Cat 3208 water in engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkeyville

Vessel Name
Monkeyville
Vessel Make
1987 DeFever 41
Hi Folks !
New here from Nova Scotia, Canada.
Just checking with any DeFever owners that may have problems with water in the oil. My 41 DeFever has a Caterpillar 3208 naturally aspirated that works great, but when at the mooring in rough weather, there seems to be water backwashing into the engine thru the exhaust. It never happens when running. People Ive asked say its a gasket leak somewhere, but I find it hard to believe. The last two previous owners mentioned this problem and I've had the boat for 10 years.
I'm looking at getting new risers that will be taller, and have more of a "drop" for the water to exit. There is not that much slope on the exhaust and I believe this is the problem.
Thanks in advance for any insights.

Hi Folks !
New here from Nova Scotia, Canada.
Just checking with any DeFever owners that may have problems with water in the oil. My 41 DeFever has a Caterpillar 3208 naturally aspirated that works great, but when at the mooring in rough weather, there seems to be water backwashing into the engine thru the exhaust. It never happens when running. People Ive asked say its a gasket leak somewhere, but I find it hard to believe. The last two previous owners mentioned this problem and I've had the boat for 10 years.
I'm looking at getting new risers that will be taller, and have more of a "drop" for the water to exit. There is not that much slope on the exhaust and I believe this is the problem.
Thanks in advance for any insights.

I think your diagnosis is correct. It is no uncommon for that to happen. Try to figure out where your waterline is. Ideally your riser will go at least 12 inches above that.

You can buy 20' of 1/4" vinyl hose for like 8 bucks and dip one end overboard, and bring the other end into the ER. Will give you an exact water line on the risers.

Agreed that the factory Cat risers are not very high for a 3208N. The T and TA version has the turbo outlet much higher. And a 41 Defever has that motor down pretty low.

Find out the true height. With that known, fixes can be proposed. Taller welded SS risers with dry wrapped midsection is one.

I had a PenYann gasser which had the same problem. Your diagnosis sounds correct and it is what cured my problem.

pete

I replaced the risers on my Cat 3208 naturals not too long ago. The part numbers are 8L3453 and 8L3454, left and right. Photos below. Top of the riser is well above water line on my GB42. Like any part that comes in a Cat box...they’re pricy!

Attachments

• 2F92BF05-5A90-47C2-9675-822B7576B8AA.jpg
    2F92BF05-5A90-47C2-9675-822B7576B8AA.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 9D565830-1991-400E-BFC4-A65329F3A819.jpg
    9D565830-1991-400E-BFC4-A65329F3A819.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 14
Thanks to everyone who replied !
I'll be having a closer look this week, still cold here and she's covered up. I'm in touch with Greenwater Marine about some new higher risers if need be. Anyone have experience with them ? Thanks !

With higher risers be sure that water injection is on the downhill side. As Ski mentioned, heat wrap the up hill side.

Does the vessel have a water lift muffler after the existing elbow or is it a straight shot from the elbows to outlet?

I sure hope that thing hasn't sat all winter with water in it?

Back
Top Bottom