts still there and I would like to return a swim platform.
Again I would like and greatly appreciate any and all help. Happy to be a member of this great group of Mariners. Hudson Bill

You can overload and unbalance a 29 foot boat. Go slowly and think things through.

Welcome Aboard,

pete

If you are older - I am 73 - you might like the Seawise davits that has your motor permanently on a bracket. The motor is brought up and off the dinghy when raised and down and on the transom when lowered. You need a swim platform for these davits which can be manual or electric. Some use a cordless drill to raise and lower the dinghy with the turn handle (manual).

I replaced my swim platform from roughly 14 inches to 18 inches. Extra brackets - went from 3 to 5 - to reinforce the platform so it could take the dinghy/davits and handle the stress. A local aluminum manufacture made the brackets for me.

Seawise davit system:

Something like a Highfield 9 1/2 RIB will fit nicely on your boat, I have something like that with a 10 foot beam, your beam is one inch shorter so its nice to have a bit more length with your dinghy if you can do it.

Last edited:
+1 on the SeaWise davit system. We put one on a previous boat and loved it. Will probably put one on the next boat too.

Back
Top Bottom