Mercury's new 7.6L V12 600hp Verado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To all you early adopters:
Cool your jets!
600 HP is nowhere near the potential of a 7.6 L. V-12.
800 HP, anyone?

Greetings,
Mr. JLD. Good grief!!! I can hardly wait for the "small appendage" crowd to buy these. This boater will be able to eliminate 2 motors OR swap all 6 out....

Ah! Thanks for the term. I was sorely tempted to respond with the more commonly used term "penis compensation" but decided against it as I have been put on double secret probation for inappropriate terminology on this family site. Isn't the English language wonderful?

Greetings,
Mr. f. I don't think there would be any major problem with using the word "penis" as long as you were not using the word in an insulting manner. It's a proper medical term. On the other hand, you probably can't use the word "Dick".

iu

And lots of weight. Definitely a big boat type of outboard.
Cool as heck, though

What's not to go wrong? A mechanic's dream and a boat owner's nightmare.

There was a pretty in depth thread on these motors when they first came out. I think that mostly everyone was impressed.

I think they are around $75,000 each. How would you like to order two or three of these monsters?

pete

There was a pretty in depth thread on these motors when they first came out. I think that mostly everyone was impressed.

I think they are around $75,000 each. How would you like to order two or three of these monsters?

pete
Have you swim deck redone to push you at warp 1

A few thoughts: :dance:

We Love our swim step - using it very, very often for swimming as well as on/off loading of persons and items from our tow behind runabout! Not to mention a center-bridal for towing our runabout. Then, when there's need for a rear anchor...

Imagine landing a really big active fish on a sport fisher... while trying to control the boat with engines running... think fishing line might get tangled, fish getting filleted by propellers??

Tough to back into a dock and step off boat from a transom door.

Don't ever make a mistake and hit backwards into a dock or other solid thing @ $77,000 per outboard.

Following seas or head seas of size - wonder what that would be like for handling the boat as bow crests over the wave and furthest most rear props come out of water.

Kids swimming and someone mistakenly starts the engines - Huge F'n OUCH could happen!! Hell could break loose. :facepalm: :nonono:

All of those thoughts apply to any outboard. If at all. People can back into anything, with any type of boat.

In the Southern areas, the outboards are winning the cruising battle but to be an absolutely arrogant turd, I mean where there is there to cruise to anchoring night after night in new areas.

Now in the PNW, coastal BC and SE Alaska where God cruises, even God has an open swim grid which is taken up in transit with the dinghy.

pete

Threads merged

As with many large OBs I've seen, wouldn't these have a quick connect fresh water flush system? Would the drive system be able to be tilted out of the water?

A buddy of mine has triple 350 Mercs on an Azimut Verve or whatever it is called. It is not even a quick connect. It is literally a push of a button and uses onboard fresh water for the flush. The whole process is automated.

I like innovation and this is interesting.

The outboards have definitely infiltrated the mid 30s sport and day boats and a lot of the mid 30s fishing boats have had them for awhile. And lately into the 40 to 45 foot range.

I see the outboards virtually eliminating the inboard/outboard, and does any OEM put them on their boats anymore?

Now, with the advent of a diesel outboard, it could get even more exciting.

And considering a lot of these 35ft plus boats sell for $300k to well over a million, the $70k price tag is not an obstacle.

For us poor diesel trawler folk, we'll probably just stick with the IB diesel. It works pretty well.

With all the money being poured into making a 600 HP new engine, you would think there would be enough "cross over parts" that they could make a 150 HP diesel without much difficulty. I think a pair of those would be very much in demand for certain trawler designs.

I like innovation and this is interesting.

The outboards have definitely infiltrated the mid 30s sport and day boats and a lot of the mid 30s fishing boats have had them for awhile. And lately into the 40 to 45 foot range.

I see the outboards virtually eliminating the inboard/outboard, and does any OEM put them on their boats anymore?

Now, with the advent of a diesel outboard, it could get even more exciting.

And considering a lot of these 35ft plus boats sell for $300k to well over a million, the $70k price tag is not an obstacle.

For us poor diesel trawler folk, we'll probably just stick with the IB diesel. It works pretty well.

Seevee - In regard to this quote from you...

All I can say is: YUP, I/O's have seen their day!!

Just yesterday... I sold a boat with I/O. First and last I/O I'll ever own. Still own a twin screw straight drive inboard boat and a runabout outboard boat. Love both those type drive trains; will continue utilizing either. And, any boat I own needing over a single screw 200 hp. outboard will need to rather be a twin screw inboard. Of inboards, I prefer direct drive over V-drives.

Old time boater here... never looking to show off with four [4] - or more - $77K each, 400 HP outboards and the like. Pleassseeee!! Get over yourselves! :facepalm: :dance:

Art says;
“All I can say is: YUP, I/O's have seen their day!!”

And good riddance .....

With all the money being poured into making a 600 HP new engine, you would think there would be enough "cross over parts" that they could make a 150 HP diesel without much difficulty. I think a pair of those would be very much in demand for certain trawler designs.

The important part of this motor as far as diesels go is the two speed lower unit. Any gear train that can take the torque of a 650hp gas powerhead should also handle 400hp of diesel torque. Mercury will want to amortize their investment in this design by spreading it across their line.
They already announced a de-rated 500hp commercial version of the 12cyl motor. I fully expect there to be a diesel version at some point, but not 12 cylinder.

Seevee - In regard to this quote from you...

All I can say is: YUP, I/O's have seen their day!!

Just yesterday... I sold a boat with I/O. First and last I/O I'll ever own. Still own a twin screw straight drive inboard boat and a runabout outboard boat. Love both those type drive trains; will continue utilizing either. And, any boat I own needing over a single screw 200 hp. outboard will need to rather be a twin screw inboard. Of inboards, I prefer direct drive over V-drives.

Old time boater here... never looking to show off with four [4] - or more - $77K each, 400 HP outboards and the like. Pleassseeee!! Get over yourselves! :facepalm: :dance:

I’m not sure I get the bit about showing off: jealousy, envy? I see lots of triple and quad outboard installations with no hp markings on the outside, many don’t even have the makers name on them. How is that bragging or being full of ones self? Your response to multiple outboards says more about you than about the serious fisherman that use them as tools.

If your 55’ center console needs 1600hp to get the designed performance how else are you going to get there without multiple units on the transom? Upping the hp from 400 to 650 hp allows one to get the design hp with three units rather than four and all for the better. Efficiency goes up and so does range/economy. What’s not to like?

Here in our winter marina a 55’ CC fishing machine with quad 450’s has been going out everyday in all weather for the past month. It’s a perfect candidate for triple 650’s.

Last edited:
Once away from inboard diesels like most of us have, I can't see much advantage to a 500+ HP diesel outboard versus gas. Maybe in something like 150 HP like the TT35 has but not in an Azimut, Fountain or other go fast.

The trawler market is so small it seems the development dollars would result in a very pricey engine. Price out a Cummins 6.7 today for an inboard marine engine - you're approaching $50K before the cost of drive, development etc is added on.

I’m not sure I get the bit about showing off: jealousy, envy? I see lots of triple and quad outboard installations with no hp markings on the outside, many don’t even have the makers name on them. How is that bragging or being full of ones self? Your response to multiple outboards says more about you than about the serious fisherman that use them as tools.

If your 55’ center console needs 1600hp to get the designed performance how else are you going to get there without multiple units on the transom? Upping the hp from 400 to 650 hp allows one to get the design hp with three units rather than four and all for the better. Efficiency goes up and so does range/economy. What’s not to like?

Here in our winter marina a 55’ CC fishing machine with quad 450’s has been going out everyday in all weather for the past month. It’s a perfect candidate for triple 650’s.

"...jealousy, envy?" - a useless energy, certainly not an energy in my picture. Amazement at the showing off 4 to 6 BIG/Huge outboards in back of Super FANCY "do-nothing" boats [frolicking in and out of confused wave inlets], with clearly apparent show off persons aboard, that I've seen on videos, spurred the words in my post.

Did not mean to step on your toes. In your instance and for your circumstance of useful conditions I would feel self-security should rule for feeling self-correct. Doest thou protest too much?

I'm sure there are boat owners who utilize the enormous o/b numbers and hp. for being able to better make fishing successful. Obviously you are one.

Those are the boats that started it. People who want a fast boat to fish a decent distance from home, but don't want to spend big sport fish money (or want even more speed).

After that, people started buying them just to be cool and go fast to show off.

Once away from inboard diesels like most of us have, I can't see much advantage to a 500+ HP diesel outboard versus gas. Maybe in something like 150 HP like the TT35 has but not in an Azimut, Fountain or other go fast.

The trawler market is so small it seems the development dollars would result in a very pricey engine. Price out a Cummins 6.7 today for an inboard marine engine - you're approaching $50K before the cost of drive, development etc is added on.

I would think a 500hp diesel would be a great fit for all the commercial/law enforcement boats that run all day long. All the Towboats and harbor masters everywhere......Large ships that have diesel can have one fuel for their workboats/tenders, etc.

Like this guy....

Attachments

• tender.jpg
    tender.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 12
After that, people started buying them just to be cool and go fast to show off.

Well add 57 Chevies, Austin Healy 3000s, Corvettes, Volvo P1800s, Cobras, Porsches, Ferraris, Dusenbergs and Indian motorcycles to the very long list of fun toys.

"...jealousy, envy?" - a useless energy, certainly not an energy in my picture. Amazement at the showing off 4 to 6 BIG/Huge outboards in back of Super FANCY "do-nothing" boats [frolicking in and out of confused wave inlets], with clearly apparent show off persons aboard, that I've seen on videos, spurred the words in my post.

Did not mean to step on your toes. In your instance and for your circumstance of useful conditions I would feel self-security should rule for feeling self-correct. Doest thou protest too much?

I'm sure there are boat owners who utilize the enormous o/b numbers and hp. for being able to better make fishing successful. Obviously you are one.

Well, I do have twin 650’s in my current boat and a single 500 in the previous. But I haven’t been fishing in over 45 years....... However I do see the sense in multiple outboards and do not assume that all those who drive them are show-offs. Maybe less time inside watching videos and more time outside watching boats and the serious captains who run them?

Well add 57 Chevies, Austin Healy 3000s, Corvettes, Volvo P1800s, Cobras, Porsches, Ferraris, Dusenbergs and Indian motorcycles to the very long list of fun toys.

Don’t forget Harleys and Alfa Romeo Spider Veloces and GTs. ������������

Back
Top Bottom