VHF antenna rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
I am not greatly optimistic but living in hope that some one can help me with this inquiry I have drawn blanks here locally and cannot even get Shakespeare to respond.
I have suffered a lightening strike on my 2 meter VHF antenna, the fiberglass pole, chromed brass base is fine apart from a burn mark and the internal 36inch brass rod and accompanying 2 1/2inch brass tube soldered at the base are fine however the coax entry and connections at the base are fried and internal soldering where coax center was soldered to rod melted.
I have purchased a new coax cable and am seeking advice as to how to rebuild etc.
I am presuming the coax center will be soldered to the 36 inch brass rod as previously however unsure as to where to attach the earth braid and whether any other fittings are required.
Any help available would be greatly appreciated

Personally I would not trust an antenna that has been struck by lightning. The VHF is a primary safety device and as such I would not trust a damaged antenna for calling in an emergency. Just my 2 cents worth...

A 2-m Shakespeare antenna - one of the least expensive things you can buy for a boat isn't it? Last one I bought was about $50 . . .

Phil,
a 36-inch VHF is a half-wave end-fed monopole. They generally do not require a ground plane, however, there could be some type of transformer or matching circuit inside the base that is used to help match the very high impedance of the antenna to the low (50-ohm) impedance of the coax. I can't speak for shakespeare so I don't know how they do this matching.

Why wouldn't you just replace it rather than guess at a repair? You may end up spending more on a bandaid fix..

Sorry it’s trash for use on a boat.

Wanting to rebuild for landbased/home use just for the hell of it got so many old lying aroind

Back
Top Bottom