winter moorage in Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that was a friendly greeting gesture?!?

Lol could be true...but then there may be prove the vikings or Templers settled the area before the Russians.

Last edited:
Laurie,

Feel free to email me at CruisingSeaVenture@gmail.com

We cruised up last summer and stayed the winter, with our base in Wrangell. We have continued to cruise throughout the winter. I'm happy to share what we have learned about the different ports, the winter weather in each, and the availability of winter moorage.

Lots of details to cover, but generally, for a boat your size, Wrangell is probably going to be your best best. Also, Wrangell has a milder, less windy winter than other SE locations. You mentioned water in your post - the water is not turned off in Wrangell during the winter.

Anyway, feel free to reach out if you would like to connect up and go over items in detail.

Jim
M/V Sea Venture
www.CruisingSeaVenture.com

ASD wrote;
Lol could be true...but then there may be prove the vikings or Templers settled the area before the Russians.

Naaaw .. the Russians were just camping with logs.

I am almost through wintering in Ketchikan (it's still very wintery here, snow yesterday and maybe more today too). A must have is a 50amp capable isolation transformer. I have a kick up type which gives me good clean 230 vac at 50 amps , no matter what I'm plugged into. Also necessary are decent dehumidifiers. I use a couple of smaller ones, one in the forward area, and one in the aft cabin. Keeps humidity between 22% and 35%. My primary furnace is a Webasto 80,000 BTU hydronic with 14 stations in 6 zones including the enclosed flying bridge.
It keeps the boat 68-70 degrees F. Been a pretty pleasant winter, below on Caroline. A bit stormy at times but definitely doable.

ASD wrote;

Naaaw .. the Russians were just camping with logs.
Now that is funny....

Here is a summary of our recent search for permanent reserved moorage in Southeast Alaska, for 45' and 30 amp power. I hope this helps others who may be searching. Of course you should contact the harbors directly for the latest info.

Juneau: Not contacted.

Petersburg: Permanent slips available immediately.

Sitka: No permanent slips available, 7-9 year waiting list. Open moorage is available.

Ketchikan: No permanent slips available, 3-5 year waiting list. Open moorage is available.

Wrangell: Three permanent slips available immediately, two in Heritage Harbor one in Shoemaker harbor.

Is I understand it, "Open Moorage" means you have a place to dock, but it may not be the same place each time you return to the marina. Also in open moorage electricity rates are per day you are plugged in. Open moorage electricity is very expensive for long term use (>$200 per month). You will find this is offset by the very affordable moorage rates at all marinas. With permanent reserved moorage the electricity is based on actual consumption and is very reasonable.

All of the harbor personnel were friendly, and provided prompt and complete responses to my questions.

PS: We chose Wrangell.

Back
Top Bottom