Just a virgin lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnyv

Hello and good day !!
So looking forward to learning more about trawlers.
My wife and I have been sailors for over 10 years now. We have a 30 ft Nonsuch sailing the great lakes.
Our plans are in a couple of years after the Mrs. retires to purchase a trawler and live on her during the winter months. Then heading back to Canada and sailing during the summer.
We're looking for around the 40-50 ft range. Easily handled for the two of us and comfortable for liveaboard.
Let the research begin lol
Looking forward to this new adventure in our lives !!!
Thanks in advance for your patience and looking forward to your collective knowledge in making our decision the best experience

John
Welcome aboard TF.
Where are you in Canada? We are in NY Finger Lakes but usually make a trip to Lk Ont, Rideau, 1,000 Is every year or so. 2019 we spent a few mos on Trent Severn and Georgian Bay... bucketlist cruise of a lifetime.
A good place to start thinking about trawlers os Boat Search 101
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14905

Thanks for the welcome Bacchus.
Currently we are sailing out of Port Bruce Ontario on Lake Erie. We will be there for a couple years yet, then we're looking to move either to the Kingston area or Georgian Bay and cruise the North Channel.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have more new members.

Thanks for the welcome Bacchus.
Currently we are sailing out of Port Bruce Ontario on Lake Erie. We will be there for a couple years yet, then we're looking to move either to the Kingston area or Georgian Bay and cruise the North Channel.
Both good locations with some really nice options for cruising. You might try a couple seasons around Kingston to see the sights and do a Rideau - St Lawrence mini loop (adding Lk Champlain & NY canals also possible).
Then move to Georgian Bay and find a nice home base. GB cruising is spectacular IMO and could keep you busy for a lifetime and not see or do everything.

My first Great lakes boat was a 32 foot Chris. It was perfect for us and the kids. After they left and a few year transpired we bought our 36 foot Albin.

It was a pretty sharp learning curve. The the Albin is a lot heavier, single engine, catches more wind and requires more maintenance.(just because of size). It carries a lot of inertia in docking and tying up.

I know the current consensus is to buy your last boat first, but a 40 to 50 foot boat generally requires a substantial amount of experience.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom