1980 Gulfstar 44MC survey questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DougRR

I have made an offer on a 1980 44MC which has been accepted (yeah!) and am currently scheduling a survey. I am finding conflicting information on the amount of balsa core used in the hull, and the usefulness of placing the boat on the hard for a few days prior to the survey to get more accurate moisture readings. Your knowledge of the hull construction and need to have the boat hauled is appreciated. Thanks!

You could try calling Lazzara Yachts in Tampa as they were the original builders of the Gulfstars. Or the Gulfstar Owners association

I looked in Powerboat Guide to see if it says whether or not the hull is cored below the waterline, a lot of times it says if they are or not but unfortunately it doesn’t say on the 44 MC.

I am in the middle of purchasing a 1985 49' and my surveyor said a section of the balsa on the bottom was wet. He also said she was cored to within a foot of the "keel". The yard will be (hopefully) repairing before we close. I will post more as I know more.

The 1980 Gulfstar 44MC should have a solid fiberglass hull. A good source for information are the facebook groups "Gulfstar Owners Association" and "Gulfstar Owners Group". Request to join the group then use the search function. You should be able to find what you are looking for. I have a 1978 44MC and it has a solid fiberglass hull.

I would think that all the 44s were built the same. However the 49 isn’t a full displacement hull like the 44 so I could believe that it is cored.

Back
Top Bottom