1974 GB 53 Alaskan pilothouse conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdoering

This is a 1974 wood 53 Grand Banks Alaskan. The pilothouse has a bench seat with the small Captains quarters aft of a bulkhead with sliding window(single berth, desk and sink). Does anyone have advice on converting this to a larger open area surrounding a table?

Best way to start will be with some pics of what you have......LOTS of good advice available here, but every one of them will want to see pics first. Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

Gb 53

Here are photos. The bulkhead between the pilothouse bench seat and the Captain's cabin has a sliding window opening between them. The Captain's quarters has an aft athwartship berth, port side counter and sink. There is a pilothouse ladder to the bridge making the conversion to a table with seating awkward.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 99
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 110
Well there aren't a bunch of options, it's a pretty small space. The Skipper's bunk is over the galley so you can't move that, just leave it alone. Remove the wall with the window and the vanity/sink in the captains cabin and build a new raised seat with table. As the Grand Banks drawing below.....

A55arrang.jpg

Alaskan 55

Dear Tad , very much interested in your 2015 post with the Alaskan 55 original drawings, I'm now buying a A 55 from 70/71 and looking for maximum info about the ship that's why I've subscribed to your forum. If you have more layout of these models I would be pleased to have one copy. Very best rgds.
Norbert

Thanks a lot for your welcome, I'm sorry but I didn't know where to introduce myself, I do to know.
Frenchman aged 64 , After having some Riva runabout during the past 30 years I'm now passing trough the Trawlers and I've chosen GB, particularly one Alaskan (I'm presenting negotiating) it's a 55 and I'm looking for all the info and drawings ... I can get from the forums. That's why I've suscribed in this forum;
Very best reds
Norbert

Thanks a lot for your welcome, I'm sorry but I didn't know where to introduce myself, I do to know.
Frenchman aged 64 , After having some Riva runabout during the past 30 years I'm now passing trough the Trawlers and I've chosen GB, particularly one Alaskan (I'm presenting negotiating) it's a 55 and I'm looking for all the info and drawings ... I can get from the forums. That's why I've suscribed in this forum;
Very best reds
Norbert

Salut Norbert, et bienvenue à bord.

Some pictures from my Grand Banks / Alaskan / American Marine Ltd's personal collection. Hope that would help.
Pics #8 & #9 : dealer commercial brochure from American Marine Ltd.
Pic #10 : my husband's parents aboard an Alaskan 55, long time ago.

Please keep us posted about your vessel.

Congratulations, Bon Vent et Bonne Mer !

Pilou

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 01_.jpg
    01_.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 13
  • ALASKAN 55 02.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 02.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 19
  • ALASKAN 55 03.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 03.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ALASKAN 55 03_.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 03_.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 16
  • ALASKAN 55 04.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 04.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ALASKAN 55 05.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 05.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ALASKAN 55 6.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 6.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 14
  • ALASKAN 55 7_.jpg
    ALASKAN 55 7_.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 25
  • ALASKAN 55_7.jpg
    ALASKAN 55_7.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 96
Thanks a lot, Pilou it's very helpful, and also enthusiastic to read . I'm for the moment negotiating the "beast" and if I succeed I Will post pictures of the GB.
Very bets regards to you. Merci beaucoup.
Norbert

Thanks a lot, Pilou it's very helpful, and also enthusiastic to read . I'm for the moment negotiating the "beast" and if I succeed I Will post pictures of the GB.
Very bets regards to you. Merci beaucoup.
Norbert

Avec plaisir ! Bonne chance and best wishes.

Pilou

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom