Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnAngel03

Vessel Name
Wayward Sun
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
Hi everyone. My name is Angel and I am looking for my first boat. I’ve worked in the charter boat industry for 3 years and I want to buy my own. I plan on doing some charters just to help pay for costs but, my main goal is to enjoy the hell out of the boat and get out on the water as much as possible. Like I said, this will be the first boat that I own. I have some boat maintenance experience but, I will be asking a lot of questions. By the way, I’m looking for a Mainship Pilot 30, so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it. Looking forward to making some like minded friends.

Welcome from afar, ironically there is one a short distance from where I am but it's in Canada on the West wet coast so I won't link it. Curious, do you do much fishing, the ones I've seen are fishing boats.

Welcome from afar, ironically there is one a short distance from where I am but it's in Canada on the West wet coast so I won't link it. Curious, do you do much fishing, the ones I've seen are fishing boats.
No I don’t actually. I plan on using it more as a day cruiser, maybe some snorkeling and such. I would also love to use it as an overnighter with my wife on occasion. The fishermen over here use strictly center consoles and convertibles. Canada is a little far from Miami but, thanks.

Welcome aboard. Do you have a captain’s license? To do charters you will need one. Good luck and have fun looking.

Welcome - Good luck... Have a blast!! - Art

Hi everyone. My name is Angel and I am looking for my first boat. I’ve worked in the charter boat industry for 3 years and I want to buy my own. I plan on doing some charters just to help pay for costs but, my main goal is to enjoy the hell out of the boat and get out on the water as much as possible. Like I said, this will be the first boat that I own. I have some boat maintenance experience but, I will be asking a lot of questions. By the way, I’m looking for a Mainship Pilot 30, so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it. Looking forward to making some like minded friends.

Hi and welcome. Regarding your boat choice, the Mainship 30 is a good choice, I looked at a few. I ended up buying a Mainship 355 (really a Mainship 31, renamed as 355 in later years). They may not be as easy to find, but if you can, look at a 31 and compare to the 30. You wouldn't think they should be much different but they are. There were 2 things I noticed immediately that made the difference to me. The 30 has very narrow side decks. Going forward to the bow is like walking a tightrope and something I could not deal with. Also in the 31, you get a legit queen-sized main berth, not the fold-out version in the 30. They also have the galley up top which is easier than below and allows for a couple extra bunks below. I think The next logical choice is the Pilot 34, but that may be bigger than you want. But definitely look at the 31 vs. the 30 if you can. You'll never regret buying a little bigger boat!

Go slowly on your charter plans and don't plan on making much money doing it. You will need your captains license and different variety of insurance. Your boat handling skills will have to be impeccable and you will need a wealth of local knowledge.

I know hundreds of boat owners. The only people who make any money with charters are fishing charters. They must go out every day, sometimes twice a day. The bottom line for them is mostly pretty dismal.

Instead of charters maybe an Air BnB or something similar would be better.

Good Luck,

pete

Go slowly on your charter plans and don't plan on making much money doing it. You will need your captains license and different variety of insurance. Your boat handling skills will have to be impeccable and you will need a wealth of local knowledge.

I know hundreds of boat owners. The only people who make any money with charters are fishing charters. They must go out every day, sometimes twice a day. The bottom line for them is mostly pretty dismal.

Instead of charters maybe an Air BnB or something similar would be better.

Good Luck,

pete

Pete - you are so very correct!

Wow - I could write a small essay on trying to profitably do 6-pack sight seeing charters/cruises/tours with your boat.

In context I'll simply say... If you'd like to accomplish all the legal minutia, insurance coverages, boat captain licenses, CG safety requirements, charter schedules, at dock payments/pre-payments/return-payments/seeking-payments/cancelled-payments, on board customer disputes, sudden seasickness episodes, keeping refreshments available, making sure life vests are clean and fitted/attached correctly to each aboard, late-customer showings, unexpected weather changes, on-board - during cruise mechanical breakdowns, fuel cost increases, need to keep your "tour-boat" pristine clean... and during all these circumstances - keep lilt in your voice as you constantly enhance the traveling public's knowledge of the area as well as a Big Smile on your face - - - Then, Go For It!!

A few things are for sure - You will be around-of, thinking-about, worrying-for, caring-for, keeping-books-about, tending-to, spending-money-on and using your boat more often than you ever thought possible.

One thing that is not for sure - You will make anyway near enough money to make what I mention above worthwhile doing. :whistling:

Last edited:
Ive said it before..There really is no legal way to make money owning a boat.

pete

pete

Agreed!

However I want to clarify. "No legal way to make money"... by owning a relatively small pleasure boat. Pleasure boats are simply a cost for enjoying the "pleasure thereof".

There is good money for some types of big individual working boats or fleets of working boats.

Also, I know a sightseeing/tour boat owner who makes money by owning a few large, multi passenger cruise boats for SF Bay. She has a full fledged business on going! That's a lot different that having a little 6-pack size private boat and trying to make $$$ with it.

Good Luck ! Welcome
Mainship great boat ! i had one for 8 seasons here in Long Island Great South bay. Yanmar 6lp...2003 Pilot, Just upgraded to a 34T.:thumb:

Attachments

• 20200916_175457 (1).jpg
    20200916_175457 (1).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200916_175110.jpg
    20200916_175110.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 10

pete

Probably the most untrue thing I have ever read on TF.

Like saying no business can succeed because many fail.

Comes from a total lack of experience in the marine world I can only guess.

One of the first examples of making money around boats was my old boss...he knew every way. One of his first successes, he bought an old houseboat for peanuts....stripped the house off, decked it and has been renting it and making ten of thousands over the last 30 years or so. One other early success was a 26 foot Shamrock as a Sea Tow boat still working 30 years later...another huge success story. Large boats succeeding over small must be relative.

Some advice here.....well.... what can I say.

You want to make money in boats????.... think like a businessman, not a boater.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. The 31 would fit my needs perfectly. Unfortunately, my Max is about $65,000. Thanks for your advice though.

I’ve heard my share of both sides and I’ve done a lot of research. I’ve done about 2 years of just research as a matter of fact. The truth is I don’t need to make a bunch of money. I have another job. My goal is to offset or pay for the boat and dockage. If I break even, I would be thrilled. But... thanks for all the advice.

Actually in some places I have been, fishing charters are out because fishing stinks in some places.

Sightseeing, whale watching and sunset cruises make money hand over fist because of liquor and catering charges. True the larger boats do very well, but even six packs can make more with non fishing charters in some locations.

No one is saying it isn't work, but what successful business isn't? Spare change? Possible but it's still some work vs a pleasure.

Probably the most untrue thing I have ever read on TF.

Like saying no business can succeed because many fail.

Comes from a total lack of experience in the marine world I can only guess.

One of the first examples of making money around boats was my old boss...he knew every way. One of his first successes, he bought an old houseboat for peanuts....stripped the house off, decked it and has been renting it and making ten of thousands over the last 30 years or so. One other early success was a 26 foot Shamrock as a Sea Tow boat still working 30 years later...another huge success story. Large boats succeeding over small must be relative.

Some advice here.....well.... what can I say.

You want to make money in boats????.... think like a businessman, not a boater.

No offence meant - But!

You're talking about beat-em-up, service oriented work boats. There's plenty of relatively easily-legal fashions to make good money that way.

Whereas a personally loved, +/- 30' pleasure craft occasionally used for 6-Pack cruising... that covers all the required legal parameters regarding care for and protection of paying passengers [customers] is a whole different ball game. No where near as easy to make $$$ as the "work boat" scenario mentioned above.

Sure, you can run below the legal requirements and take people out that [in one way or another] pay you for the ride without having all the legal stuff taken care of and firmly in place. But - I Warn: In doing so and any passenger/customer is damaged [God forbid killed] while under your care on or about the boat - You could be sued for much money, maybe for million$!

Be careful - Think things through...

Actually in some places I have been, fishing charters are out because fishing stinks in some places.

Sightseeing, whale watching and sunset cruises make money hand over fist because of liquor and catering charges. True the larger boats do very well, but even six packs can make more with non fishing charters in some locations.

No one is saying it isn't work, but what successful business isn't? Spare change? Possible but it's still some work vs a pleasure.
Here in Miami fishing is big but tourism is even bigger. Most of the tourists just want to get out on the water and play. Sunset cruises are big because of the cityscapes. I have a buddy that has a 20’ deck boat, and he’s making money. Of course it’s work but I think it will be worth it because it will be mine.

No offence meant - But!

You're talking about beat-em-up, service oriented work boats. There's plenty of relatively easily-legal fashions to make good money that way.

Whereas a personally loved, +/- 30' pleasure craft occasionally used for 6-Pack cruising... that covers all the required legal parameters regarding care for and protection of paying passengers [customers] is a whole different ball game. No where near as easy to make $$$ as the "work boat" scenario mentioned above.

Sure, you can run below the legal requirements and take people out that [in one way or another] pay you for the ride without having all the legal stuff taken care of and firmly in place. But - I Warn: In doing so and any passenger/customer is damaged [God forbid killed] while under your care on or about the boat - You could be sued for much money, maybe for million$!

Be careful - Think things through...
Again, I just want to make $ not $$$. I’ve done the research and I know what I want to do is not a very profitable endeavor, especially after all the work. I just hope it pays for itself.

Sorry Art, but you haven't seen many of the tour boats I have seen....

Legal doesn't cost as much as pretty and pretty is less important than other factors based on the many charter boats I have come across. Sure pretty for the high end stuff, but there are bucks to be made elsewhere. And who said the houseboat or Shamrock weren't just pleasure boats that could have continued on instead of commercial service?

To make a broad statement like you can't make money on a boat is wrong on so many accounts I won't even respond further....I will let peoples own experiences guide them.

I did say it's more about business sense than boating skills....remember the pet rock?

Last edited:
One thing to remember, I think charter boats have to be American built or you have to get a waiver ( not impossible but another hurdle).

I used to know but memory is getting shorter as life gets longer, but I think that 6 packs, uninspected, do not have to be built in the US. The Jones Act is what you will be dealing with and if it is required to be built in the US and you have a foreign built boat it literally takes an act of congress to get a waiver. Not impossible to do but difficult.

One thing to remember, I think charter boats have to be American built or you have to get a waiver ( not impossible but another hurdle).

So far... I haven't read posts from 30' boat owners being financially successful providing 6-pack tours, who have chimed in on this thread. Imagine there are some. Hope to hear from them. :ermm:

Mainship is built in the U.S., so I’m good there.

Nothing against any of the advice. I'm sure that it's true in many respects and meant with the best intentions. However, Angel clearly stated at the beginning that they are buying a boat primarily for pleasure and if they can make a little side money from chartering (which they have some experience in), that would be a bonus. They never said they plan to make a full-time living from chartering and pay for the boat and all expenses. There's a big difference between running a profitable charter business, and doing a few occasional charters to offset some portion of their boating expenses. A little positive advice and encouragement couldn't hurt for some first-time owners! I know that brutal honesty is meant well, but don't lose track of what they are really looking to do.

Nothing against any of the advice. I'm sure that it's true in many respects and meant with the best intentions. However, Angel clearly stated at the beginning that they are buying a boat primarily for pleasure and if they can make a little side money from chartering (which they have some experience in), that would be a bonus. They never said they plan to make a full-time living from chartering and pay for the boat and all expenses. There's a big difference between running a profitable charter business, and doing a few occasional charters to offset some portion of their boating expenses. A little positive advice and encouragement couldn't hurt for some first-time owners! I know that brutal honesty is meant well, but don't lose track of what they are really looking to do.
Oh my gosh thank you lol. I thought nobody paid attention to that part of it. Everyone kept mentioning about making money. If you disagree that it’s possible to make enough money to offset all or some of the costs, then I’m listening. I mainly want to be able to afford having a nice boat and keep it in the water. If at the end of the year my business lost $3000 I’m still happy.

And good because this on 6 pack vessels....

2. U.S. Built Requirement. Regardless of the type of registration the boat must have been built in
the United States and have coastwise privilege. If the boat is foreign built and more than 3
years old, it may obtain a waiver of the U.S. Built requirement from the Maritime Administration
by paying certain fees and making an application.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom