View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #50
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
They are simply saying you can run it at that speed and load until it won't run anymore.
So it's basically a meaningless discussion because what I'm interested in is maximizing the service life of the engine. Speaking about the FL120, which is the only marinized diesel I have any experience with, there is a ton of evidence that this engine will go and has gone 12,000 to 14,000 hours in recreational boat service when operated in the 1500-1800 rpm band and zero evidence that I've ever seen or heard about that it will go any specific length of time at all when operated as a boat's propulsion engine continuoulsy at 2500 rpm. Yes, Ford of England said it would run this way until it fails. But "until it fails" doesn't tell me anything of any value in terms of maximizing the service life.

Which gets us back to the WOT test topic. As Bob Lowe said, "I don't do stress tests on my engines to see if they will fail." Because one never knows when Ford's "until" will occur. Even Ford had no idea apparently although they soon learned their design was not up to the task they designed it for.

How other people operate their engines is of no concern to me. And my comments and the reasons we do what we do with our engines apply only to the Ford Dorset engine (base engine for the FL120). That's the only engine about which I have researched its development and history and have talked to people in the engine business about. Whether any of what I learned applies to other engines, even other Ford engines marinized by Lehman like the Dover, I have no idea.

Understand, Rick, that I have no argument with the points you've been making about engines and their rated power. You have forgotten more about marine diesels than I could ever hope to know. My perspective on the matter is solely geared toward maximizing the service life of the engines in our boat. While I won't live to see it, my focus is on having these engines reach that 12,000-14,000 hour mark. Even if we re-engine the boat down the road here a bit, that does not change our desire to maximize the service life-- and thus minimize the problems---of the engines we have now.

Which is why we follow the advice and recommendations of people who have dealt with the Dorset "back in the day" and who know from direct experience what shortens its life and what keeps it going and going like the Energizer Bunny and his damn drum.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote