Cutlass Bearing on Marine Trader 34' 1974

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianaderer

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trade Dual Cabin 34
Hello All
I have the driveshaft out right now and getting a new seal and driveshaft put in. I know my cutlass bearing is worn and floppy, I'd really like to get it done now if I can. The mechanic here said he needs to pull the whole flange and log out and he says he thinks the fiberglass is going to crack when he does this. I don't think he has a ton of experience working on these older boats, I can't imagine this fiberglass tank-hull cracking like that. I've read around the forums a bit and it sounds like it can be pulled without even removing the driveshaft potentially, even though it's out already. Does anyone have experience with the older marine trader models doing this job? I have a Ford-Lehmen 120 single engine. I'm in Northern New Jersey, Oceanport, if anyone can recommend someone that knows what they are doing this this, I'm happy to pay a reasonable invoice to get it checked off while I have the boat on the hard.

Thanks, Brian

Is your cutless in a bearing flange like this?

If so, you can remove the cutless without removing the flange, but I think you need the shaft out.

Cutless bearings in struts with access to both sides can be replaced without pulling the shaft.

Attachments

• Rope-Shield-_-RS-Series-1.jpg
    Rope-Shield-_-RS-Series-1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
Is your cutless in a bearing flange like this?

If so, you can remove the cutless without removing the flange, but I think you need the shaft out.

Cutless bearings in struts with access to both sides can be replaced without pulling the shaft.

Hi - yes that's exactly what the flange looks like. The driveshaft is currently out, but the yard here doesn't know how to do this without taking the whole flange off and log out.

I used a metal cutting sawzall to cut the bearing in at least two places. It can then be caved in on itself. Not really that big of a job.

pete

I used a metal cutting sawzall to cut the bearing in at least two places. It can then be caved in on itself. Not really that big of a job.

pete

Hi Pete
Thanks - yes I've heard that from a couple of people now.. Does the bearing extend up into the tube inside the boat, or is it just housed inside this flange?
wANzBRzFo68ewrsE9

R7qwB9icgdxgX9vYA

hopefully pictures attached

Attachments

• 20210403_163946.jpg
    20210403_163946.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210403_163940.jpg
    20210403_163940.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
Cutting it and then sort of curling it in on itself is probably the easiest way to get it out. Looks like there is a set screw in the side that should come out.

Cutting it and then sort of curling it in on itself is probably the easiest way to get it out. Looks like there is a set screw in the side that should come out.

Ok great - got the yard here to sign on to that plan. seems pretty straightforward, so long as they can get the new one in ok

They can use all-thread to press the new one in.

They can use all-thread to press the new one in.

Makes sense. I'll suggest that if he seems to be having difficulty. At first he just assumed it went all the way up into that sleeve in the keel and he would have to rip it out, which is clearly not the case when you look at it..

It may take a long piece of all-thread to reach but it will work. And with a bit more control than just banging on it...

It may take a long piece of all-thread to reach but it will work. And with a bit more control than just banging on it...

What do you brace the all-thread to on the keel side when you are installing it?

You put a piece of all-thread all the way through like the prop shaft. Then put the new cutlass bearing on the all-thread. Put a plate or big washers on the all-thread and then nuts. As you tighten the nuts the bearing will be forced or pressed into the fitting.

You put a piece of all-thread all the way through like the prop shaft. Then put the new cutlass bearing on the all-thread. Put a plate or big washers on the all-thread and then nuts. As you tighten the nuts the bearing will be forced or pressed into the fitting.

oh wow ALLL the way like up from the cabin Ok i get it :) thx

An old boatyard trick is to freeze the bearing before sliding it into place.

Back
Top Bottom