Need Northern Lights exhaust manifold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
I know this is a log shot and I'm trying Boatdiesel also but my new to me boat is in need of an exhaust manifold. The surveyor caught before I bought the boat. That was back in October. It has been on backorder since. Story is they are working with a new supplier. But I'm thinking someone might have one on a shelf somewhere. No luck on internet yet. Part no. 135606130
Thanks.
Pat

Give Charlie with Auxiliary Engine in Seattle a call, they just hooked me up with a new SS exhaust elbow for my 8kw NL genny and may have what you need. They are a great outfit!

Charlie Harris
Auxiliary Engine
6701 Seaview Ave NW
Seattle WA 98117
206-789-8496
auxiliaryeng@gmail.com

PatT - Call Northern Lights directly, they have excellent service. If they can not sell you one, they will refer you to a stocking dealer.

NL also has free classes to help you with owner servicing and selecting which spares to stock. Look on their website. They are a first-class operation.

If it is the mixing elbow you need, definitely buy the HDI one referred to above, not the factory one, or you'll be needing another fairly soon.

Are you looking for an exhaust manifold, or the exhaust/raw water mixing elbow?

By the part number he listed it is the actually Exhaust Manifold/ Expansion Tank that he is looking for........:thumb:

Attachments

• P753K (dragged).pdf
    162.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yes it is the manifold I need. Appreciate all suggestions guys. I have tried all of the above and just no luck. I may just have to wait.

If you can't get one, check with mesamarine.com. They make manifolds out of stainless to match just about every engine produced. Years ago purchased a set for my Perkins 6.354's which were an identical match for the existing at half the replacement cost (then).

Do a search here in TF. There is a guy who is parting out a 5kw northern lights.

Thanks. I found it and sent him a PM. I don't know enough but I assume the 8 and 5 kw use the same engine?

Thanks twisted,
It seems the part numbers are off by a hair. They sure look similar though. I've got 135606160, sounds like Pat needs 135606130.....?

Gabe

The 753 and 643/673 use different manifolds. 90% sure of that.

What went wrong with old one? Just an iron casting with no moving parts.

Need exhaust manifold

The 753 and 643/673 use different manifolds. 90% sure of that.

What went wrong with old one? Just an iron casting with no moving parts.

There was a leak detected at survey and the seller paid an mechanic to fix it. Could not get part and we closed the deal agreeing the work would be done. It was late October and the boat needed to be put away in CT. Here we are today and still no part so I start to worry - my plan is to take the boat home, Lake Michigan, starting end of May. Keep in mind the generator runs fine but I guess I am taking my chances the longer I run it. So I ask the mech how long to you think I have before the generator is not usable ( I knew this was a tough one)? His reply "Those manifolds are notorious for getting cracks or rod holes so big that the coolant fills up the cylinders and that one is showing signs of leaking but you cannot predict how long you have last time I tried to predict for somebody I thought they could run the generator for the next couple of weeks but I was wrong nothing bad happened they just had to pull the glow plugs and pump the the antifreeze out of the cylinders."
This is so tough for me not being there to look and touch. I'm in IL. And I have a million other things to think about before we hop aboard in May and I start learning this boat. Not my first post and guaranteed not my last cause I always get good feedback. Thanks.

FYI, word from my mech this morning is that Northern Lights will not offer this manifold anymore, so I guess it's obsolete. So those of you that have this 8Kw generator beware.
We have decided to try and repair this one by brazing the leak. Still wish I could find an old generator out there to pull a manifold off of. I know there is one out there somewhere.

What year and model is your generator?

What year and model is your generator?

I am states away from the boat and all documents are on board but I believe it is the M753 model. The boat is a 2001 and I am assuming the generator is original.

I am states away from the boat and all documents are on board but I believe it is the M753 model. The boat is a 2001 and I am assuming the generator is original.

One of our gennys is the 8kw M753K, I will confirm with the NL trainer the status of getting parts for ours.

FYI, word from my mech this morning is that Northern Lights will not offer this manifold anymore, so I guess it's obsolete. So those of you that have this 8Kw generator beware.
We have decided to try and repair this one by brazing the leak. Still wish I could find an old generator out there to pull a manifold off of. I know there is one out there somewhere.

I wouldn’t be concerned with a repair. A good welder / fabricator will make it as good as new. Be sure to pressure test after the repairs are completed.

I've worked on these things for 20yrs and never had to replace a manifold on one of these.

Very curious what went wrong with it.

Yes Charlie thanks. From what I have been told the leak was minor and my mech did mention pressure and magnaflux testing so I am hopeful.
Ski, like I said it's hard for me being so far away from the boat I just bought and I have no contact with the PO either. Hope to find out more after things are disassembled and looked at.

Custom built exhaust manifolds

I know this is a log shot and I'm trying Boatdiesel also but my new to me boat is in need of an exhaust manifold. The surveyor caught before I bought the boat. That was back in October. It has been on backorder since. Story is they are working with a new supplier. But I'm thinking someone might have one on a shelf somewhere. No luck on internet yet. Part no. 135606130
Thanks.
Pat

I was put off by the cast iron - and expensive - cast iron manifolds offered for my Perkins T6-354 and had a near exact replica made for it by Marine Exhaust Systems in Alabama. Tig-welded 316 Stainless, 1/4" and pressure tested. Expensive, but you buy it just once...Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

cheers, Doug

Last edited:
I was put off by the cast iron - and expensive - cast iron manifolds offered for my Perkins T6-354 and had a near exact replica made for it by Marine Exhaust Systems in Alabama. Tig-welded 316 Stainless, 1/4" and pressure tested. Expensive, but you buy it just once...Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

cheers, Doug
Yes Doug, thanks. They are also know as mesa marine. I emailed them and they don't carry it. They said they could probably make it but they need my old one to copy it.

Attachments

• 2F09DE74-4E37-44E3-8FA3-F174A8936B3D.jpg
    2F09DE74-4E37-44E3-8FA3-F174A8936B3D.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 10
Yes ORIF thanks, was one of the first places I checked. I am wondering if this part will eventually be changed to obsolete. I have conflicting stories on this but the one thing that is sure is that no one is getting this manifold anytime soon!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom