SeriusXM Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greypearl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Grey Pearl
Vessel Make
OA 50 Mark 1
Hello Everyone, I know things are evolving quickly and this is new. But does anyone have any experience with SeriusXM Marine on the BC Coast and/or the Sea of Cortez.

We use it in the PNW up to SE AK. We've had some dead spots but it generally works pretty well. We also have in our cars. A good product in my opinion.

I have had the radio subscription for years, I love it. I get pestered to buy the navigation and weather apps but I just like to have the music uninterrupted by commercials. Reception is always good.

pete

OK that's a start. Anything is better than listening to the VHF. I'm just trying to avoid the cost for satellite internet. Hopefully SeriusXM marine is adequate. I hear Elon Musk is going to be greatly increasing the data availability. That will probably shake things up a bit.

I had it a few years back. Good variety of music, news, sports, etc, but the audio quality is atrocious. I found it unpleasant enough that I cancelled. If you use the streaming app instead of a satellite receiver, the quality is much better. But... that requires internet, which defeats the purpose.

The satellite quality is bad because they have limited spectrum available, and compress the hell out of it so they can squeeze in more channels.

I am going to be using the new Furuno receiver BBWX4 for the TZ3. I haven't talked to anyone using it yet.

I've had an aviation XM weather subscription for years and only recently cancelled it because there's other weather products that are free, not quite as good, and I've got great onboard weather equipment....

Did the marine XM for about 6 months and while it was a good product, not good enough to compete with free weather on the internet. Now, if one is in places where there's no internet, it's GREAT. With satellite reception it's always available.

Just as a side note..... a friend of mine was the second new hire at Sirius XM when they were starting and was instrumental in launching their satellites. Actually went to Russia where they rented a Russian plane to launch them. Cool.

Does Sirius XM marine also have radio? I bought my radio with Sirius and had an external antenna installed to pick it up. But I am nervous as to how well it will work. I have Sirius in my car and it cuts in and out constantly driving around Parksville/Qualicum and Courtney/Comox.

Also I'm kind of pissed you don't get a discount for the second install of Sirius. To have two separate units - car and boat - is the price of two units, no discount for a second unit.

Yes thank you for all the feedback. This is Furuno's second crack at this. The interface is a new improved one at half the price. Old one is discontinued. I want to use it here in the PNW in remote areas. And then next fall I am looking at the Sea of Cortez. In the past the weather has always been an issue there. And my wife and I are getting fussy in our old age and we don't have as tough a boat anymore. So have to be careful. Technology is moving fast and some of it is incredible.

Yes you can get the radio added on to the Marine package. I have had the radio on the boats for a decade or more. It is good product. You go through the music pretty quick but you can stay up to date on news and sports. Now if this weather is adequate i will be very happy.

Last edited:
Does Sirius XM marine also have radio? I bought my radio with Sirius and had an external antenna installed to pick it up. But I am nervous as to how well it will work. I have Sirius in my car and it cuts in and out constantly driving around Parksville/Qualicum and Courtney/Comox.

Also I'm kind of pissed you don't get a discount for the second install of Sirius. To have two separate units - car and boat - is the price of two units, no discount for a second unit.

If you mount the antenna well on the boat with no obstructions, I'd expect it to work better than in a car. There's usually less stuff right around a boat to interrupt the signal. Different part of the country, but the only times I've had Sirius reception drop out on my boat is when passing under a bridge slowly.

Different part of the country, but the only times I've had Sirius reception drop out on my boat is when passing under a bridge slowly.

The further south one travels the better the reception. The satellites have been placed to hit the greatest number in the American population, this is just good business. Its not that they don't care about us further north, it's just they don't care if you know what I mean. Their working model is good for the majority. So when I am driving, our really really big trees will block signals.

But logically there are no trees on the water, in the water - yes - but not on the water. But we do have fjords, also called inlets and more northern remote areas. So for the locals reading this, would I get Sirius at the Texada Boat Club marina or in Squirrels Cove or how about Grace Harbour? What's the signal like in SE Alaska I wonder?

Back
Top Bottom