Inline Fuel Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z1nonlyone

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lucky Us
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 39
Hi, I want to install an electric fuel pump before the lift pump on the engine for the purpose of a backup fuel pump and also for bleeding the filters after changing them. Has anyone done this and do you know what I should be looking for as far as presure, etc.. I know it would have to allow fuel to flow when it was powered off. If the lift pump on the engine "went out" would it still allow fuel to pass through it when using the electric fuel pump?

thanks,

chris

I put Racor priming pumps in my Racors. They work great for priming, not sure about continuous running through.

Either the electric or lift pump will allow flow if they are off. The pump valves are one way valves that only allow fuel flow toward the engine. On a new pump blow on the inlet side and you'll feel no restriction.
The pump just needs to be somewhere in the line between the Racor and the lift pump. Mount a switch near it for bleeding filters. If you pull power off the engine or battery, add an inline fuse.
Pump shown was about $20 on ebay. Amazon probably similar.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 21
I installed mine in a separate "loop". See picture

Attachments

• fuel system.jpg
    fuel system.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 34
Hi, I want to install an electric fuel pump before the lift pump on the engine for the purpose of a backup fuel pump and also for bleeding the filters after changing them. Has anyone done this and do you know what I should be looking for as far as presure, etc.. I know it would have to allow fuel to flow when it was powered off. If the lift pump on the engine "went out" would it still allow fuel to pass through it when using the electric fuel pump?

thanks,

chris

If you care and it could come back in a future survey, there are some ABYC suggestions on fuel systems that you might want to consider.

My older (and may not be current) discusses fuel pump location, breaks in fuel lines between tanks and engine, power sources for fuel pumps, etc....

The pump should be positioned to suck thru the fuel filter bank , not push the fuel thru.

This keeps the water molecules together , easier to filter out.

Why not a simple outboard rubber bulb if its for occasional use?

A rubber bulb would be sufficient for bleeding the filters for sure,,,I was just thinking that an electric pump could double as the main fuel pump in case the engines lift pump fails.

I see you have a Kadey Krogen you probably have a Ford engine.
In all my days I've never had a lift pump fail, the only possibility you may find with the Ford is if your engine oil level begins to rise.
That could either be, a perforated diaphragm on your lift pump but the engine will continue to run as normal, or, the other cause is the excess fuel lines between the injectors under the rocker cover sometimes crack at the brazed joints.
If you have the sandwich type CAV fuel filters you can buy a conversion kit with an integrated hand primer and change them to 'spin on' canister filters.
When you wish to change your spin on fuel filters get a quart of diesel in a bottle,a plastic bag and some rags.
Run your engine until warm, then place a plastic bag around your old filter (to catch any drips) and remove the filter. Remove the old rubber sealing ring, wipe it with oil/diesel and replace, then carefully fill your new canister fuel filter full of diesel from the bottle and carefully spin it on hand tight, wipe it clean and then firmly hand tighten again.
If you've done it properly your engine should start on tickover without bleeding, if it stops push the hand primer until firm and then start the engine whilst pushing the hand primer.
There's absolutely no need to fit an electric pump. K.I.S.S.
Wipe everything clean, wash your hands, job done now you can pull the top off a cold one.

Last edited:
I had Walbro pumps similar to the one on the right of jleonard's photo. Courtesy of one of the PO's, they were between the fuel tank and the primary (Racor), and they primed both the Racor as well as the secondary quite effectively. Once the Racor filled, the fuel went on to the engine pump and thence the secondary. This was on a boat equipped with Detroit 8v92tii's.

Back
Top Bottom