Nordhavn vs. bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
https://youtu.be/fStXMQOw32c

The captain must have had a total brain fart to forget to call the bridge. I’m sure the tender was wondering what he was doing.

You can't see a whole lot in the video, but I think they knew they were close and were inching up to see if they could make it. I say that because if they had just been cruising along and had a "total brain fart" they would have been going faster (they looked like they approached at bare minimum steerageway).

Or, if you took the video and know different, obviously I'm only watching 18 seconds of Tik-Tok/music with a stern view.

Yes he hit very softy, maybe even no damage. Probably didn't read clearance correctly.

David

I can't tell for sure that he even hit in the video. It almost looked like he got very, very close and slammed it in reverse.

I went under a bridge in Fla at night and put a slight scratch on the top of my radome. Not from the first steel, but the second. I was up there on the fly just inching along. Made it under the first, figured the bridge was symmetric. Well, it was off an inch. Did not do that again!!

Is that a permanent mast in the middle between the paravanes? Typically the bridges down there want outriggers and other easy to lower items like antennas to be lower rather than raise the bridge.

I used to have what seemed like a regular somewhat friendly dialog with the morning tender of the Andrews Avenue bridge over the New River. I made a point of lowering my tall antennas to get under as many bridges as possible. At certain tide levels, even with them down I knew I was about 6 inches tall. He always said, he thought I should be able to get under. I replied, ok, you want to buy me a new radar if I can't? Up went the bridge.

Once we were too late in departure and the bridges were closed for rush hour. We had a hydraulic arch, which required unfastening the double bimini that attached to either side of it, which I did. As we passed under he obviously recognized me and radio'ed "see I told you you could get under!" Sadly that was also the last time we ever went through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom